Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has your computer addiction lead to Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?

Has your computer addiction lead to Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?

Mine has! I swear, it's always something! My hands and fingers tingle and go numb all the time ... now I have to wear these whenever I'm on my computer, and I have to SLEEP in them!

Does anyone know if this gets better, or will I have to always wear these things from now on?
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

You will have to wear them for a while, until the inflamation goes down. Then you should adjust things - desk or chair height, get a wrist rest, etc., to avoid reinjuring your wrists.

One of my old roommates had to wear wrist braces for a time, then he got to wear smaller ones (purple, even!).

Oh,
    I think that's what my friend had to use. She was getting terrible pains in her wrists. She doesn't use them all the time though, just when the pain comes back. You have to sleep in them???
    That doesn't sound like much fun. I'm not sure what to tell you. Have you had surgery on them? I heard it is very painful to have carpal tunnel!
    Tina

I'm surprised I haven't gotten it yet!! There have been days when I'm on the computer for literally over 12 hours straight!!! No carpal tunnel yet! Phew!!

I hope you feel better!! *hugs* I don't really know anything about it.. sorry I'm not much help..

Yep, it sure has. My chiropractor cracked my wrist for me and oh man did that feel great and helped relieve some of the pain.
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

Kim, get yourself a GOOD keyboard tray... one that articulates up and down and sits on a NEGATIVE TILT (where the keys slant gown towards the desk instead of towards you (I don't know who put those little feet on the bottom of a keyboard to tilt the keyboard up in the back and low in the front - that cause more pressure!)

Here's one I used to use in my office. They ain't cheap my dear but a whole lot cheaper than medical expenses. The site also has some good info on ergonomics.
    keyboard trays

I have had this for so long..... It use to be called a weak wrist... that is how long I have had it. The first time the doctor used the words "carpal tunnel syndrone" with me I told him he was crazy... I am a COOK, not a secretary!! (Didn't even have a computer then either!) Was that only about 10 years ago????? Anyhow, it flares up on me from time to time, usually when I am at work and have twisted a jar lid wrong or lifted to many cast iron skillets at one time... I wear my brace to bed for a few nights when it is acting up and it clears right up.....usually!!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Thanks for the info Karen, Kim and Laura ..... I will look into better keyboard trays, and I am happy to know I may just have flareups and not constant trouble!

Wow, that looks a bit uncomfortable. I don't have any experience with it except I had to take my Dad in for the surgery on both wrists about 6 years ago and by the time had finally agreed to have the surgery he had already lost about 75% of the muscle at the base of his thumb on one hand and at least 50% on the other. His CT came from years of being a TV and appliance repairman and working with screwdrivers and those types of tools for so long.

Good luck with it.

From Decker with Love

I haven't experienced any discomfort in my wrist. It's my neck that gives me problems. About every 1/2 hour I have to turn away from the com and exercise my neck for about 5 minutes and then I take about a 10 minute break.

Poor you. I guess it will take a little time to get use to sleeping with those on. I hope they work so that you won't have to have surgery done.

Please take care of yourself Kim.

Love ya.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

No, I haven't experienced it yet. That does look so uncomfortable!

I hope it gets better soon, Kim.

Willie

Thank You, kittycats_delight for my new siggy!!!

I have carpal tunnel in my right wrist and I hate it. I developed it while working for the vet.

It's feeling so much better now thanks to NUCCA chiropractic and Cold Laser Therapy!!!
    `````````````````````````
    I love my furkid Neko!

^TAMA^ 8/24/00 - 4/27/12 Thank you for being in my life I love you always and forever

Originally posted by rg_girlca
    I haven't experienced any discomfort in my wrist. It's my neck that gives me problems.
    This is my problem as well. I don't have any wrist problems thankfully and I work at medical transcription and spend a lot of time on a keyboard. My neck gives me problems even sleeping though so I can't blame it on the computer! LOL!

Kim, I hope you don't have to have surgery. I am told that the condition is often worse after the surgery. I hope you start to get some relief soon!

Well, after sleeping in my braces last night, I am pleased to report that for the first time in over a year, my hands were not asleep when my body woke up!!!

I know the carpal tunnel syndrome also from musicians and if the brecaes don't help it can be solved by surgery. It seems to be an easy one that works.