We have finally put our trap to successful use! And possibly one of my low cost spay/neuter certificates which will expire come January . . . when I ordered them I had no idea there would be an expiration date!

There has been a black and white cat every once in a while in the back of our property. The sight of us would send the cat running. Not a Tux but patterned just like a cow! On Sunday I noticed it desperately picking at bare chicken bones (we feed the Turkey Vultures) so we decided to set the trap, with a can of cat food as bait. In an hour or so, there she was . . . skinny and crying, trapped with the can . . . completely empty. Since I have had no experience with ferals, and a rabies alert in the area, I was not about to try and handle her. I dropped some dry food from between the cage wires down into the can and put her in the barn for the night with reassuring words.

The next morning I concluded that she wasn't all that wild since there was no hissing or flat ears, so I put my finger slowly between the cage wires and she rubbed her head and began purring! Just to be on the safe side, I transferred her to my kitty carrier by opening both the trap door and the carrier door and putting them together . . . she readily went into the carrier because she had soiled the trap overnight, poor girl. She is still currently at the vet (they could not check her out yesterday but offered to hold her there) awaiting possible spaying if need be, and all vaccinations. Thanks to the vet tech I now am certain that she is a she, and is FeLV and FIV negative. The vet tech had no problem taking her out of my carrier and putting her into their cage; in fact, she seems used to people and being handled, so I was jumping to conclusions assuming her to be feral. Uh-oh . . . this means I may have another kitty to love . . . I hope Lily will tolerate this young cow marked girl! I've already been thinking of names . . . Hope to hear more from the vet clinic tomorrow.