Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help me with this rescue cat

Logan, please accept my condolences on the loss of your freind and neighbor, Frank. I will have you and Helen in my prayers, along with Frank's family.

Back to lighter subject matter-

Needless to say, your vet will easily be able to tell if Butter is neutered - unlike girl pets it's real obvious since everything is external in boys - if he has not been neutered his um, "jewels" will be just under his poo-poo and about the size of two large marbles. If he has been neutered, it will appear that he has nothing under his tail, or at best two small folds of skin between his wee-wee and his poo-poo. Did I say that delicately enough? I'm glad Mimi is starting to revert to her old self - I was hoping she wouldn't run that beautiful boy off.

Well, the verdict is that Butter is all intact!!! Not for long. We'll arrange for that on Monday when he visits the vet. I have not had a male cat since I was a little girl (he lived 18 years, but came to us when I was seven). Anyway, a cat loving lady was visiting with the wife of the man who died and she confirmed that he is still "all man". Poor Butter....he doesn't know what's getting ready to happen to him. He and Mimi have had a pretty good day today. Only fought each other once. For six pounds, she's pretty good at holding her own. Both of them got pretty new collars today (with bells) and they look so handsome! Too bad they don't like each other enough for me to get them together for a picture. Maybe one day!

Well, if Butter is still "all man" that means his past owners clearly did not have his, or society's, best interests at heart, which means they did not deserve that beautiful boy. It's clearly fate that he appeared at your house, where he would be responsibly cared for and loved properly. Where he deserves to be!

Here's a scary thought, Logan. There may be "little Butters" running around then just waiting for you to find them and become part of your ever growing family!!

OH PAM!!! I will have nightmares tonight about all those baby Butters (sounds better if you say Butter babies)running around!!!! He has stayed in the house all day today, but he is "catting" around now as is Mimi! I feel they are much safer outside at night, if they insist. Hopefully they'll come in shortly, before he has time to get in any trouble that way. It will end tomorrow!!!! I need them to spread the word that no more need to come here. I won't be able to afford them!!!

[This message has been edited by lhg0962 (edited January 07, 2001).]

Butter is spending the day with Dr. Robinson. He will be a "changed" man when he comes home tonight. Poor Butter! I tried to explain it to him...for him to live with me, this has to happen. They will wait and draw the blood to test for feline leukemia when he is asleep. He was actually very well behaved. Dr. R just started shaking his head when he realized I had another stray! He believes that Butter is anywhere from 2-4 years old. He weighed in at 10 pounds, a nice size.
    He will be pampered when he comes home, which of course means everyone else will be too so they won't get jealous!!

[This message has been edited by lhg0962 (edited January 08, 2001).]

Spencer,
    I actually live in a quiet, downtown neighborhood. Butter is only my third stray (2 cats, 1 dog), but all within the last 4 months or so. Thomas, the other cat, obviously had a home. He just came to eat, but hasn't been around in over a month. He was very healthy and I never had him here long enough to even take him to the vet. He would literally show up twice a day. It's just the joke of the neighborhood that if there is a hungry animal, they're going to come here. Of course we've had the rats, possums, turtles and other creatures that Honey has cornered in the backyard, but I only saved the possum and turtle by getting them out of the fenced yard.
    I definitely have reached my limitations and if more come, we will have to find homes for them. Butter is the only keeper. Dexter, the puppy, was going to be far too large (80-100 pounts) to try and keep with the two large dogs I already had. He's so happy with his owner that I know I did the right thing by him.
    I'm glad for all of the info everyone has shared about finding homes and in fact, did some investigation with the Humane Society over the weekend and learned more about their policies. Unfortunately, like everywhere, they are overcrowded and have a difficult time financially. We are going to try to help out as volunteers and provide donations of food, newspapers, etc. They do not have a formal fostering program. Maybe we can help in that regard (at least helping to get one set up). I'll keep you posted on that as time goes by.
    Logan

Logan how is Butter doing tonight?

Butter's home! He is quite pitiful, but ok. Checked out fine on all of his bloodwork and he can no longer contribute to the overly populated cat world. He is comfortably sleeping in my office, under the desk, door is closed, and no one is going to bother him.
    Thanks for all the advice guys, and by the way I want to tell you how special my veterinarian is. He only charged me for the vaccinations, no charge for the surgery or anesthesia. His contribution to the welfare of Butter! He also handed me a full bottle of that medication Lilly takes for her hips and said we would just call ourselves even. That medication costs $3/day and he gave me a huge bottle. He knows I'll always come there and he takes good care of my children. He knows I'm a softie for these babies when they are sick or needy. But, I swear I'm finished!!!!!!

Butter may be sorry he picked your house when he becomes more alert and realizes what is missing!!! Your vet sounds like a prince!! What a super nice thing to do. Tell Butter we all wish him a speedy recovery.

What a wonderful vet! Years ago, when I had my first apartment, I found a beautiful grey female cat. She used to hang out in the parking lot of my building. I asked my landlord if I could keep her and she said yes, with the promise that I would have her spayed. She recommended a vet. When I took the cat (I named her Suzy) to the vet I found out she was pregnant. I kept her of course. She gave birth to four kittens. Friends took two kittens, my sister-in-law took one (she named him Mop because of his wild hair) and I kept the runt and named him Tigger because of his stripes. He was so small and it didn't take long for me to figure out something was wrong. I took him to the vet and after an exam the vet found out he had an enlarged heart. He told me the chances for his survival were slim, but I wanted to try anyway. We tried so hard. I had to give him medication every three hours. When I had to work I had friends who would stay with him to ensure he would get his medication and the proper care. Little Tigger didn't make it. The vet told me that because we tried when most people would have given up, all of his care was free. This was a man who truly cared about animals. Isn't it wonderful when you meet someone like that? Suzy has passed on but I will always remember that wonderful man and my friends who tried so hard to save Tigger.

[This message has been edited by Genia (edited January 09, 2001).]

Genia,
    What special people you and your vet are for doing everything possible to save Tigger. At least he felt all the love you could give him. I had a Tigger for 18 years growing up. He was a holy terror for the first few years of his life, but a very special cat.

On the subject of Butter...his hair will grow back, right??? I feel so sorry for him, but he is feeling much better today!!

Logan....Glad to hear Butter is doing better. Tell him not to worry, when my two little guys got neutered their meows didn't go up an octave!

hey Spencer and Pam. Thanks for the reassurance. I guess they just cut the hair in the back and he looks all "exposed". But he's ok and VERY loving, which surprises me a little. All the girls have been very curious about him, but have used good manners all day and left him alone for the most part. He's eating well and walking around the house, using the litter box, even Mimi's , and she didn't fuss.

Originally posted by lhg0962:
    Here are Helen's webcam pictures of Butter so you can see what he looks like. Thanks again, Paul. I think he's our cat now. Hopefully Mimi can stand him. Maybe her old age has mellowed her out a little....we'll see about that. Didn't get that lovely striped tail, but you'll get the picture(s) anyway.

[This message has been edited by lhg0962 (edited January 03, 2001).]