Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: On-line dating? Yes? No?

On-line dating? Yes? No?

Why? I am going with "Yes".. but I would like to see YOUR opinions!

This is for my research paper that I'll be working on for the next couple of weeks! Thanks!!
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

Sure, why not?

As long as it's safe, as in you know whom you're talking to, then I see no problem with it.
    Last edited by Kfamr; 10-09-2004 at 12:49 AM.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

An absolute NO.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Nope. (No)
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

I agree with Slick, NO! You really can't be sure whom you are talking to on the other end. There are too many sexual predators on line to be safe!

It depends, but in most cases I'd say no. If I had to chose one then I'd say no though.

-thank you Poppy for the avatar.

R.I.P. Hanson. You will never be forgotten, and we await the day to see you once again. The imprint you left on my heart will never fade - your big beautiful brown eyes, your big soggy kisses...

Yes, if you're smart about it.

Edit:
    I have a friend who is a complete idiot at it. I've always doubted her "relationships" would work.

On the other hand, I've been talking to someone for over 2 years. An advantage to online dating is that you get to really know the person before meeting. Although.. we aren't "dating" exactly.. we've just been talking for a long time but neither of us have our lives on hold for the other person. I think we know each other far better than any of our RL friends. There are ways to prove that the person in the picture is really them (ie: webcam, pictures with specific poses or even a piece of paper with their name and email, etc). So my answer is yes, as long as you're smart about it and don't give out your address and such to any person who asks.
    Last edited by binka_nugget; 10-08-2004 at 09:57 AM.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

DEFINATELY!
    Thats how I met my husband. We talked for a month or so before we met in person, and were engaged 5 months later. Married 9 months after we met face to face.

That was 3 years ago and I can't imagine my life without him. If we had met on the street, I'd have never given him a second look. Because I got to know the man inside I gave him a different look than if I had relied on just the outer shell of the man.

I'm gonna go with No.

IMO, I don't see how online dating could work, whether you met the person on the internet, or know them IRL but just keep in touch online. For one thing, it would be far too easy for the person to lie to you, cheat on you, or completely disappear. Look at the amount of trolls we've had on here that have used pictures of other people's pets as their own, it would be far too easy to lie. Plus, it can be hard to convey emotions etc. over the 'net, I think it would be hard to have a serious relationship via a chat room or emails.

On the other hand, a lot of my friends in real life, I initially met over the 'net. I think you can meet a lot of cool, interesting peoiple online that you may not have met otherwise, and it gives you the chance to get to know them before you meet them. I've met people from the 'net before, and will continue to do so. So, I think internet friendships can work, but not dating.

JMHO
    Amy & the furkids

I met my current hubby online. Let's just say it's very hard to know what you're getting yourself into with an online relationship.

Yes, absolutely. I love getting to know a person's thoughts and mind before meeting them in person....if both people are honest it can work out wonderfully.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

No
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

I'm sure it could work, but I think about how much fun it is in the beginning of a relationship. Anticipating every date and all. I would never want to cyber date, I like the traditional way, holding hands, walking arm in arm, watching his face light up when you walk in a room, and watching his expressions when you talk. Much more fun!

It depends.

I'm going to say yes. But you just need to trust your gut. Some people I meet online I totally trust, but others seem a little fishy to me, so I try not to get too close to them.

Also, meeting people online - it can be like, your cousin (who you talk to online) introduces you to a friend of hers, that SHE knows in real life, but you've never met. So you start talking online, and then maybe eventually meet in RL.

Or, like a few people have mentioned - You start talking to the person, get to know them, their personality, their views and opinions, their likes/dislikes, etc. When you meet the person in RL, you don't end up immediately judging them because you know what a great person they are. (If they weren't a great person, I don't think you'd be meeting them in RL LOL)

But then there are those cases where stalker freaks are out to get little girls...

You just need to watch out and be smart. Maybe after talking online, you can talk on the phone, and see if they actually sound the age they say they are.

So my answer is yes - if you trust your gut and be smart about what you're doing.

I say yes.. I've met some of my best friends online, and tho I'm not dating any of them, I have dated people I met online and as long as you have a good head on your shoulders it's ok.

In regards to the whole you don't know who you're talking to online, you can be just as unsure of people in real life. There have been numerous people I've met in RL that turned out to be nothing like they seemed.

Times, they are a changin'! hehe Ya just gotta roll with it, I reckon.
    "He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
    -- Immanuel Kant