Thread: DESTRUCTION - elderly dog NEED HELP!

Unhappy DESTRUCTION - elderly dog NEED HELP!

I have a 13 1/2 yr old female Dalmatian. Up until 1 1/2 years ago she always either had a playmate or someone else in the house besides myself.

She's been through alot in the past 4 months - had an allergic reaction to her food and had a seizure. Now she is petrified to let me go anywhere. She used to be docile and secure and now she has eaten my bedroom doors, dresser, closets and is now working on the laundry room.

I have a kennel for her but it is just big enough for her to get in and turn around and lay down. Not very comfortable for a full day at work. I tried to get another friend for her - it just stresses her out even more. Too make matters worse - the military has changed their flight path so they go right over my house and fly so low that the windows shake - unnerving her completely.

I had her on valium, it didn't work - and was giving her liver problems. Through the vet I tried Belladonna - nothing. Rescue Remedy - nothing. St. John's wort - nothing.

I need help - I am at my wits end and am completely stressed out. I am afraid that if I lock her in her kennel she will end up hurting herself.

Please someone - I need answers - help me please.

Is there any human friends that could spend time with her while you are away? Perhaps a dog sitter, dog walker, doggie daycare? Having been there we were fortunate that the kids could come over before school, at lunch time and after school to help out (we share custody of the kids with their mom). Perhaps your vet might have some other ideas too? I'm so sorry that you and your doggie are not doing so well now. I will put you in my prayers and ask my Rainbow Bridge dog to help out!! Take care.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

I've looked into doggie daycare - there is none in my area that I can find. I was thinking about a dog sitter but they only come and leave. Do you think that might help anyway?

Welcome to PT!
    Sorry to hear about your troubles.
    This sure is a toughie.
    I imagine you have tried just about everything w/ your vet but maybe seek a second opinion?
    Have you consulted w/ a behavorist?

I personally don't think a dog sitter would work too awful much if they can just stay for a little while.
    BUT if you can set up a camera in your home & see if there is a certain time of day she usually starts to be destructive, or if she waits until a certain amount of time has passed after you left before she starts to be destructive, and see if she is destructive all day.

If she only acts up once in a while at certain times, you may have the dog sitter come at those times & that may help.

Also the nothing in life is free training method may help, that is where the dog has to obey a command before she gets ANYTHING, she has to sit before she gets fed, lay down before she gets petted, shake before you let her outside etc...

And make sure she gets plenty of exercise (a tired dog is a good dog)
    If you can have a play session (or walk or exercise etc..) at the same time every day it may help. Actually having her on a set schedule for everything may help some.

Good luck
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

I appreciate your reply. Actually she does get alot of exercise as we usually run 4 miles a day - 2 in the a.m. and 2 in the p.m. I play with her as much as possible but at her age she doesn't want to play much.

As far as routine - I try to keep to a strict routine. Just today I instead of sneaking out of the house decided that I would look her right in the eye and tell her that I am going to work.

I came home at lunch and she was in the closet staring at her crate and had gone to the bathroom all over downstairs.

rdlilone,

Just wondering how things were going with your senior
    Dalmation. From what you have said, I would think her problems
    could be both health & age related. Maybe several consults with
    a behaviorist would help you find a solution for you both. I wish
    you the very best of luck with this.

It's a shame her senior years have to be so stressful.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Dalmation issues...

Sounds like a tough situation... A few dog level tips: Dogs do NOT go to the bathroom where they sleep. They may until they figure out that is their sleeping area. That is why nothing around her crate.
    Have you tried Crate Training? Maybe check that out. It sounds like a good possibility. Local Pet stores should provide you with information.
    Have you tried Bitter Apple or Tobasco Sauce? Bitter Apple Spay is available at your pet store. You spray it on and the dogs hate the taste. Tobasco Sauce is good for Trash bags. It burns their nose safely.
    Have her confined to ONE room! Provide as much "Child-Proofing" as possible. Limit the chew toys to known dog toys. Try some raw hides. This is more comfortable than a small create. Take her out on a regular basis. Let her run around the house freely while your there. Make this assigned room her safety blanket room. Maybe a place for her to hide as well.
    I have an older Eskimo Spitz and 3 other younger dogs. The older dogs tend to stay away from the younger ones. May check into getting an older dog instead of an high energy pup.
    Dalmations are very active dogs and into everything. They are prone to deafness so keep an eye on this.
    I hope this helps. I've got a new Border Collie that is alot like your dog!!!
    Scooby, Shaggy the "Dogs", Ms. Thang the "Cat" and introducing Measley Weasle "The Ferret".