Thread: Hermie

Hermie

One of my Hermie's died today... He was very slow yesterday and I thought he was just sleepy then today he was dead when I was cleaning out their water and food. I feel really bad as if I could have done something. The others look fine they are climbing and I gave them a bath and what not, but so did he. Am I doing something wrong???

I feed them everyday, water everyday. Bathe them once a week, and mist them about every third day after their bath not a lot just to moisten the tank. They are always climbing and playing. They often jump in the water dish and sit there (is that normal?)
    They eat veggies crushed up in a min chopper I bought for them. Am I missing something I should be doing??

R.I.P
    Lil guy

Me-24
    Hubby-25
    Daughter Zoey is 2 !!!!
    Jasmine 1 month

It sounds like they lead a very good hermie life. The thing with hermit crabs in captivity is...they're all wild-caught. Because of this it is impossible to tell if they are carrying inernal parasites or something else that could be harmful to them down the road. The captive lifespan of a hermit crab isusually between 4-8 years.....but in the wild they often live to 75 years or more, so there is something that we all are lacking about taking care of them in captivity.

The only suggestion I would make is to add a little bit of meat to their diet, in the form of canned dog/cat food.

I don't know that your setup looks like, but just in case....Make sure their sand is deep enough for them to burrow into.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your dear little hermie I sounds like you provide them with a most wonderful life and home setting. I live on the ocean, and only know the life of hermies in their natural habitat and don't know what they require in a home setting. I can't imagine there was anything you could have done differently. As has been said, life in captivity must add extra challenges. But no doubt, you provided a very caring and loving home to your hermie. Please don't blame yourself Rest in peace little one. You were very loved.

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Aw, so sorry to hear about Hermie Jodie!

-Amanda-
    Owned by...
    (Betta) Neptune
    (Bunny) Chester
    (Cats) Misty and Squeekers

*Pet Portraits*