Thread: St. Bernards

St. Bernards

The monks in the Alps have stopped breeding St. Bernards.

From ABC News, Furry Heroes

Paul

Aww,, thats too bad,,, a stupid thing like Money has to stop them from the good work they do.... I hope the St Bernard doesnt suffer as a whole because of it!!

A St. Bernard is a whole lot of pup to care for, makes sense that they would sell them if they were short on money. Sad though Hopefully the pups will all go to good homes

Originally posted by DJFyrewolf36
    A St. Bernard is a whole lot of pup to care for, makes sense that they would sell them if they were short on money. Sad though Hopefully the pups will all go to good homes
    The Saint Bernards my family has had were darned easy to raise - they just loooove people so much that being scolded was more punishment than if we actually scolded them. Sadly, I bet it is, as they said, that with only 4 monks left, it takes all their time and energy to keep the monastery open. Unless new recruits step up soon, the monastery will probably end up just another secular attraction within my lifetime.

The biggest expense in raising a Saint besides time is food, but that's only for the first year- to year-and-a-half of their lives, once they are full grown, their appetite is not much more than any other medium-large dog.

It is sad. But I know St. Bernards will still be raised around the world, and the legend of their alpine ancestors will live forever.

Since the 1600's...

400 Years!

Begs the question: "Why stop now?"

Would be nice if someone, or a group, stepped up
    to offer the Monks some well-deserved *help*.

/s/ Phred
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

That's just sad. I hope that all the pups have good homes and maybe the monks will reconsider- very unlikely but could happen. Poor St. Bernards! I really like that breed too, they look like big cuddly teddy bears.

~ Highschool rox ur socks!! Highschool is so amazing and I love it. Hi to everyone on Pet Talk, I know I have not been on for a while, I'm just busy. All of you here that I know rock! Keep up being friendly, posting on Pet Talk and havin fun. Buddy sends kisses. ~