Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sake question...

Sake question...

We've got a few good bottles of sake from Japan. (Sounds like an oxymoron to me.) I think Sake is disgusting, but there must be a reason why it is popular. My husband says the Japanese generally drink it straight and warm but foreigners mix it on ice with water or tea.

I'm going to serve it at my Halloween party and I don't have much room for taste testing since I am pregnant. How all can Sake be served and what taste the best?

Thank you Wolfie!

Hey I don't know the answer to your question, but I live in Japan so I will ask around and find out what the general opinion is
    Visit my website to learn about fabulous kitchen gadgets and cookware! www.pamperedchef.biz/melissawendl

What is Sake?

a Japanese liquor
    Visit my website to learn about fabulous kitchen gadgets and cookware! www.pamperedchef.biz/melissawendl

I prefer it warmed however I don't like by itself. I only drink it when I'm having sushi. There is something about the combination of warm Sake, wasabi, pickled ginger and a sashimi that make me feel good all over.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

I'm dating an asian guy (philippino) and he loves it. I'll have to ask him how he prefers it and if he knows of a couple of ways to serve it.

Thanks, Dogz!

"...when does sometimes turn into all the time...." Joe Pisapia

"We all start off as strangers, it's where we end up that counts." Jennifer Beals, Four Rooms

"And I find it kind of funny...I find it kind of sad...The dreams in which I’m dying Are the best I’ve ever had" Tears for Fears, Mad World

"The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that's wrong with the world" Dr Paul Farmer

Originally posted by Pitties are my life
    What is Sake?
    It is a rice wine, but it is high in alcohol content.

Thank you Wolfie!

Originally posted by Sirrahsim
    Hey I don't know the answer to your question, but I live in Japan so I will ask around and find out what the general opinion is
    Thank you! My husband wasn't much of a drinker when he was in Japan, so I don't want to take his word for it. There might be better options!

Thank you Wolfie!

Originally posted by slick
    I prefer it warmed however I don't like by itself. I only drink it when I'm having sushi. There is something about the combination of warm Sake, wasabi, pickled ginger and a sashimi that make me feel good all over.
    I couldn't even imagine it warmed, it tastes so gross as it is!

Thank you Wolfie!

Originally posted by guster girl
    I'm dating an asian guy (philippino) and he loves it. I'll have to ask him how he prefers it and if he knows of a couple of ways to serve it.
    Cool, thanks! My stepmom is filipino-chamoro, that's a good family to marry into! They're so family oriented. They'll always be there for you when you need them.

Thank you Wolfie!

I has sake,one time,and it isquite good,a Rice Beer,I beleive! I think,that is is lower in sugar,than the Canadian Beers,and might be good,for me!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I don't love it but if I am going to drink it, I prefer it warmed.

It is like drinking warm kerosene, but with Japanese food, I love it (heated). It's great when you have the upper respiratory stuff too!!!

My friend suggested that if it's an expensive sake, it should be served cold, but, it's either way, really. Whatever is your preference.

Thanks, Dogz!

"...when does sometimes turn into all the time...." Joe Pisapia

"We all start off as strangers, it's where we end up that counts." Jennifer Beals, Four Rooms

"And I find it kind of funny...I find it kind of sad...The dreams in which I’m dying Are the best I’ve ever had" Tears for Fears, Mad World

"The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that's wrong with the world" Dr Paul Farmer

My husband's Japanese so I've been indulging for quite some time now Sake is considered a wine; a rice wine. There are countless grades and methods of distillation. Some are meant to be served as aperitiffs, some to be served with food, some as an after dinner drink and others meant for simply sipping. Depending on the type, it may be more or less suitable to be served cold or warmed and some are good served both ways. I recently tried one called "Pearl" which is milky white and very sweet and tasted much like coconut!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~