Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microchipping

Microchipping

Has anybody Microchipped their dog? I am doing a walk for the SPCA this Sunday & they have microchipping for $15. What exactly happens when you microchip your dog? Don't I have to register with some national company? Does it cost money to register? I've heard that some dog pounds have different types of microchip reading machines. These machines may not be able to "read" a certain type of microchip. Is that true? Also, has anybody ever lost their dog, later to be returned because of the microchip? Can you feel the microchip in your dog? Does it bother them? Any answers would help. Thank you!

15 bucks is a bargain. It wasn't much for the lifetime registreation can't remember exactly but probably between 10 and 15.

I have both of mine chipped.

It was $15 for the chip and to register was I think $18, but for two or more it was $30. My vet told me that any pound/shelter, etc that has a scanner will be able to read the chip.
    I can not feel the chip in either dog, they have never been bother by it at all.
    The thing they use to put it in their skin looks scary... but it's over in a second. Neither of mine even flinched!!

What they put in is a rice size microchip with a number on it. When someone finds a dog and it's scanned, it decodes the number, then they call into the company with the number and the company give the owners info. You have to give an emergency contact number (incase your pet is found and they can't reach you) And if you ever have to change your info, ie... if you move, or change your phone number. They charge a fee for any changes I think it was $8. I know the company mine are chipped with is called AVID.
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

I just got my cat Sophie microchipped. It was a small fee at the vets, and like a $10 fee to the microchipping company (Home Again). It's so small, I can't even figure out/feel where they put it!

I think there are different types of readers, but I think the companies generally loan the scanners to the shelters for free, isn't that right? I figured I might as well go ahead and do it anyway, it can't hurt, right?

Both of my dogs are microchipped and$15 is a real good price.

There are two types of microchips that run off different frequencies. Most shelters and vets in the United States have the Avid or Home Again microchip scanners that run off the same frequency. The Banfield microchips run off a different scanner and are not as widely distributed in the United States, although they are more widely used in Europe. As long as they are using the Avid or Home Again - you are pretty covered in the United States.

As far as registering - the price of the chip puts your dog in a national database. You can also purchase additional coverage for about $15 per animal (for the life of the animal) that will give you even more protection by including more of your personal information in case of emergencies. I purchased the additional protection and gave my sister and vet as secondary contacts to make sure that if I was unreachable for any reason, there would be someone to authorize emergency vet care. With additional coverage, your chances of being contacted quickly improves.

On most dogs and cats you can't feel the microchip, although on some of the leaner breeds (e.g. greyhounds, whippets, etc) - you might be able to feel it. I have a friend that has an Italian Greyhound and you can feel the chip between its shoulder blades.

Hope this helps

Clara

Gonzo was also registered with AVID, alltogether it cost about $30 for the microchipping and everything. very, very worth it. you don't have to freak out (as much) about keeping tags on your dog at all times. a few years a go, a girl I know had a GSD who got out and got hit by a car, and smashed his femur bone. When animal control found him (without tags), they wanted to put him down right there, but they scanned him and saw who owned him. they contacted the family and he got rushed into surgery and is now 100% healthy and happy (Gonzo and Hugo were actually just running around the park together yesterday)... that story definately convinced me to get my boy chipped xp

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

Thank you all for the information! I will definetly get Fenway microchipped this weekend! I wonder how the chip stays in the body and doesn't come out "the other side". I'll just ask on Sunday when I get him chipped. I just wanted others opinions on the matter. Thanks again!

Rocky was chipped by his breeder.
    She used Avid.
    A few years ago I asked my vet to scan Rocky.
    His scanner could not read the avid chip.
    (just was able to read "avid"
    Maybe he has a different scanner now that
    is universal.
    I think their is a chip called Home Again,
    that seems to be a popular chip around here. and
    I heard it doesn't move.
    I would check with the shelters to see which chips their
    scanner reads before deciding on a manufacturer.

----<---<--<{(@

microchipping

About seven years ago we had our husky puppy microchipped, over the objections of our vet, who didn't think it would work. But a few months later, she slipped out and was returned with minutes because she was picked up and scanned - what a relief! We thought we might never see her again! (Even our vet was impressed.) Prices vary, but both Avid and Home Again are reliable services.

I think something is better than nothing.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

posted by Kfamr:I think something is better than nothing. >>>>

I agree!
    As long as the shelters continue to have a universal scanner,
    I will either chip my dogs or tatoo, and also use
    tags.

----<---<--<{(@

Originally posted by kingrattus
    Sure its great the shelters scan the dogs, but what about the vets??
    My dogs are microchipped, they have never run away before though but my vet put's the chip in and he also said that most vet offices have a scanner at the office so if someone brings a dog in and claims it to be theirs they can check, I guess it just depends on where you live. My dogs are also tattooed and liscensed.

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

Jess, are your harsh feelings about chips related to the whole Max situation? I, for one, feel that taking every precaution is the best method. As I mentioned in the other microchipping thread, all 3 of mine are chipped, and they also wear collars with their id attached as well. Thank goodness, we haven't ever needed it, but I would rather they have that extra protection just in case.

Logan

I still think a microchip is better than no microchip. Any little thing that could possibly assure that your pet is safely returned to you is better than nothing at all.

-rx bandits

Finished with what?
    I'm not saying you're wrong or anyone's wrong.
    I've just stated my opinion like everyone else.
    I understand your disliking for microchips but I still think something is better than nothing at all.

*Edit* Nevermind then?
    Last edited by Kfamr; 09-23-2004 at 11:57 PM.

-rx bandits