Thread: Just a thought...

Just a thought...

I was just thinking if I'm eating my dinner and I've finished and if theres still food on the plate I'll usually sit it on the table or set it down until I get up. Well I was just thinking whenever I do this Mercedes will sit in front of me and stare at me and every few moments she'll bark at me until I give her a piece of the food. Am I doing something wrong?? Will this affect us later? I just thought of it because I was sitting here reading I knew she was behind me and she barked 2x and I didn't know why until I realized there was a pizza crust on the desk so I just tossed it to her and she ate it then went to lay down on the couch.... Should I be doing this or does it matter? Its not an aggressive bark or anything just a short woof. She also does this if she has a chewy or bone if anyone goes near her she doesn't growl, but she runs over to us and barks excitedly when its in her mouth like as if shes just showing us her treat. We do take it away from her after 10 min and put it up for the next day and she lets us, but I'm curious as to why she barks... Any help would be great

Me-24
    Hubby-25
    Daughter Zoey is 2 !!!!
    Jasmine 1 month

When Echo barks to get something I don't give it to her unless I specifically told her to speak. I think all it does is teach the dog it can get anything it wants when it wants just by being cute.

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

You really shouldn't give her something when she barks or this will get worse. My Lacey will set and bark at my husband the whole time he eats until he gets done and gives her a piece. I am now trying to stop her from doing that because it drives me crazy! She doesn't do it to me because I wouldn't allow it, so now at four years old I'm trying to teach her not to bark at my hubby when he eats. My hubby~well I guess he's a dumb dumb for putting up with it!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

thankfully we never taught Kodie to beg for food.When were eating dinner he'll just sleep under the table.If we want to give him something,then we get up and put it in his bowl.He knows he's not supposed to beg and he never does it.
    She probably barks b/c she wants food.and i agree with chocolatepuppy,dont give it to her when she barks,it will get worse

Originally posted by sammy101
    thankfully we never taught Kodie to beg for food.
    we didn't teach ours either, most dogs just naturally want to. Although, Tango doesn't beg often unless it's an orange or some other citrus type fruit.

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

She doesn't beg until I've finished because that is not allowed. My grandmothers dogs do that and I hate it. She comes over once I'm finished if the plate has been sitting there. It's not really begging the reason I wanted to know was I was wondering if it is a dominance thing I'm not worried about her mooching for food cuz she doesn't so that she waits till were done and only does it if she really wants whats on the plate.

Me-24
    Hubby-25
    Daughter Zoey is 2 !!!!
    Jasmine 1 month

Originally posted by Orangutango
    I think all it does is teach the dog it can get anything it wants when it wants just by being cute.

That for sure works in our house hold! I have a horrible habbit of giving into my dogs as well. If I don't, i usually feel guilty or something. But were working on it.

Originally posted by Amber
    That for sure works in our house hold! I have a horrible habbit of giving into my dogs as well. If I don't, i usually feel guilty or something. But were working on it.
    Same here.

Cami will give us these eyes, that make you want to melt. I can't resist but to give her a litttlllee peice of food.

I don't like to though, because i know what feeding your dog food they aren't supposed to have can lead to.