Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yogurt

Yogurt

I have Bassets and they are prone to ear yeast infections as are labs and a heaping dollop of plain nonfat yogurt a day will keep those smelly yeast ears away and it is good for their digestive system also. I told that to a friend who owns a blood hound and she said if she puts yogurt in the dogs ear she would be afraid that he will chew his ear off. NO do not put it in their ear feed it to them they love it. It's like a special treat and it is so good for them.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bassets Leave Pawprints on Your Heart

Thanks for the advice!!!
    LOL about your friend wanting to put the yogurt in their ears!!!

My rottie, Jada, has been having so many problems with her ears lately--we're seeing the vet on Monday, but if that's what it is, I will start giving her yougurt--ANYTHING to not see her whining and pawing at her ears all day, when they've been cleaned and cleaned

Your bassets are adorable!!!
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

My vet told me to mix 1/2 white vinegar and 1/2 rubbing alcohol and soak a baby wipe in it, then wring out to clean my dogs ears. Lacey had a yeast inflammation in her ears and Mandy was 'born with' bacterial ear infections. So far so good! I've never tried the yougart!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

I give the dogs a little bit of Plain cultured yogart in
    their food too. Great for their digestive system and
    other stuff.

----<---<--<{(@

Mine love plain yogurt mixed into their food too. I couldn't hurt, for sure!!!

LOL about your friend!!

I will have to tell my mother in law about the yogurt. Their Sharpei mix has infections all the time, and my MIL is not very good about keeping her ears clean so I do it when ever I am over there. But I'll tell her about yogurt and I HOPE she listens to me and does it! I'll tell her that feeding Racquel yogurt everyday would be easier than trying to clean her ears all the time!!

Lets hope it works!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

You still need to clean their ears regularly to prevent infections the yogurt is mainly to keep yeast infections away.

I clean her ears everytime I go over to visit.
    My MIL doesn't do it because she says it's messy and smells bad.
    DUH!!!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Jada's ears get cleaned everyday, sometimes twice a day, and they still bother her
    After I see what the vet says when she looks in there, I'll probably try the yogurt.
    I've also heard that it can help gassy dogs

My 4 get a dollop of plain, fat free yogurt every night mixed in their food. No tummy troubles or body odors for a couple of years. I don't know if it's the yogurt or the Nutro, but I won't quit either to find out!

Mary

So the yogurt helps not only ear yeast infections but also flatulence??!!!

My cockers have the 'cocker ears' - they get cleaned every other day - but are still proned to have infections.....the droopy ear dogs all do, but the one is also just full of gas

I tell my boyfriend it is all his fault - the dog takes after him!

I will try the yogurt - I love plain yogurt also - so we will all get a dab a night!

Thanks for the advice!

I use to feed my dogs nutro before I realized Bailey was allergic to something in it I think it was glutten well any how I feed them natural balance duck and potato now and give them the yogurt everyday. I also make them dehydrated chicken for treats because glutten is in any kind of flour or rice so I do not know what else to give them for treats I tried dehydrated bananas apples and sweet potatoes, but they did not like them, they do like the dehydrated chicken though,
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Basset Mom; 10-01-2004 at 10:50 PM.

Originally posted by lovemyshiba
    Well then I should try it with Jasper!

RIP Jasper. I can't believe you're gone.
    RIP Tigger...I miss you every single day.
    Piddle Jasper Wiggles Emma Tucker Almond Pecan
    RB Furbabies:
    Tigger Ace

RIP Angus, I miss you!

Originally posted by lovemyshiba
    Jada's ears get cleaned everyday, sometimes twice a day, and they still bother her
    After I see what the vet says when she looks in there, I'll probably try the yogurt.
    Emily, the vet gave us some stuff for Angus's ears. It's called Vet Solutions: Swimmer's Ear Astringent for dogs and Cats.
    It's an antiseptic Drying Gel and Deodorant.
    In the beginning we used it twice a day, then only once or twice a week. It seemed to keep his ears from getting that nasty brown stuff it them.
    If you want I could send it to you since we don't need it any
    more

And yes, believe me that yogurt does work well for gassy dogs. Angus could stink you out of the house sometimes when I'd forget to give it to him

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Originally posted by anna_66
    Emily, the vet gave us some stuff for Angus's ears. It's called Vet Solutions: Swimmer's Ear Astringent for dogs and Cats.
    It's an antiseptic Drying Gel and Deodorant.
    In the beginning we used it twice a day, then only once or twice a week. It seemed to keep his ears from getting that nasty brown stuff it them.
    If you want I could send it to you since we don't need it any
    more

And yes, believe me that yogurt does work well for gassy dogs. Angus could stink you out of the house sometimes when I'd forget to give it to him
    Well, first off
    But, maybe I would like to try it. I have tried everything I can get my hands on around here (non-prescription), and even some drops from the vet and nothing seems to help. We are seeing the vet on Monday for a regular checkup. I can't wait to see what she says when she looks in those ears--hopefully it's easily treatable.
    It does sound promising in that you said you used it frequently in the begining, and were able to cut it down--I can't go anywhere near her ears, she flips out, but thankfully my husband can.
    I incorrectly assumed that only the dogs with longer ears get bad ear infections--not true here!!!!
    Thanks for the offer, I'll let you know after our vet visit.

And keeping with the topic, I bought some yogurt today and "tested" it out on the dogs--they loved it, and are all laying here beside me waiting for more