Thread: Dutch Shepherds

Dutch Shepherds

What information can anyone give me about Dutch Shepherds?

I've searched the web for some information and learned quite alot about the breed by by no means know it all.

Anyone out there have one?

I'd love to get one and work with some type of search/rescue. I know that they need a "job"

any information would be great

Just HOW DO YOU solve a problem like Maria?
    I met a couple of Dutch Shepherds this summer, both stunning looking dogs but they weren't the most trustworthy. For example Arson, the one that I spent the most time around had to have a ball or toy in her mouth at all times when she was out for a walk with other dogs just to ensure that her mouth was busy.

From what I understand from one of the owners who also does a fair bit of work with other dutch shepherds besides her own and from a friend of mine who has been in dogs for quite a while the Dutch Shepherds that have been breed in North America tend to be a bit more aggresive and not as "pleasent" to have around. My understanding from these people is that it's due to the fact that the Dutch Sheperds are mainly being breed to be police dogs and not peoples pets, so they focus more on the drive then they do on the temperment.

A friend of mine was just over in italy last month and said that she met the nicest Dutch Shepherd she's ever seen. One that had the drive and a wonderful temperment.

That's about all I know about the breed really, so it's mainly just a little bit of time spent with some and then second hand info.
    Goonies never say die!

Thanks Amy for the great sig!

My BIL has a retired k-9 belgian malinois...is that the breed you are talking about?? yeah, yeah DH has informed me that Netherlands and Belgium are, indeed, two different countries, but I know the malinois goes by several names depending on coat type.

Let a greyhound race into your heart. I did.....and then there were seven.

The dutch shepherd and Belgian Malinois are not the same breed at all.

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

Originally posted by Orangutango
    The dutch shepherd and Belgian Malinois are not the same breed at all.
    huh...learn somethin' new everyday! In that case, I have nothing to offer in this thread, but will wait patiently to see if I can learn more about the Dutch Shepherd

Let a greyhound race into your heart. I did.....and then there were seven.

Here is a link that has a picture of the three coat types of the Dutch Shepherd
    Dutch Shepherd

I'm not crazy of the looks of the wire haired, but love the long and normal coat lenghts.

Most of the information I have found has been in Dutch or another foreign language that I can't read

Was just wondering if anyone on this board had one. They really intrege me and I'm always a suck for information