Thread: Reposting here...no response in Dog Health

Reposting here...no response in Dog Health

Ok I am just about at my wit's end with Gracie...she is spoiled..my fault, I know..she will be 6 mos the 25th...she can sit, lay down and speak on command and will go get her toys to throw for her and bring them back..BUT she will not come and she will not stay. Any time I want to pick her up she runs all over the house...if she grabs something she isn't suppose to have, she runs..and she is FAST...every thing is a game..everything...and she is so stubborn.

She will never come when called....she comes close enough to almost pick her up then runs..barking the whole time like "catch me if you can" the ONLY way to get her to come if I want to really get her cuz I am in a hurry is say "lets go get a treat". I use that only as last resort..
    I am thinking obedience classes are in order, but do they work? Those who have been thru it, HOW do they do it? What do they teach?
    I am off all next week and want to really work on this but I dont have a clue how to start..I have a little demon on my hands all of a sudden..! She KNOWS what no means, up til about 2 weeks ago you could say no and she would stop what she was doing..not any more..she stops for a second and goes right back...

We are going to Arkansas for Thanksgiving and my family are meeting her for the first time..I don't want to go with a spoiled little brat!! I want my sweet Gracie back....is she in the terrible twos are what?? Is it a 6 month old stage or what?? HELP!

My dogs have never been to obedience classes, but I've heard from many people that have taken their dogs there and have been very successful. I think puppy classes for Gracie will help out a lot.

She is beginning to reach the puppy-teenager stage though... I think now would be a good time to get her into some classes because the longer you wait the harder it will be to train her, and 'come' and 'stay' are two of the most important commands a dog should learn!

I appreciate your response...I am almost in tears over this..may sound silly, but it is really a problem in the house...hubby isn't nearly as "in love" with her and so it is not exactly bonding the 2 of them...I am going to look into the classes..When I had mercedes for 16 years she was the most perfect dog, and I think Brad keeps comparing the two..well, mercedes was already 10 years old by the time he and I met and of course she was well established..he never knew her in the puppy years..and she was 10 mos when I got her so she was passed a lot of the puppiness...she never tore any thing up, always came when called...never bucked authority..but it was nothing I taught her, it was her personality. Gracie is super headstrong..she is going to take some time to teach her who is boss..right now, she is tho..and that has got to change quick fast and in a hurry!!

I just did a search online for any suggestions in puppy training, and I found some links for you:

http://www.dogdaysusa.com/puppy101.asp

http://www.netpets.org/dogs/referenc...g/pupobed.html

http://www.purina.co.uk/index.asp?fr...icle.asp&id=13

Teaching come:
    http://www.peteducation.com/article....&articleid=154

Teaching stay:
    http://www.doggiedoor.com/stay.shtml

I hope those are helpful!

As for obedience classes, you can search online for any in your area, or you can talk to your vet to see if your vet knows of any, or see if your local shelter/humane society/SPCA has any puppy training programs.

Good luck!

i would also recommen Obediance Class.We had the same problem with Kodie.We took him to Obediance class and i tell you it helps you out Alot!She's not to young to go into a regular beginners class,most dogs that are in beginners are puppies.

Thanks for the links..I have been looking thru them and looks like some good stuff here and I think I can get a lot from them! Sweet of you to take the time to find them...

puppy classes work really well... Not only do they teach obdience but they also get the alpha thing going it lets her know you are the boss and she needs to listen to you... I heard clicker training really works... Good luck!!

Me-24
    Hubby-25
    Daughter Zoey is 2 !!!!
    Jasmine 1 month