Thread: How do I know it's not his kidneys?

How do I know it's not his kidneys?

For all of you who have had kitties with chronic renal failure, can you give me an idea of what the symptoms are when it starts getting bad? Just curious because I'm assuming his problem is just the weather we're having is aggravating his arthritis, but how do I know it's not his kidneys starting to seriously fail?

He drinks whenever he gets up and whenever I bring a bowl of water to him, but he's really not eating much at all. He licked the gravy part of his wet food treat this morning, but again didn't eat the chunks. I broke them up into really tiny tiny pieces hoping he would eat them, but no such luck. Peanut was happy to help clean up the leftovers though - my little piglet girl.

I'm trying to see if I can get him into a vet either later today or tomorrow morning, but needless to say my regular vet is booked (sometimes they are just so helpful ) and my alternate vet is booked too, so I'm looking for another alternate. I just want a second opinion and to be sure it's just his arthritis.

Thanks so much for all your help!
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

"... I'm trying to see if I can get him into a vet either
    later today or tomorrow morning,
    but needless to say my regular vet is booked ..."

I'd ask to speak to at least the Senior Receptionist or Tech -
    and REMIND him/her that your Tubby is a REGULAR Client;
    you feel Very Concerned about his condition;
    and you'd Appreciate an "emergency visit" TODAY!

We've had a crisis or two over the years;
    and Doc Mike goes out of his way to "get us in" when there
    is a real need to be quick...
    He's worked through lunch, stayed late, whatever it takes -
    If I'm worried - so is he!

Several times we've been the "fill-in patient" -
    on "stand-by" to dash over on a moment's notice
    when they get the last minute cancellation.

I called on a Monday morning - NOT a good day to "squeeze in" -
    for Boots. Was told to "bring him in NOW; we'll fit him in - somehow."
    Doc actually "worked" him in 3 times that day - a few minutes at a time
    between scheduled patients.

I'd suggest the Tubster be seen by his "Regular White Coat" -
    just because that Vet is familiar with his condition.

Call em up - and don't be afraid to lean on em!

/s/ Phred
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

Thanks Phred, but somehow I think my vet and Doc Mike went to to different schools. I told him he's a regular and he had just been in and all they said was "Well, we're usually understaffed on Saturdays and if he was just here then he's fine."
    'Course that was the receptionist and I was so irate I didn't bother talking to the vet himself - probably wouldn't have been able to talk to him personally anyway with her on the phone.

I did get him in at a cat only clinic. Don't know if that will make a difference but at least they didn't say "we're booked" like everyone else I called. I did have the regular vet fax a copy of his most recent blood test, which was Oct 30th, just 3 weeks ago, so we'll see what they say. Saturday 12:30 is the appointment.
    Tubby
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012

Debbie, I looked up symptoms for Renal Failure and they were a mile long and the same as every other disease out there! Please try not to worry ... not easy, I know! I am glad you made an appointment for tomorrow. Be sure to check in with us as soon as you get home!

Love and Hugs,
    Kim
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

I'm sorry that Tubby still isn't feeling well.
    I wish your vet's office would be more helpful.
    Can you even get one of the Dr's to talk to you on the phone and go over the symptoms Tubby is having and maybe reassure you that he is ok?
    I guess I am very lucky with my small town local vet.
    It's less than 5 minutes away and I have had both the vet and an assistant call me to follow up after Samantha has been in for a visit.
    I also have a good friend who has worked in their office for the past year so it doesn't hurt to have a connection on the inside.
    I really hope that Tubby feels better soon.
    Good luck with the vet appt. tomorrow.
    Hugs to you and Tubby from me and Samantha.
    RIP sweet Samantha
    6/26/88-8/28/08
    ----------------------------

Milly & Izzy

Debbie, our RB Ernie died of kidney failure. The "bad" phase lasted for about a month. During that time, he lost quite a bit of weight and gradually quit eating. He drank quite a bit though. In his last week, he would not eat at all. We tried to tempt him with everything we could think of. He continued to drink. He became very thin and his face looked sunken. For the last few days, all he really did was sleep and drink a bit of what we brought to him as his kidneys shut down. He chose a spot in the living room and no longer came to our bedroom.

However, for several years before this, he would have periods of time where he seemed to be declining, but would always rally again as and did not completely stop eating or drinking nor did he lose the weight like he did when he was dying. From the time we knew his kidneys were starting to fail - until the end - was about 3-4 years. He died just short of age 18, in March 2003.

Towards the end, there was no doubt in my mind that he was dying - I could see so many changes in him and the biggest was the drastic loss in weight as he became a bag of bones and very weak.

I think this is the sort of thing you are asking for Debbie. If Tubby is progressing like our Ernie - it sounds like he is rather early in his failure, but of course that is only a guess. What I saw was very dramatic. I also chose to have no medical intervention for him. (Sub-q fluids, labs, electrolytes, blood monitoring, etc) Having this may well have prolonged his life for a period of time - I have no idea about that either. The night he died, he got up and walked to my bedroom and woke me up. I was stunned to see him but of course got up and loved on him intil he walked back to his place in the living room. He was gone in the morning, peacefully laying exactly as he did when he slept. It was his time.

I hope that you have lots of time left with Tubby and can enjoy every single day. Just lavish him with love, take lots of pictures and enjoy him, knowing what a happy and wonderful life he still has with all of you. I know you and Terry pamper and comfort him all that you are able and this is exactly what he deserves

The night he died, he got up and walked to my bedroom and woke me up. I was stunned to see him but of course got up and loved on him until he walked back to his place in the living room. He was gone in the morning, peacefully laying exactly as he did when he slept. It was his time.

Oh my gosh, this just brings tears to my eyes. It's like he was saying one last good-bye.

Debbie, I'll be praying for Mr. Tubby all night long and will check in tomorrow for uppydates. I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed that he's got a couple more years left in him.

{{{HUGS}}}
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Thanks Debbie, that was exactly what I was looking for. The bad news is that Tubby is drinking, but eating very little to nothing, just like Ernie started to do. I tempted him tonight with some more wet food, and again he only licked up the gravy and didn't eat the chunks, but I guess the good news is that he looked really interested and seemed to "perk up" when I brought it to him. Another scary part is that he has staked out his place in the living room - just like Ernie.

I'm really starting to think it's more than just arthritis and that it is his kidneys. Maybe this is a self-defense technique - I guess to prepare myself that it just could be "his time." If you would have asked me last week if I thought I'd be saying this today, I would have said no way. Tubby just got a good report at the vet and he was active and normal and still pestering Peanut and licking on her head. But I'm slowly coming to accept that he may not make it to 19......

Thank you so much, Deb. I can't thank you enough for your story of Ernie. I know it can't be easy for you to remember those painful details, but it really helps me.

And thanks to everybody else for the time and effort you've put into this. Kim, I got the same type of results when I looked up renal failure online, and that's why I thought I'd ask here for any personal experiences.

{{{hugs}}} and thanks to you all. I'm sad....but at least I'm home now and can give him a smooch whenever I please. <weak smile>
    Tubby
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012

Oh Debbie, try not to jump to conclusions .... but I do know how you have the need to prepare yourself just in case!

(((HUGS)))
    Kim
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

I sent you a reply email and I await your call tomorrow. Prayers continuing throughout the night.

lov and hugs
    slick
    xoxo
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

????? Anything?????

Originally posted by Logan
    ????? Anything?????
    Debbie posted an update in Cat General -- good news for the Tubster and all who love him!
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/