View Poll Results: Please read my delimma and vote!

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would find a nice kennel

13 34.21%
  • Have someone let them out a few times a day.

21 55.26%
  • Other... please post

4 10.53%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What would you do??

What would you do??

OMG, I am getting so worked up over this...

My hubby and I are going to be spending Thanksgiving with my sister in Missouri. This will be the first trip where we both are going, and have to put the dogs somewhere. AHHHHH!!
    I can't imagine not having them with me or at home!!

I have two options... I can start looking and checking out kennels... or have my father in law check in on them a few times a day.

The #1 thing I HAVE to find in a kennel is a place where they both can stay in the same kennel. There is NO way I would have them separated!! NO WAY!!
    They are the two biggest scardy cats.... they handle stress better together.
    I have to start calling around and stopping my places and check them out.
    Oh my poor babies.... that goodness it's only going to be from Wednesday till Sunday (or Monday depending on pick up times)

OR

My father in law offered to stop over a few times a day and let them out of their crates. He would spend an hour or so at the house eachtime he stopped. They only live 15 minuets away.... Oh I don't know what to do. I know it would be less stress on them if they stayed at home. But I can't imagine them having to sleep in crates at night!

What would you do?
    Pleeeease help me?

I don't have anyone that would be able to stay at the house (I wish I did!! That would be the BEST!!) My friends/family all have dogs of their own to look after or they have kids!!!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Re: What would you do??

I don't have anyone that would be able to stay at the house (I wish I did!! That would be the BEST!!) My friends/family all have dogs of their own to look after or they have kids!!!
    Does that mean that your dogs can not go and stay with your father in law?

Personally, i'd allow them to stay home and have someone check in on them.

They'll feel alot better at home, I think.

I too would prefer leaving the dogs at home and have someone come and let them out.
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

I think they'd prefer to be at home, BUT I don't think I'd like having them in their crates for most of the time. I know your FIL said he'd come let them out and stay for an hour and come over several times a day but that is still a LOT of time for a big dog to be cooped up.

There's no way you could take your pups to your sister's with you? Or your FIL couldn't take them home with him for a few days? Is there a professional dog/pet sitter in your area you could try out?

I think having your father in law come is the best alternative. I have certainly boarded Lilly and Honey in the past, when I didn't have a petsitter and the kennels were large enough for them to stay together in an indoor/outdoor run. But kennels, no matter how nice, are noisy and stressful, I think, especially when dogs are used to being confined. My girls always did fine, but were also always pooped when they came home.

The best of all worlds was when I found my petsitter through www.petsit.com and now no one ever has to leave anymore. They get to stay home and she comes two-three times/day and plays and loves on each of them (including the cats and birds). It is not cheap to have a petsitter, but I definitely recommend it over boarding, anytime. I should say that my dogs are not in crates, and Honey, Lilly and Zipper stay outside during the day when we are away. Murphy stays indoors. But if your father in law will come several times a day, for that long of a period, they should be fine!

Good luck, and try not to stress too much!

Re: Re: What would you do??

Originally posted by DoggiesAreTheBest
    Does that mean that your dogs can not go and stay with your father in law?
    Correct, they do not have a fenced in yard. The last time I let my hubby take Sierra there to play with their dog, they took off and were gone for almost two days.

So NOOOOOO way are they going there!
    Plus my mother in law is still a little uneasy around Buddy
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy

Id say let them out a few times a day and leave them at home. Pups tend to be a lot better in familiar turf, and Ive noticed you can avoid behavior problems too. My friend always put her dog up in a kenel every time she went out of town and her dog was always such a snot when she came back . I do really think they get mad at you and throw a tantrum lol!

I'd find a good kennel. I would think it would be just as stressful and scary for them if they were stuck in their crates at home and you were missing.

I kennel my dogs and they've grown to love it there. They get excited when we pull up. They always kennel Dusty and Roxy together for me. They prefer it that way too because then, they aren't taking up as many kennels yet they're making just as much money.

Thank you Wolfie!

Originally posted by Samantha Puppy
    There's no way you could take your pups to your sister's with you? Or your FIL couldn't take them home with him for a few days? Is there a professional dog/pet sitter in your area you could try out?
    No, I can't take them with me, my sister lives in Missouri and I live in Ohio, we are flying.

I could check out a pet sitting service, but then again... I guess my father in law would be my own personal pet sitting service!!

Besides... my hubby is not the most trusting fellow and would not like strangers in the house when no one is home.
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy

Originally posted by Tonya
    I'd find a good kennel. I would think it would be just as stressful and scary for them if they were stuck in their crates at home and you were missing.

I kennel my dogs and they've grown to love it there. They get excited when we pull up. They always kennel Dusty and Roxy together for me. They prefer it that way too because then, they aren't taking up as many kennels yet they're making just as much money.
    How were they the first time you sent them there?
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy

Originally posted by pitc9
    Besides... my hubby is not the most trusting fellow and would not like strangers in the house when no one is home.
    Mine is the exact same way. Frustrating, isn't it?

*sigh* Maybe you could pen them in a certain room so at least they wouldn't be in a crate for so much time? That's the main thing that I'd feel horrible over if I were in your situation.

I personally would NEVER kennel my dogs. I did it once years ago, and it won't happen again. Too many potential hazards ranging from them getting lose, getting sick, being abused and/or neglected, or being medicated by accident. No way will I ever subject my voiceless children to that.

Originally posted by pitc9
    How were they the first time you sent them there?
    They were excited. They always get excited with outings and new places. They were anxious to get back to the kennels to see the other dogs that they heard barking. They're happy to see me when I get back, but it doesn't seem like they missed me.

*Their reaction was the same as it is when we go to the dog park. They were so excited that they didn't even notice me leaving.

Thank you Wolfie!

Originally posted by micki76
    I personally would NEVER kennel my dogs. I did it once years ago, and it won't happen again. Too many potential hazards ranging from them getting lose, getting sick, being abused and/or neglected, or being medicated by accident. No way will I ever subject my voiceless children to that.
    I could imagine feeling that way. My highschool friend's mother owns the kennel I use. I have taken my dogs out there for training and stuff, so I feel more then comfortable. My grandmother, on the other hand, leaves her dog at the vet's kennels. I am always worried about her dog and trying to talk her into using my kennel. I especially dislike vet kennels because that's where sickness is. I don't see any reason to bring my dogs close to death and sickness unless it was necessary.

Thank you Wolfie!