Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Humane Society

Humane Society

Hi,
    Did you rescue your cat? I did. We rescued Boogie, my cat from the Humane Society when he was a tiny kitten. He was the one crying the most there. He had parasites, and almost didn't escape the jaws of death, but luckily, he is fine now. Did you rescue your cat? If you are thinking of getting a cat, I reccomend rescuing one from your local animal shelter (Humane Society, etc.) instead of buying one.
    Thank you,
    *Smare*

i would never buy one from a pet store. you did a good thing rescuing that cat. I got mine from a friend though.

I bought a box turtle a few months ago from a pet store. SHe's great but I wish i had the money and space to buy all of her friends that were left behind. They looked miserable in there. crowded, dirty water, no rocks to climb on or anything. not to mention its the worst time of year to sell a turtle up here in new england. they're all hibernating or supposed to be hibernating. My new turtle has done the same. I can't wait until spring so she becomes more active.

sorry to change the subject.

Rescues are definitely the best! Although I didn't rescue Marius from a humane society, I did rescue him off the street as a stray. Poor guy! He was in such bad condition when I got him. He was all skin and bone. You could see his spinal backbone he was so thin...it felt like a string of pearls down his back when you pet him. He had a severe case of ear mites and ticks, and he was unneutered. I don't know where he came from or what irresponsible person dumped him, but he's my sweet heart!!! I've always wanted a lap cat, and that's my boy!! He's an indoor only cat, but he doesn't seem to mind. In fact, he seems afraid of the outdoors. Maybe he associates it with his previous life as an outdoor stray. White cats are also more prone to skin disease if they are exposed to a lot of sun, so in any case...he's a very happy, healthy, and content house cat!
    Cats like him are why I've gotten involved in rescue at a local no-kill cat rescue shelter here in CA. I like to think that we've given each cat we rescue a second chance at life

Hi,
    Yes, I think everyone would agree that rescued pets are best. I'm not trying to brag, but I'm proud that I saved such a sweet kitty, like Boogie. I'm sure you are proud of saving your cats too. Cats are great pets to me, although I do like dogs, I have a personality like a cat, so I get along with cats better. Thanks for all the advice.

--------------------------------------------
    In a cats eye, they are the one that rules
    -Anonymous
    --------------------------------------------

SpencerTheLion,
    I agree with you too. It is 100% better to rescue kittys, and other pets. (BTW-another one of my usernames is Smare)
    -Meow101

All my cats (except from one that was given to me) have been rescues of some sort. I found my male cat Gigio starving in a middle of the street 18 years ago, also my female Maya was found, she was the only surviving kitten from that litter, all the others were killed by a dog. Prema was rescued from the local animal rescue shelter. She was run over when she was only 30 days old and due to the accident she lost the best part of her right front leg and her right is also crooked.

Sometimes looking at some breeds I think that I would really like one of those but then I think of all those having to live their life in a tiny cage at the shelter and I know that in the end I will always get them from the shelter, and more than likely they will be one-legged, one-eyed basically those who are difficult to place.

As Smare said I would also recommend to get them from the shelter and I would also say that pets with disabilities can also be an immense joy.

My story is similar to wolflady's. I found Shiloh in a parking lot under a truck in bad condition. We got her all healthy though and it didn't take too long for her to become a spoiled princess. This also got me started working with rescue groups and volunteering many hours at the Humane Society. I was putting in more hours than staff, and they hired me

Isn't it such a great feeling to know that you saved one of god's creatures? All of our animals we have ever owned were rescued in one fashion or another
    Aly, that's great that the humane society ended up hiring you! What is it like working in a humane society? I'm sure the no-kill cat rescue I do volunteer work for is quite different. There's also a animal shelter really close to home, and I thought about going there to see about volunteer activities, but I was afraid that if I started working there that I would be traumatized if I had to deal with people euthanizing an animal. Plus, much to my husband's dismay, I'd want to bring all the doggies and kitties home with me It's a weakness...
    Lots of hugs and kisses to everybody's rescued loved ones

Hi,
    Charlie didn't come from a shelter or the street. He came from a friend of a friend who already had cats and could not keep Charlie. I was talking about visiting a shelter to adopt a kitty when I was told about Charlie. The girl who gave me Charlie loved him and took very good care of him (she e-mails periodically to ask how he's doing), but she was going to have to give him away anyway, so I took him. This way I could be sure that this kitty would have a good home with lots of love!

Hi everyone!
    I'm glad most of you rescued your cats, I think it is much better to rescue cats in need, than get a perfectly healthy cat (although I don't have anything against bought cats) It is just more helpful to rescue them. Aly, I would love working at a no-kill Humane Society, but unfortunetly, I'm not quite old enough! (9) Wolflady, how did you order Softpaws?
    Thanks,
    -Meow101

I have an 8 year old orange tabby named Trevor. He was bought at a pet shop by my son's friend as a replacement kitty for his grandmother's cat who just died. Fortunately for me, she didn't want another cat so my son smuggled him into my house one night. He's been here ever since and I love him to pieces! I think he was about $10 but my son's friend worked at the pet shop so he was free.

My other cat, Andy, a snowy white cat, will be 5 years old on 4/4. His owner was carrying him and his brother in her arms while visiting a yard sale. Again, fortunately for me my mom happened to be at that yard sale and asked her to hold him for me. She knew I would love him and I did and still do!!!! Price for Andy - $0.

meow101, the first time I ordered softpaws was through a Dr. Foster & Smith catalog, but when I found them on the internet, I just placed my order there and it works great (and saved a couple of bucks too! )

More hugs for everyone's kitties!!

Hi Wolflady,
    I have gotten Dr. Foster & Smith catalogs too, and have seen them in there. (Or at least I saw some blue nail covers on a cat!)
    -Meow101

Aly,
    Boogie is also spoiled! He is a spoiled prince! Boogie was in really really bad conditon, but is fine now. (Except for being chased by the dog, pestered by me , and all the other bad things that cats have to go through ) He is really an outside cat, but I can't stand having him outside all the time. I'm so glad I rescued him! He is really sweet.
    -Meow101

wolflady: Its really fun working there and I've learned a lot. I really wish I had the stomach do be a vet but I tend to get light headed at the sight of blood. I do see some sad stories at the shelter but the good really outweighs the bad. Its a great feeling to see a dog or cat you've been training/socializing/taking care of walk out the door with its new mommy or daddy. I always get so happy when someone gets adopted. We end up having to euthanize about 10-15 animals a year though (mainly due to health problems but a couple extremely bad temperment cases that cannot be corrected). Those are low numbers but each time it happens, it devastates me. The way I get over it, is I pick out a dog or cat and hold them and realize that there are a lot of animals who are going to good homes and who I need to help feel more comfortable in the shelter environment. The first time one of the dogs at the shelter died (parvo), I never wanted to go back. But I realized there were so many others that needed my help and I had to be strong. I could never work at a shelter that euthanized on a regular basis though. That would rip me apart emotionally and I'd been sent to the mental hospital.

Meow101: Yay. I'm glad Boogie has a good home and a caring mommy. His story sounds like Shiloh's. Give him a kiss from Shiloh (she doesnt like cats actually so she'd probably smack him, but we don't have to tell him that )