View Poll Results: What's the best way to get Kelly out of the Couch?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Leave her, she'll come out one day.

11 84.62%
  • Stop free feeding and put out food only when we're in the room.

1 7.69%
  • Force contact in a smaller room.

1 7.69%
  • Your own suggestion.

0 0%

Thread: Advice Please.....:confused:

Advice Please.....:confused:

As some of you know, I had two additions to my house last week--Boo Boo and Kelly. Boo Boo had adjusted astonishingly well to his new home, he even gave my 4 year old sugars this morning. Kelly is another story--She's still hiding in (and I mean IN) the sleeper sofa. I've only seen her three times since last Friday and they've all been less than 15 seconds, and very stressful situations. The only reason I know she's still alive is that I hear the bell on her collar jingling up and down the hall at night (that's gotta end). At this point, I feel I have three options:

1. Leave her be and she'll come out when she's ready (but that's not really working.

2. Rather than free feeding (which is what we're doing now) only put food out while we are in the room. This would give her about an hour in the morning and six or seven hours at night. This would force her to at least come out of hiding and at least tolerate being in the same room (or even the adjoining room) with us. ...and hopefully come around.

3. Outright force contact. Get her into a smaller room with no couches, like the kitchen or bathroom where she will have to be in contact with us.

Keeping her crated is not an option, unless one of you wants to come over and get her in the crate (let me know and I'll give you the address). She was feral as a kitten, but has been in a loving home for several years, and in my couch for a week now.

Please give me any advice you have, (this is the part where I suck up) you all knowing angles of cat rescue. I'll put a poll at the top for these three options, but if you have another idea, please, please feel free to share.

THANKS,
    HEATHER

She has only been there a week, so I would still give her some more time. Can you tell if she is eating, drinking, and using the litter box?

I once had a foster cat that hid for almost 3 weeks before I actually saw him. But he eventually came out and turned into the biggest lapcap I have ever had. Once he was comfortable he would follow me around the apartment all the time.

Since BooBoo is there too, its hard to tell. The food and water disappear and the litterbox gets used but I guess it could all be Boo Boo, he's a fatty (note pic). She plays at night and I assume she does when we're at work, so I figure she's eating, etc.

My daughter Sirrahsim, (Missy) had a similar situation with her fraidy cat Boomer. She lives in Japan and it is midnight there right now, but she might have some suggestions because now, Boomer is a real cuddle bug - though still shy around strangers.

I would NOT try forcing Kelly out though - she must still feel the need to be safe and prtected and I would hate to scare her even more Sounds like she is going to take lots of patience but some cats just do ....she will come out on her own time. I clicked put out food only when you are around - but that was just what occurred to me - not sure if that is really good advice or not.

Mina didn't come out from under our bed for two weeks when we brought her home. Just give her some time. She'll come out and when she does just pet her and softly talk to her. Talk to her when she is under there. Let her get use to your voice.

A positive attitude may not solve allyour problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.-Herm Albright

I admit I do not have much experience with cats but maybe just once try opening a can of tuna when you get home at night - don't put much out that morning so she will be hungry and I wouldn't necessarialy put the whole can out (probably not good for them) but they can smell it a mile off. Put some on the food and keep the other cat away. Or just have the can out by you and see if she comes out to investigate... I think this is how some of the rescuers get their cats on this board. At least you might be able to see her and a little bit of tuna shouldn't hurt.. Debbie

Raven was from a feral litter and she hid between the TV and entertainment center for a looong time. We thought we'd never see her again. We just left her alone and kept her litter box clean and her food bowl full. She eventually started sleeping with us at night. When we'd wake up, she'd bolt back behind the TV. Slowly but surely she's warmed up to us.

Thank you Wolfie!

ISN'T IT FRUSTRATING?

I POSTED A THREAD ABOUT SHY CATS. I HAVE DAISY, ORIGINALLY TO FOSTER, SINCE JUNE. YOU NEVER KNEW SHE WAS HERE! SHE'D HIDE UNDER THE BED UNTIL SEPT, THEN IN MY CLOSET. YOU COULD LOOK BUT NOT TOUCH... I LEFT FOR VK OCT 27- NOV 3. NOW SHE'S ALL OVER ME
    EVERYONE TOLD ME WAIT HER OUT... I LAYED ON THE BEDROOM FLOOR & PUT TREATS UNDER THE BED IT TOOK 4 MONTHS...
    SHE WAS SEMI-FERAL & I FREE FEED
    KITTY FRIEND
    TAKE CARE, GOD BLESS
    MULTICATMOM

BoBo,for a week,hid in a small space,in the Bathroom vanity,under a drwawer,and I waited,until she ecided,that we were all right,and came out,and eventually Kelly,will do the same,although the Roast Chicken,helped a lot,in BoBos case.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

You've all made me feel so much better, maybe she just hasn't had enough time. As for the tuna and roast chicken, I think I'm out of luck. I don't think their previous mommy allowed them people food. I've tried to give BooBoo chicken, cat treats, even the tempting Fancy Feast, but fatty won't eat anything but his Iams Fat Cat Hairball Food....Go figure, I thought he would eat anything. I have tried treats with Kelly, but they are still collecting dust bunnies under the couch....I think my 4 year old may have eaten one.

I agree with time and patience .... I have two ferals turned big babies .... Boots and Bonnie! You can see them in my sig below! Hang in there, and stay around here so we can all support you!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!