Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jasper's Big Escape!!

I've been on the link to Alley Cat, reading and sending them an e-mail. Thanks Spencer. Seems you've always got a link to what's going on.

About the quarantine situation in Hawaii, there is a 30 day and a 120 day quarantine. If you know ahead of time, you can go through their long list of requirements to prepare your animals, get tests at required times, and assemble your papers. Then you're allowed, upon arrival, and after checking all your papers, and retesting your animal, to have your animal under the 30 day quarantine. Since most military do not have such an extended notice, they usually can't qualify.

With the high number of military wanting to bring their pets when on rotation here, they've tried to legislate a deduction but it was vetoed by Governor Cayetano. The State run quarantine station is to be self supporting, so even though he cited discrimination as the reason, you know it's the dollars.

There are special circumstances for Guide and Service dogs, eliminating the quarantine as long as they go through a stringent list of requirements.

Other dogs and cats aren't so lucky. Last year they increased the quarantine fees. For 30 day it used to be for each cat, $275 and each dog, $290. Now it's $655 for each animal. Ouch!

For the 120 day quarantine it used to be, each cat $815, each dog $875, but is now for each animal, $1080. Double Ouch!

Truly, as Catwoman said, "scares pet owners off". And yes, there are loads of feral cats here, but many feral groups and hundreds of kind people work to help them with TNR. For a while it was illegal to feed them in Hawaii, but with recent legislation feral cats can be freely fed again. There is a public meeting Sep 8th for anyone interested in feral cats, and the number of people wanting to help is increasing. And I'll be there.

Logan: Thanks for the nice compliment, but I assure you, I'm no "resident feral cat expert", just a beginner, and I always rely on the comments of the real experts, 4 feline house and Spencer. Their quidance has been invaluable. Plus all the great information and stories from everyone else too. It takes everyone to help these little ones.

Except for cat people on Pearl Harbor, there is no one else outside my kids, that care to hear about my dogs, cats or the feral kittens I try to help. Thanks for being so kind and not rolling your eyes while telling me to shut up. You show how you understand and really care. Thank you for caring and being there

WHAT A NIGHT!!

For the third time in 16 years, my ex popped up in my life. Coming to Hawaii for something else, he wanted to see my boys. That's fine, but I did not want to see him. After feeding all my furbabies and tucking them in for the night, I was loading my dishwasher when the doorbell rang....

In came my grown sons, bringing their father with them. No notice, just came in my door. My son said he had insisted. Oh, nice surprise. He's the one who used to throw my cats out the back door into the yard. AND HOLDING THE DOOR OPEN, HE LET JASPER OUT!!!!!!!!!

I was so upset but tried to hold it in for the boys sake. One son went out to get him, hearing his bell but not finding him. I went out several times, sitting on the porch, making noise with canned food, calling his name. Not a sound.

Had to look for pictures to give their dad, and try to smile and not yell at him, for after all these years, LETTING MY CAT OUT!!!!

After almost an hour and no Jasper, we started to hear his bell even inside. Soon we spotted him trotting down the outside stairs leading to a deck, and he ran onto the porch but did not want to come in. I went outside with him, as he wandering around our yard, rubbing on bushes, saying hello to his favorite spots.

Finally, at the edge of the neighbor's yard I was able to pick him up. Everytime that man enters my life, disaster strikes. He's gone now, Jasper is safe inside with me, and hopefully "the visitor" won't be back soon.

Not a nice surprise, rude to let Jasper out, didn't apologize for it, and he wanted to look eye to eye and chat (after all these years and a bad history??). He's a lot older than me, so maybe he's lost his marbles. WHAT A NIGHT!!! I'm so thankful Jasper is safe once more.

Yuck, Jasper's Mom! I know your boys thought they were doing an ok thing...and it sounds like you held yourself together very well. But my goodness! After all this time...guess you got the good reminder of why you don't want to be with him all over again! My dad always tell me that when my daughter's dad misbehaves..upsets me (acts like himself) that it is a good thing...so I don't let down my guard!! LOL!! Dads are so wise, aren't they?

Glad Jasper is back inside, safe and sound where he belongs.

Logan

Jasper's Mom, your message on Aug. 24th was so positive and the only question on my mind then was, was Jasper still trying to get out? Well, you answered that, but at least he was staying close. And he's back inside where it's safe.

Jasper's Mom,
    Hi..Just wanted to say that I've been missing
    your posts about Jasper,Eli and the Gang.
    Hope everything is going well at your house.
    Are you still rescueing ferals? Well,check in
    whenever you have time!!
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt