Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yeast Infections In Ears

Yeast Infections In Ears

Hi again

I was reading a post about chronic ear problems and wanted to share something I read on several sites. My female rotti came to us from rescue with ear problems and meds to treat it. Nothing has worked and she constantly shook her head. What I read was that it's likely due to diet. The commercial foods and food allergies to something in them are the main cause of this. I was forever cleaning her ear and putting the meds and powder in her ear. The smell was horrible too. I also give my dogs yogurt which they love but still she had the ear problems as did our Nikita that passed in January. Now since changing them to the B.A.R.F diet this problem has already eased up and should come to an end. I will keep you posted on the ear infections and new diet. I have to say though that each day I notice something that has changed for the good.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by RottiMommy49; 10-15-2004 at 02:47 PM.

Kiki is beautiful

My Jada also has bad ear infections--we were just at the vet last week, and I've been giving her a few different meds to treat her infections.

I wish I could feed raw, but I just think with 4 dogs in the house I may be asking for a fight.
    At this point my vet told me it may not even be food related, and not to get drastic about changing foods right now (I am anyway though).
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

I think my Mandy was born with an ear infection in her right ear! After the last one my vet told me to clean her ear with 1/2 white vinegar and 1/2 rubbing alcohol soaked and then squeezed out of a baby wipe. (she did say NOT to do this while an infection was present) Mandy has been doing well since I started doing that. She had bacterial infections. Lacey recently had a yeast inflammation in both of her ears. After we treated it I have been cleaning her ears with the same solution. So far so good. As far as food related my vet said no on both and Lacey never had the yeast problem until she was four and has been on the same food since she was a puppy.
    Good luck with your pup as ear infections can be terrible, I know!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Ear infections

are caused the vast majority of the time by the ear retaining environmental moisture favorable for bacterial and yeast growth. My prior Lab readily got swimmer's ear. My current two have experienced no such problems. All 3 have commonly been given 2 trips a week to the pond for swimming. All 3 have been fed Propet Performance dry dog food formula, and all 3 have never refused eating it under normal health conditions. Neither has it caused allergies, or other symptoms of poor health. In fact all 3 have thrived on it. Note I have no economic interests in Pet Carnation Inc who makes the food.

Except for extremely rare cases diet is not a cause for ear infections. Also once the ear has been infected severely, it will become so again. The 1:3 parts of white vinegar to distilled water or even alcohol seems to be a good preventative.

My Bailey has had ear yeast infections for 2 years I'd get medication and clean them and on on . In the last month for the first time she has no evidence of yeast no brownish stuff no bad smell and the only thing I am doing different is I changed her food to duck and potato and I give her a heaping serving spoon of plain nonfat yogurt. I will not let a day go by without giving Bailey and Baxter their yogurt. They think it is the biggest treat ever I buy it in the larger container for about $2. and it last the two of them a week. Pretty cheap preventative in my book not to mention it is good for the digestive system and to them it is like having ice cream.
    Bassets Leave Pawprints on Your Heart

I didn't mean to imply that all ear infections are caused by food. Our first experience with yeast infections in a dogs ears was with our first rotti..Nikita. She had them constantly no matter how clean I kept her ears. The vet said she had narrow ear canals and would likely have chronic infections. Kiki has it in her left ear only and that is the side that her head looks as though it was smashed in. Again all the cleaning and meds have not stopped this problem. i believe that the article i read on food allergies causing ear and other areas of yeast infection stated it was too much starch and sugars in the food that were the problem. This wasn't the main reason I took them off bagged food. We tried 3 different foods since the end of January and Monty would be sick to his stomach nearly everyday without fail. he has stopped vomiting since the raw diet thank God and both dogs seem much happier and more content. I don't know how long we will continue with this raw food diet but guess if they stay healthy and are happy we will keep them on it. It's a lot more work than I like at times and that's the downfall. I sure hope nobody was offended by my post. That wasn't my intention at all. I love it here and enjoy everything about the group.

Nikita Mommy & Daddy Miss You So Much.....Always Will....Look For Cappy Sweetie & Keep Each Other Company. Cappy You Stole So many hearts Sweet Boy. We All Love You & Miss You. Play Hard Sweet Babies.

I guess the good bacteria in the yogurt is supposed to kill the bad bacteria that causes the yeast infections, but all cases are different . A yeast infection is different from some other ear infections. I think we just need to find what works best for our fur babies. I just know that the yogurt is helping mine and they sure like it.

Yogurt

It's great to know that yogurt helps with yeast infections. Mine have only been on yogurt for 3 weeks. They love it too and think they would eat the whole container if they could. Just like candy to them I guess.

Take care
    Deb
    Nikita Mommy & Daddy Miss You So Much.....Always Will....Look For Cappy Sweetie & Keep Each Other Company. Cappy You Stole So many hearts Sweet Boy. We All Love You & Miss You. Play Hard Sweet Babies.

Well Bailey has the yeast infection in her ears again and she has had the yogurt for quite some time now so I quess that did not solve the problem. She is on ear drops now I ill try the water vinegar after it is better. That was 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water correct? Or is 1/2 vinegar 1/2 rubbing alcohol ?

Sorry to hear Bailey has an ear infection. It's so hard to get rid of it and it's awefull to watch them shaking their heads or scratching until they get raw. Kiki has pretty much stopped with the head shaking thank God. I'm going to clean her ears today and see how they look. It's just her left ear though that gets infected. Good luck and I hope Bailey feels better soon.

(((Hugs))) to Bailey and doggy kisses too

Deb
    Last edited by RottiMommy49; 12-04-2004 at 06:37 AM.

Another thing that can help with yeast infections weather that be in the ears or on the body is, are you ready for this?

Feminine duche (sp? once again )
    Pretty low cost, can be embarassing to buy large quantitys for a big dog.

We used this in dog grooming with the cockers and also had a westie that would get a duche rinse after the normal bath.

Originally posted by greysandmoregreys
    Another thing that can help with yeast infections weather that be in the ears or on the body is, are you ready for this?

Feminine duche (sp? once again )
    Pretty low cost, can be embarassing to buy large quantitys for a big dog.

We used this in dog grooming with the cockers and also had a westie that would get a duche rinse after the normal bath.
    Do you put it in the ear canal like a wash?

Heidi had an yeast infection once. Didn't smell that good! It cleared up though with the right medicine. It seems to happen in the dogs with floppy ears, like Heidsters. But I wouldn't trade her ears for any other type of ear! I love them!

Heidi

Heidi is just addorable and yes I know what you mean about the nice big soft floppy ears. I love Monty's ears just for that reason. Kiki has smallers ears and hates anyone touching them. I'm sure it's due to someone hurting her prior to us getting her.

I'm trying to figure out the douche thing too????
    Does it go in the ears?

Thanks.... Deb

We love you Nikita and miss you so very much!

Yup goes in there ear like an ear wash or an ear flush.

The rinse if for when a dog has a yeast infection on there body.

It's pretty gentle, wont sting, and helps flush and treat the ear.