Thread: Keeping Wild Animals as Pets

Keeping Wild Animals as Pets

My heart is pounding. I cannot condone keeping wild animals of ANY kind as pets, no matter how much they might "love mommy"!!! I have no patience with the attitude that says "I can do this because I know how". Please, Pet-Of-The-Day, do not show us these "pets". The exotic animal trade, including the breeders who sell at exotics auctions, is brutal and gruesome!! DO WHAT YOU CAN TO STOP THE PRACTICE OF SELLING AND KEEPING EXOTICS/WILD ANIMALS AS PETS!! How much more appropriate to do what you can to further the cause of natural environment for our wild ones!

CatsMom,

How wonderfully said! I love this site, in fact, it's my favorite on the web. However, the displaying of wild animals as "pets" may make more people "want a wild animal as a pet/status symbol". I also feel that the owning of a wild animal is not only cruel to the animal but it's dangerous to the caretakers. It seems that it truly is more of a status symbol then anything else, what's wrong with having a dog or cat? How could anyone need more "pet" then that?

We knew Cindy would be a controversial choice - please, please read http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/Forum15/HTML/000118.html which explains better Cindy's story. She was rescued from certain death, and is loved and protected.

I wonder if you people would also freak out about my gambian pouched rat, Myguy, whose parents and grandparents were born in captivity but whose great grandparents were wild caught, or if you're just getting angry about this one because they animal in question is a cougar.

There are many issues raised by your message. Let me begin by stating some of my beliefs:
    • I certainly do not want to support or condone brutality.
    • I do not want wild animals captured solely for pets.
    • I think that non-domesticated animals such as Takara can be considered pets.
    • I would like to preserve nature as much as possible.
    • I am continually learning about our amazing world. I appreciate the positive spirit of your message.

I understand every pet has different needs. Why is keeping an exotic pet wrong?

I want to do everything possible to stop brutality. Is everyone in the exotic animal trade really brutal?

I would like to stop the brutality that goes on in the dog trade. From what I have surmised more animals suffer in puppy mills than the trade of any other species of animal. When I think of everything bad that happens in the dog trade sometimes I think humanity is not worthy of keeping dogs as pets. Then I read the stories we get from people all over the world. For me Pet of the Day is a special place. Several people have emailed me to tell me that Pet of the Day restores their faith in humanity. This remarkable statement is also true for me. There are good dog owners, breeders, and lovers out there. Just because there is enormous suffering in the dog trade is not a reason to stop Dog of the Day. On the contrary, I hope it is an another reason for Dog of the Day to exist.

The easiest thing for us to do would be to stop showing exotic pets. But I do not think that would be the right thing to do unless almost everyone in the exotic animal trade is necessarily brutal.

Before Pet of the Day I would have rejected the notion of a pet whale. I do not want any whales removed from the oceans. I can not imagine any man-made tank would be large enough for a newborn whale much less a pod of whales. I would like to see all whales released, if it would be in their best interest. But what about the poor whale Takara that is in captivity now? I have been to Sea World in San Diego and I am not sure that I want to support it. However, after reading Takara's amazing story I think Takara is a good Pet of the Day. Would you not want to know about Takara's story? Even if I wanted to prevent people from financially supporting Sea World how can I not tell people the wonderful story of Takara?

I do not even know all the kinds of exotic pets that exist in captivity in the world. Are they all unsuitable? Why?

I had never heard of a duprasi before Cricket. Are all duprasi breeders brutal?

I had never heard of a degu before Dude. Are all degu breeders brutal?

Are all bison breeders brutal? Before Pet of the Day I would not imagine a pet owner saying my bison Dunbar is just like a kitten.

I have learned a lot about the relationship between people and pets since I started Pet of the Day three years ago. Pet of the Day has become about celebrating the positive relationships between ourselves and our pets.

Thank you for your messages. Please continue to help us understand our world and make it a better place.

[This message has been edited by Paul (edited January 15, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Paul (edited January 15, 2001).]

Perfectly, beautifully stated Paul. We have had many dogs, cats and pets of the day who, after closer consideration, may have been deemed inappropriate as "household pets"...As you said Paul, from bison, to birds, to snakes to squirrels, to ferrets and rats: Creatures living outside of their natrual environments for sure. Are they loved, well cared for? Most certainly. Are they better off than if they were left to fend for themselves in a cruel or hostile "natural" environment, oft times created by HUMAN hands? Therein lies the dilemma.

Indescriminate over breeding of cats and dogs as well as exotics or "wild animals"...persians with severely compromised respiratory systems and NO NOSES!!! "Munchkin" kittys with deformed limbs, bred for no other reason than their saleable uniqueness and the amusement of humans. Goldens, labs, shepherds with hip dyplasia, congenital eye problems, behavioral problems etc. All borne out of inappropriate, indescriminate breeding. Tail docking, ear cropping, declawing...All result of natural selection? Or "SELECTIVE selection?!!" The breeding of preferred "pedigree" animals with traits created by and for humans in order to satisfy their own wants, needs, PHYSICAL PREFERENCES for selfish, self-satisfying reasons, monetary or otherwise.

In a perfect world, considering the millions of unwanted cats and dogs destroyed every year, NO ONE would begin to consider PAYING for an animal bred for momentary compensation when adoption would mean the difference between life and death for lonely, homeless creatures. Yet many of us, good, caring people who love animals, do. And the poor plight of the pet store purchase. We have selected several of these beautiful animals as dog or cat or pet of the day. We all hate and DEPLORE animal mills. We all say "Do not buy a puppy from a pet store." But..they are there. They are lonely and homeless and perhaps needing of love and care more than others. Do we condemn those who provide these animals, who, through no fault of their own, ARE here and desperately needing of a home? Do we "rescue" them? Or, out of justifiable outrage for the methods by which they were brought into this world, turn our backs and take the "correct" moral stand, refusing to purschase them, thereby condemning them to FURTHER misery and neglect?

I do not have the answer. It is certainly a viscous cycle that needs to be broken, NOW. That's for sure. Most effectively perhaps, through each one of us individually doggedly pursuing legislation which would forever and always outlaw these facilities and severely punish those who run/promote these disgusting businesses.

I believe we have all, as members of the human, animal loving family, in some manner unwittingly contributed to this problem, if not directly, then by ignorance, indifference, or complacency. As animals lovers, we must ALL collectively take responsibility for the plight of these animals and proactively work towards meeting the goal of protecting and caring for all living creatures, assuring them of the best of all possible lives in this challenging, often cruel and unfair world..

[This message has been edited by tatsxxx11 (edited January 16, 2001).]

Well put, Sandra. Can't add a single thing to your comments, or Paul's for that matter. This has been a hearty discussion and eye opening for all of us. Thanks again.
    Logan