Thread: Are they putting me at risk?

Are they putting me at risk?

I know that I may be over reacting, but this really bothers me. By now everyone probably knows that I am pregnant I am 7 weeks pregnant today which means that I have just started my 8th week... Anyway, I got my referral to OB/GYN and went in to fill out a bunch of paperwork. It took about 45 minutes to fill everything out and afterwards I was expecting to be seen by at least a nurse. Nothing. They told me that they won't actually look at me until I am 12 weeks along.... So they didn't take a baseline blood pressure, they didn't take a baseline weight, I didn't even get past the receptionist. Does that sound right??? I spoke to another woman over here who is pregnant and she said that they told her the same thing. Why are they delaying care? I asked why in the world they waited to see me until the end of my first trimester and the (rather rude) lady told me that they can't even hear the baby's heartbeat until then, so why bother.
    *cough, sputter, choke* Yes, I am having a baby and the baby's health is the most important thing- but shouldn't they worry about *my* health a little bit? Everywhere I have read says that 6 weeks should be my first appointment... That appt is necessary to check my weight, blood pressure, general health, etc... I'm so annoyed right now..

So, to anyone who is, was, or knows someone who is pregnant, does this sound right to you? If I could I would go to another clinic, but living over here that is not an option.
    There is a clinic a few cities away that I can go to to get an ultrasound whenever I want for approximately $35, but that's still not being seen by a doctor.
    Sorry this is so long. My hormones are all screwy, so this is REALLY bugging me.
    Visit my website to learn about fabulous kitchen gadgets and cookware! www.pamperedchef.biz/melissawendl

I forgot to mention the main reason why this bothers me so much.. I found out that I was pregnant while I was in the states. I went to the local military hospital to get checked out and they told me that when I got back to my home base, I could be followed very closely by a perinatalogist (a doctor specializing in high risk pregnancies). I am hypothyroid and that can put a huge strain on my body and on the developing baby. Now that I'm here they're barely giving me the time of day... I'm told that the doctors are much more polite and caring than the receptionists.... I certainly hope that is true.

I guess I just need to vent or smething. If you got this far, thanks for reading
    Visit my website to learn about fabulous kitchen gadgets and cookware! www.pamperedchef.biz/melissawendl

I was surprised when my sister-in-law found out she was pregnant and then said, yup, the doc won't want to see me for a couple more months. Guess that's normal.

Did you explain to them you're a "high-risk" pregnancy? I'm not at all familiar with hypothyroid condition. Any chance for a different doctor's office?

If you're "high risk", you need to press the issue. Otherwise, it is not abnormal to wait for several months to see the patient for the first time.

It isn't right, but that is how it is. I've been pregnant 5 times, with 5 different doctors and 3 different insurances. It was that way everytime except the 5th time. This time around, I threw a fit. I told them that I've had multiple miscarriages and I wasn't leaving until they saw me.

Thank you Wolfie!