I've been on the link to Alley Cat, reading and sending them an e-mail. Thanks Spencer. Seems you've always got a link to what's going on.

About the quarantine situation in Hawaii, there is a 30 day and a 120 day quarantine. If you know ahead of time, you can go through their long list of requirements to prepare your animals, get tests at required times, and assemble your papers. Then you're allowed, upon arrival, and after checking all your papers, and retesting your animal, to have your animal under the 30 day quarantine. Since most military do not have such an extended notice, they usually can't qualify.

With the high number of military wanting to bring their pets when on rotation here, they've tried to legislate a deduction but it was vetoed by Governor Cayetano. The State run quarantine station is to be self supporting, so even though he cited discrimination as the reason, you know it's the dollars.

There are special circumstances for Guide and Service dogs, eliminating the quarantine as long as they go through a stringent list of requirements.

Other dogs and cats aren't so lucky. Last year they increased the quarantine fees. For 30 day it used to be for each cat, $275 and each dog, $290. Now it's $655 for each animal. Ouch!

For the 120 day quarantine it used to be, each cat $815, each dog $875, but is now for each animal, $1080. Double Ouch!

Truly, as Catwoman said, "scares pet owners off". And yes, there are loads of feral cats here, but many feral groups and hundreds of kind people work to help them with TNR. For a while it was illegal to feed them in Hawaii, but with recent legislation feral cats can be freely fed again. There is a public meeting Sep 8th for anyone interested in feral cats, and the number of people wanting to help is increasing. And I'll be there.

Logan: Thanks for the nice compliment, but I assure you, I'm no "resident feral cat expert", just a beginner, and I always rely on the comments of the real experts, 4 feline house and Spencer. Their quidance has been invaluable. Plus all the great information and stories from everyone else too. It takes everyone to help these little ones.

Except for cat people on Pearl Harbor, there is no one else outside my kids, that care to hear about my dogs, cats or the feral kittens I try to help. Thanks for being so kind and not rolling your eyes while telling me to shut up. You show how you understand and really care. Thank you for caring and being there