Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unnecessary Vet Bills???

Unnecessary Vet Bills???

Does anyone know what are the "necessary" annual procedures that should be performed for a 4 year old lab?? The vet sent a reminder card for me to make an appt for annual shots, etc. The estimate for this is $150.00. Is there anything that I can eliminate or can anyone tell me what is really needed? I feel that vets are in business to make money so I want to know what I am looking at. Thanks for your replies.

Oh gee. Well, my first bit of advice would be to find a vet that you truly trust! Yes, they have to make a living too. But I know that a truly reuputable vet will only do that which is necessary and nowadays, there is much debate about which vaccinations are necessary, and how frequently the dog should be innoculated. A lot depends upon your home setting, how acitve your dog is (i.e. spends a lot of time outdoors) does he interact with other dogs, etc.)

As for the vaccinations themselves...Well, by law my area requires certification that the dog has been innoculated against rabies. There is a 3 yr. vaccination available; some states require yearly vaccination. My dogs are also vaccinated against distemper, cornovirus, adenovirus, parvo and leptospirosis (espescially important if your Lab swms a lots, walks the woods, drinks from stagnant water pools, etc.) and Lyme disease.
    Many of these can be given in combination, with one injection. If you plan on ever boarding your dog at a kennel, he'll need to be vaccinated against kennel cough, bordetella, at least 7-10 days prior to boarding, depending on the kennel.

The vaccine for Lyme disease is not 100% effective, but does provide additional protection. A blood test for Lyme is required before that vac. is given. My vet spoke with me at length about giving this one. If you treat your dog religiously for ticks and fleas with Frontline, it might not be necessary.

Of course Heartworm medication is ESSENTIAL. If you use the Interceptor formula (given once a month over a 6 month period) a yearly blood test for heartworm is necessary, but not if you give the Heartguard formula, given each month of the year. (That is if you know that you haven't missed any doses!)

Yearly exam/stool sample check

Talk with your vet about which vaccinations he/she plans on giving and why. The thinking on this is changing rapidly! Here's a link to a good article on the tyes of vaccinations and why they should, or perhaps should not, be given!

Vaccinations
    Last edited by tatsxxx11; 10-08-2004 at 04:00 PM.

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Vets and prices

tatsxxx11 has sumed up most of the vaccinations one should get. There are new theories on whether some of the traditional ones such as distemper should be given every year. My own opinion is that vaccines of that type where there is evidence of it lasting multiple years may be skipped when the dog is 2-6 years. After that an older dog should be given the vaccine due to the less effective immune system of a geriatric dog.

Actually the $150 isn't that unreasonable. A vaccine here and there along with the heartworm test and you can easily approach $100. Depending on the area of the country maybe another $50 added on. In general young dogs are low maintenance in cost, but when they do get sick a Vet will always get their money's worth.

The only place I really fault Vets is when they try to charge you 3X the price for the same drug you can buy over the counter. A good example would be acid blockers. Also they often over charge on antibiotics which have gone generic years ago on the open market.

That sounds reasonable to me...Gracie just finished her 4th set of puppy shots and some vets do 3 sets. I trust my vet, and I didn't have a problem with 4...including the rabies this last time.

Gracie also does the once a month heart guard and I sure wouldn't want to not do that...Gracie is 4 months old and I want her to have a full and happy life. My mercedes (schauzer) had to be put to sleep one year ago this month and we always did the once a month heart guard and kept her up to date on everything. The only thing I didn't do that the vet suggested was the teeth cleaning. (I probably should have) And I will do that with Gracie...and give her the dental bones as well to help keep the plaque and odor down.

Baxter just went to the vet for his check up and shots . The bill was $121.00 and I did not think that was out of line at all.
    It is a once a year thing and it is alot cheaper to maintain then to fix. I am constantly cleaning ears using the dry ear and giving treatments for allergy to my dogs. The allergy sponge bath is for allergic humans so the can be around my dogs. Taking to groomer for nail clips and or baths and to clean their anal gland. Add all that up and the yearly trip to the Vet doesn't seem so bad. But we all love our animals so we can grip but we will do anything for them.
    Bassets Leave Pawprints on Your Heart

I almost hate to suggest this but I do think that some of the pet stores (PetsMart) have clinics where you can get the vaccinations at a lower cost than you might pay at the veterinary hospital. The reason I don't do that is because my dogs are given a once over by the vet tech and veterinarian at the time they go in for their shots. I do make one consolation to economy by buying our heartworm medications through the Dr. Foster and Smith's catalog. Even with paying shipping and handling, it came out to be significantly less expensive.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

I have to tell you your Tucker and Hannah are beautiful. You must be very proud of them. They stole my heart.
    Bassets Leave Pawprints on Your Heart

it sounds high to me if ur talking about usa funds. I spent about 120.00 canadian for RB Max's annual shots, bloodwork & flea drops & herartworm shots. & every second year it was 150.00 canadian cause I did the deluxe bloodwork on him

local feed stores have rabies/distember shot clinics also...actually casey is going saturday, she was just seen in july for gunk in her eye I have constantly given her heartworm meds.

Logan just had her 3 year rabies shot, distemper shot, nails trimmed and I bought a 6month supply of Advantix and Interceptor and my bill was a little over $150 but I thought that was reasonable for time well spent (also a total physical exam). I have Vet. Pet Insurance and they pay a good portion of the bills, usually for blood work, shots, fecal and urine tests etc. Every little bit helps. I know it's hard when money is so tight these days, but I honestly take better care of Logan than myself. I cringe at my $150 bill but rarely at hers!

I've been Boooo'd!

I don't think $150 is out of line, but have you thought about a health plan for you pup. The vet should have info on that, it can cost $30 a month which seems high, but if something goes wrong it can be a savings. Tawny goes every year, she gets special tests now that she a senior. A wellness test and what they call tighters (spl) it checks to see how her immune system is and if ok she doesn't need everything. Rabies every two years( can go three but my vet says everyone seems to try and stretch that one out) after the first 2 intial vacs when she was a pup and Lepto every year( we like chasing squirrels and dirty water). Heart worm test every two years and pills for six months of the year. The country vets don't seem to charge as much as the big city ones can. Having one vet for you furbabies seem to be a good idea, they get to know the pet and the family. Ours is terrific and cares about my girl.

I think thats high

when we take our dogs (we have 4) when we take one to the vet for her yearly check-up and shot, trim nails and glands it's under a $100.... Check around at other vets that you can trust.. a long time ago we went to a vet..she charged so much !!! that we switched to a different one...and she is great..and it's like half of what we was paying...
    I wish I had a avatar picture of my dogs...I don't know how you do it **pout***

I can get both of my dogs checked, vaccinated and have their nails done for less than $150. In fact, they have to go on November 10th! But don't tell them.

that's cheap PJ.... I won't tell them their going to the vet...hahaha
    My female Airedale is going to the vet soon too.. she is going to have babies

Our local shelter has a low-cost vaccination day, or else I do go to PetCo (don't usually frequent them, but for this one thing) for my dog and cats. It's a ripoff at the vet.