Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheesy Vegetable Soup

Cheesy Vegetable Soup

At Thursday's last week everyone wanted my Cheesy Vegetable Soup recipe. So here's the actual recipe. However, I haven't looked at the recipe since I first got it, and it turns out I have veered far from the recipe. So first of all I'll give you the recipe, then I'll tell you how I actually make it and you can use either or, or combine like I did.

Cheesy Vegetable Soup

1 medium head cauliflower, broken into little pieces
    1 medium carrot, shredded
    ¼ cup chopped celery
    2 cups water
    2 tsp chicken bullion granules
    3 tbsp butter
    3 tbsp flour
    ¾ tsp salt
    1/8 tsp pepper
    2 cups milk
    4 ounces (1 cup) cheddar cheese

In large saucepan combine cauliflower, carrots celery, water and bullion. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until veggies are tender.

In another saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat continuously stirring for 2 minutes or until thick. Reduce heater. Stir in cheese until melted. Stir in cauliflower mixture.

Ok, what I do is I use a big can of low sodium chicken broth instead of water. I still add 1 or two bullion cubes to taste. I use frozen veggies. Put broth, veggies and bullion in a pot. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and let simmer until veggies are tender.

In the meantime I make a white sauce which you do by mixing equal parts of fat(butter) and flour. So if you use 1/2 cup butter, then you need 1/2 cup flour. I usually end up using an entire stick of butter and end up adding a bit more flour to make it a little thicker. Then I add the white sauce to the soup, stir it in, then add cheese. I usually use a whole bag of cheese because I'm a cheesehead at heart, but I leave a little bit left in the bag to sprinkle over the top when serving.

So, I hope you can decipher between the two of them because the end result is absolutely de-lish-us! And I'm starving right now and wish I had some of this at home to snarf down when I get there!
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Mmmmmmmmm that sounds really good.

Me-24
    Hubby-25
    Daughter Zoey is 2 !!!!
    Jasmine 1 month

OOOOOHHH that sounds so good!

Sigh, my house is so food deficient right now. Only one more day till payday (and I'll probibly focus more on feeding Remus and the Ratties than on feeding me lol)

That sounds SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good!!! I can't wait to try it!
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Uh OH....did someone say CHEESE!!! This sounds so yummy, I just may have to make it this week! Thanks for posting this! I just love the winter, because it's the "soup season" for me!

Of course, if there is cheese involved...it's gotta be good! Cheese always makes it taste better, so don't forget extra cheese!
    LOL LOL

I forgot to ask, for the frozen veggies, what do you use? Do you use 1 bag or 2?
    Thanks!
    **hugs**
    Karen

Oh that does sound so yummy, and I do love cheese!

Willie

Thank You, kittycats_delight for my new siggy!!!

Originally posted by wolflady
    I forgot to ask, for the frozen veggies, what do you use? Do you use 1 bag or 2?
    Thanks!
    **hugs**
    Karen
    I usually just use one bag of...I think they call it the California mix - broccoli, cauliflower and carrots. Sometimes I throw in another bag of the green beans, corn, carrots(?) mixture, but then you might need to increase the liquid, which means you need to increase the thick white sauce.

I love your little cheesy eater smilie - too funny.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

This sounds yummy I also love cheese and soups

Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
    I usually just use one bag of...I think they call it the California mix - broccoli, cauliflower and carrots. Sometimes I throw in another bag of the green beans, corn, carrots(?) mixture, but then you might need to increase the liquid, which means you need to increase the thick white sauce.

I love your little cheesy eater smilie - too funny.
    Cool, thanks! I think I actually have a bag or two of the california mix in my freezer, so I'm all set to go! I can't wait. It sounds like such a comfort food! I'll be making it this Saturday
    YUM!

mmmm this soup is DELECTABLE!!! Of course I had to make it with Chinese veggies from the local market ( lettuce, chinese greens, watercress, red onions, green peppers, tomato, carrot, garlic and ginger and substitute philly cream cheese for half the cheese It's hard to find cheddar in China!) but oh it was sooo good! Thanks for the recipe!
    Lilith Cherry
    "
    "Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Mahatma Gandhi

Yum, your version sounds terrific, too, Lilith!
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

I made the cream of cauliflower yesterday added a can og cheese soup Kids never knew they had the veggies. It was wonderful.
    I toasted some of the sourdough bread Richard sent and we dipped it in the soup . It was very good and filling.

I made this last night it was great! I made a few alterations, I doubled the recipe and instead of milk I used half buttermilk/half regular milk. I also added 4 diced potatoes. The kids loved it!

What are bullion granules? Are they the same as Bullion cubes??if so do you still add 2?

Me-24
    Hubby-25
    Daughter Zoey is 2 !!!!
    Jasmine 1 month