Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Medical help for cat in Baltimore, MD

Sorry, I've missed the post where the fund's address was given. Would you mind reposting it? I'd like to support this, but need more info. (Sorry to be dense, but just plain missed it. ??)
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

Dear Xena and Toby,

What great news and yet I have to wonder about that tongue problem. Is the Vet going to biopsy the tongue first? That is what I would have him do. Let us all know the outcome of the tongue problem, please. I truly hope it was damaged from mistreatment and not due to a tumor. If the tongue problem is serious then I don't think the Vet will go forward with repairs to the teeth. What do you think?

I have misplaced the information for the payments to the Toby fund and if you would email me or post it here, I would appreciate it. It must have gotten mixed in with the Christmas rush.

Xena it is so nice of you to take this poor kitty in to your home and give it such TLC and if it turns out that the tongue cannot allow it to survive very much longer, then you will know that it had a wonderful time at your place and was given such great care! Again, I truly hope it is from a past trama.

Good luck Xena and don't forget to give that address out to us! Thank you!

SAS

I just reread your posting and noticed your comment about the biopsy etc.

I will say a prayer for Toby!

[ December 27, 2001: Message edited by: SasVermont ]

I'm so glad to hear that Toby is purring and gaining weight. Even though he's been through so much abuse and neglect, I'd like to believe that the tender care he is getting now will renew his little spirit.

Keep fighting for life and health, little Toby. Your friend Xena and all your PetTalk friends want you to feel love and hope for just as long as possible.
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Thanks for offering the donations we really appreciate it. From what I understand the vet is going to look at his tongue first while he is under anasthesia. By examining it he should be able to tell if he needs to do a biopsy or not. Hopefully he will find that it is only from a past trauma and will proceed with Toby's dental surgery. He did say that Toby's weight gain is great and that he feels confident that Toby will do well with the surgery. Maybe I am being optimistic but I don't believe that life can be so cruel to take away his future so soon. Toby has had to go through so much but has still managed to keep his loving and sweet nature and continues to thrive. I will keep praying to St. Francis to watch over him and protect him.
    Xena

[ December 28, 2001: Message edited by: Xena ]

Ok Everyone Great News I hope! I was finally able to get through to the Rescue Organization that I adopted my second kitten from. Thier Vet is going to look at Toby tonight. Over the phone I explained what needed to be done. They think the surgery and biopsy if needed can be done there for around $219.00. Don't worry about the donations I am sure I can retrieve them if we need to switch vets. Your prayers are helping and I know someone is listening from up above.
    Xena

Fantastic News Everyone! The rescue organization's vet examined Toby. He said that Toby does not have Neo Placia and that it is scar tissue that has built up on the end of his partial tongue. The vet said that just like any handicapped animal Toby has adjusted his eating etc. and that he does not see his tongue as a major problem. He is going to do the pre-blood work to make sure his kidneys and liver can take the anasthesia. Extract his K-9, clean his teeth, treat his absesses and put him on antibiotics. The vet said he should be able to do all of this for under $200. Thank God! Graciously he is giving us the Rescue Organization's discounts for the procedure. He listened to Toby's heart and lungs and said he looks and sounds very good and should be ready for the surgery. I will need to talk to Rachel as to how she wants to do this. The vet is about 20 min from me and about an hour from her. It will be done as an outpatient where Toby will be dropped off in the morning and picked up in the evening. I am just so happy to know that Toby will finally be able to get the dental work done and that his tongue is ok. Toby has this one final hurdle and will then begin his loving painfree future.
    Xena

[ December 28, 2001: Message edited by: Xena ]

An update on Pam. She called me yesterday Pam voluntarily went to the state hospital and they are reevaluating her medication and helping her. Now that she has taken this first step the network assistance worker said they are going to assign someone to help her when she gets out to find suitable housing and to watch over her. Basically this means a worker will go to her house daily to check on her, handle her finances and make sure she has food in the house. If they see a change where her medication needs to be adjusted or any problems they will be able to address it right away. So it looks like Pam is finally receiving the help she needs and hopefully will never be in such a bad situation again.
    Xena

What great news about Toby and good news that Pam will be looked after. I am so happy to hear that the tongue thing for Toby worked out just fine. I didn't want to mention it before, but I just (Feb. 2001) had to put a cat down because she had inoperable tongue cancer. So I was really scared when I heard about Toby. Glad bad starts can have a good finish these days.

Still let us know about the money angle of this situation. I know how expensive things can get eventually.

Thank you for your efforts in saving this poor kitty.

SAS

Xena,
    I am so relieved to hear about Toby and the fact that you have found a vet who will help out on this, much more inexpensively. I hope that the other vet, where we sent money to is going to work with you on transferring it to the new vet. I certainly hope so!!
    Kiss Toby for us, and tell him that is he loves Whiskas, I'll be glad to send it to him by the crateload!!!!
    Logan

Hi Everyone!
    Sorry I have been without a computer for a couple days. Toby is scheduled to have the dental surgery done next Thursday, Jan 10. Thanks for all your help and support through this it has been greatly appreciated.
    Xena

Xena, I never know where to respond to you, since I follow Toby's story at Siamese Cats and here. Please know that I am excited that he will have his surgery soon, and hopefully feel much better when it is done.

I know you haven't discussed his behavior issues much over here, but maybe you could when you have time. You might get some good suggestions from these folks too.

I am so disappointed that the "forever" home doesn't seem to have worked out. I do hope you will at least hear from her. I wish I were closer and didn't have two of my own, because he sounds like a love, and I would take him in a minute. Mimi would never allow it....she still flattens her ears and hisses everytime Butter comes near. And he is so mean...he might intimidate the heck out of Toby.

In the end, whatever happens, I'm sure Toby will be fine. You'll make sure of it!! You are very dear to me, because I know you are a compassionate, loving individual. I read it in each and every post. Thanks for all you do.

Here is an updated post from Xena - she left it over at Siamese Cats this morning:

Hi Everyone!
    If you could just say a small prayer I would be most grateful. Toby goes in today for the dental surgery to have his teeth worked on and one or more extracted. I will be dropping him off early this morning and picking him up this evening. I know I am a worrywart but that is what I do best. lol
    Thanks for all the support in helping Toby.
    Xena

I knew you would want to keep Toby in your hearts and prayers today.

[ January 10, 2002: Message edited by: Logan ]

Hi Logan! Hi Everyone!
    I am sorry for taking so long getting back here. Toby had his dental surgery yesterday and did great! The vet said his one K-9 was infected all the way through and was very hard to extract. He said poor Toby had to have been in alot of pain from it. The vet in addition to doing the dental surgery also gave him all of his vaccinations and rabies shot. He is also on antibiotics for dental infections and abcesses. He took the antibiotics like a trooper this morning. So now Toby should be done with vets for a long time. Poor little guy didn't sleep too much last night and his eyes are all puffy this morning. When I was leaving for work he finally looked relaxed and was sleeping peacefully. Thanks to everyone for the prayers and support. Toby should now be in A1 shape and painfree from here on out.
    Xena

As far as the aggression towards the kittens I am going to see how Toby does with them after his mouth heals. I am thinking with a major toothache like he had to have had could have made him easily aggitated. So keeping my fingers crossed that maybe he will tolerate them a little more now.

[ January 11, 2002: Message edited by: Xena ]

14. Xena-

I am so glad to hear Toby is doing well.

Were you able to use the contributions sent to the Vet Clinic for Toby?

I just finished reading all this on Toby - missed this all the way around due to the holidays and all. I'm so uplifted to know that there are so many wonderful, wonderful people out there since lately I've run into such mean ones. God Bless everyone for their efforts on helping this wonderful kitty, my heart is so full it brings me to tears!!!!
    Xena - it appears you're going to keep little Toby, he should never return to Pam since I guess it was her that inflicted the abuse on the poor thing right???

[ January 11, 2002: Message edited by: purrley ]