Thread: Bladder Infection?

I don't even begin to know where I'm "from"

Bladder Infection?

This is Jason, Devon's Husband.

The last week or so, Muffin has been acting strangely. Heretofore she has always made a characteristic whining sound indicative of a desire to urinate at which point we open the sliding door and she proceeds to her business. However, of late, she has been making the sound and exhibiting other related anxious behaviours but will not even go outside when allowed. When we force her outside she has been urinating with less frequency and often immediately demands reentry.

My wife thinks that she may have a bladder infection or similar problem which makes urinating unpleasant. There is also the possibility that it is a behaviour issue, as she may associate going outside with being left alone when we go out. One thing to support the latter is that she still immeidately urinates when we take her out the front door for a walk.

Any ideas, suggestions, etc. ?
    Doing my part to save BBD's, one dog at a time!

Sorry Jason- no suggestiong- you know me- the cat person! I just had to say your post cracked me up- very Jason like it was!
    Chris

Well,, to rule the infection idea,, go and see oyur Vet,, if it is,, its nothing to fool around with,,,,, it can spread up into the kidneys and get VERY nasty!!!!!

If thats not it,,, perhaps going outside with her until she is calmer might help??

Possible infection

My Tawny had a bladder infection this past spring, very nasty, she wanted to go out all the time and try to pee, but it was painful for her. It took about 3 weeks to knock that out with anti biotics, get to the vet. I didn't wait but we had to increase her medication and they did check for stones because it was a tough one to clear up. When it gets bad they have blood in their pee. It really burns them. So I think you should have Muffin checked out. Heres hoping Muffin is ok.

Cincy just got over a bladder infection. She was drinkning more water, urinating more fequently, in smaller amounts, and the one accident she did have in the house, had a small amount of blood in it.

It took us two rounds of antibiotics and a diet change to get it cleared up, but she better now.

I would make an appointment with your vet and take a urine sample with you. Better safe then sorry.

Good luck!

Do you know with the bladder infection do they sometimes leak when they are relaxed like when sleeping? My friends dog also has crystals in her urine. She is on meds from her vet now, they are 90% sure this is a bladder infection she is on a special diet too from the vet, but no one mentioned the peeing when sleeping she did whine when I was with her just before she layed down on my lap and leaked pee. So is this something that happens with the bladder infection?
    Bassets Leave Pawprints on Your Heart

Sounds like some type of infection going on there. I would get a urine sample and bring to the vet to have it check out.

There are a couple of other things that can help with a blatter infection. Cranberry pills. Sold at Health food stores. Just like in people it helps flush the kidneys. But again check with the vet

As far as leakage one of my girls had a leakage problem. Wasn't drinking any more water, didn't pee more than normal.

What we found out is that she had spay incontinence. When she would sleep or relax, her muscles would also relax and she would leak out urine.

She was placed on a low dosage of PPL (Phenylpropanolamine) and after about two days of being on this we have had no more leakage problems. If she goes off the PPL in about 2 days were back to leakage.

just a little more infor

How's Muffin doing? I hope she's doing better now. Believe
    me, bladder infections can turn very nasty sometimes.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

They did have Roxie's urine tested so the vet knows it is a bladder infection and she is on meds for that. I know they were told that she leaks in her sleep that is why my friends got her free because the owner did not want to spend the money or time fixing the problem Luckily my friends are taking the time and money to make Roxie better. They have to take care of the infection first and then see if she still has the leakage and address that then The problem according to the previous owner started after she was spayed. But she is in good hands with her new owner. I was just wondering if there would be leakage with the bladder infection although the previous owners must not have checked with their vet maybe Roxie just hurt when she peed so she held it until she couldn't She is on medication so hopefully she will be better soon. Thanks for the information. This board is so great I should say the people on this board are so good about sharing information.
    Bassets Leave Pawprints on Your Heart

Any update on Muffin? Please check in when you can.
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*