Thread: Question about Racing dogs...

Question about Racing dogs...

Is it true that when the dogs start loosing the races alot ,,the owner will shoot them?? i know lots of them get rescued but is that true???

I don't know about shooting them, but I know they often get put to sleep. Some are lucky enough to get rescued, but many greyhounds are put to sleep once they aren't able to win races anymore.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

I don't know anything about them shooting them but I saw a very sad documentary on them a few years back. There was a truckloads of dead dogs. How people can bet on horses, dogs, whatever, is beyond me. At least the horses don't get killed but I don't agree with any racing at all.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

Many dogs are put down after their racing careers. It's heartbreaking, such a dreadful waste.

Some organisations like this one have started adoption programs to re-home greyhounds. It's downright awful that volunteers have to come up with these schemes rather than the breeders and racers who cause the so-called problem. I'd love a house full of them as they're brilliant dogs.

http://www.gapnsw.org.au/
    Nicole, Mini, Jasmine, Pickles, Tabasco, Schnaggles and Buffy

Ya i couldnt beleive the shooting thing,but i knew that they got put down,but atleast horses dont get put down I could never bet on any animal,for races.

I am very interested in adopting a whole bunch of old racers,and ive heard that they need alot of TLC,b/c theyre not used to being around people,etc.

I've heard that is true. There's a regular Greyhound at our dogpark, Miracle. I can't believe that someone raced her or that anyone considered putting her down. She is such a wonderful dog. We all love watching her run at full speed. It is such a beautiful and graceful thing.

Haha, I have to share this....Miracle has a ritual that everyone is aware of. She comes, walks around, poops two times, and then she's ready to run. Everyone watches her in anticipation, waiting for the second poop so that they can watch her run.

Thank you Wolfie!

I've heard that they are sent to vet schools so that college students can disect them to learn about the insides of dogs(I think they do that with race horses and pounds animals as well)
    "To all the dogs I've loved before...Who traveled in & out my door...I'm glad you came along...I dedicate this song to all the dogs I've loved before"

Originally posted by sammy101
    but atleast horses dont get put down

No, but when most horse's career's end, they get sent to the slaughter House.

Either way, raceing results in a loose loose situations for the animals in the long run.

Ashley
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

Re: Question about Racing dogs...

Originally posted by sammy101
    Is it true that when the dogs start loosing the races alot ,,the owner will shoot them?? i know lots of them get rescued but is that true???
    Some greyhounds are euthanized after their racing careers are over. Most of them, approximately 95%, find their way either into adoption or back to the farm for breeding.

There is one infamous case where the dogs were killed just as you described. Perhaps this is where you heard about it. This situation horrified pro-racing and anti-racing people alike. Here is the most accurate news article I could find:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/...in509805.shtml

In addition to greyhounds a number of other breeds of dogs and other species of animals were found on his farm.

Rhodes was prosecuted with assistance from the National Greyhound Association. He never served time as he had terminal cancer and died shortly after he was convicted, justice I guess.

He was not, as some people alleged, a NGA member. Another Robert Rhodes, no relation, is a respected greyhound trainer in Tampa, Florida.

Approximately 26,000-27,000 greyhounds come off the track every year and 21,000 end up in adoption. Around 3,000 are retained for breeding each year. The numbers of dogs adopted has increased dramatically every year as more and more people learn about these magnificent dogs. There are 340 adoption groups nationwide who are getting very close to 100% adoption. My group, RaceForAdoption.com, has raised thousands of dollars to benefit and promote adoption.

http://www.raceforadoption.com/

We have plans to add a number of greyhounds to the RFA rolls and our ultimate goal is to raise $500,000 annually. Unlike some groups who take out money for salaries, 100% of the money we raise goes for adoption.

The bad stories in greyhound racing garner all the headlines, but the good stories go unnoticed because good news rarely sells. Greyhound racing is rapidly approaching 100% adoption which would be the envy of any breed of dog.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Previous posters are incorrect on some points.

Greyhounds do not require any more "TLC" than other dogs. They are acclimated to humans and attention at an early age and are trained by professionals. They are kennel trained and house-breaking is usually very simple once they realize their new home = their kennel. Greyhounds are remarkably intelligent and adaptable and IMHO make terrific pets. Most people who have had one say they'll never own another breed. Greyhounds are raised in a unique way---they stay with their dams far longer than most breeds. They are raised to three months and sometimes as long as 6 or 9 months by their mothers who pass on a tremendous amount of greyhound lore. They stay with their littermates to 12 months and often throughout their racing careers. One of my race dogs is 19 months old and just breaking in at Jacksonville. She has never slept farther than a few feet from her littermates. See the above website for more details about their raising and training.

Thoroughbreds are bred at a higher rate than greyhounds---there are many more horsetracks than dogtracks. They don't make cuddly or convenient pets like greyhounds after their careers are over so they are put down in greater numbers. Because horses do not produce litters like dogs do, many more mares are retained for breeding. In the TB world, the males bear the brunt of the

Horse meat is considered a delicacy in Europe and is sold to pet food companies here in the U.S. The great Ferdinand, winner of the 1986 Kentucky Derby, was put down recently as he was a failure at stud. He ended up as pet food in Japan.

Yep, the people in rescue have to "clean up" the mess created by the previous owners of the racers.

9/3/13
    I miss you

Join me on this flight.
    [/SIZE]

11/12/06

Originally posted by dukedogsmom
    Yep, the people in rescue have to "clean up" the mess created by the previous owners of the racers.
    And your previous experience in greyhound adoption is?

95%? there is no basis for that number. (please dont post that faulty paulLnumbers thing again) its estimated that its more like 10k that are still put down. now mroe and more are adopted every year, but many racing owners still do not take financial responsibility for this and adoption is largely run by volunteers who have to fundraise just to get by.

like i said, things are getting better, but there are still enough things happening that it breaks your heart.

now jcsperson might be quick to point out, as he often does, that there are many more labs and golden retreaivers and pits put down every year. this is true. but two wrongs dont make a right and it should never dimish the putting down of any breed of dogs. they are all beautiful and they all deserve to live.

Very well said, true.

9/3/13
    I miss you

Join me on this flight.
    [/SIZE]

11/12/06

Originally posted by true
    95%? there is no basis for that number. (please dont post that faulty paulLnumbers thing again) its estimated that its more like 10k that are still put down.
    I have a pretty good factual basis for my numbers which mesh with the figures presented over the years by different groups.

You have never posted anything, anywhere on how you arrived at your figure. Until you do your credibility is zero.