Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Veggies n' fruits

Veggies n' fruits

I was wondering what vegetables and fruits you guys give your dogs?

I gave Teeko a fresh yellow bean last weekend and he loved it, so I gave him another a few days ago. I have also given him some pieces of bell pepper cut up. I'm wondering if beans + peppers are safe to give dogs? Or if someone can direct me to a website stating which veggies and fruits are ok to give them? (I know about onions, chocolate and grapes being bad though)

He also has carrotts, an occasional apple, and banana (I freeze them during the summer and give it to him on hot days).

Thanks

.:. To love someone is to learn the song in their heart and sing it to them when they have forgotten it .:.

I give my dogs carrots all the time--they love them!! Green beans too--I've read to give them beans when they are "dieting" so they're safe.
    I know someone on here gives their dogs apples regularly (I believe it's Pam).

I've also read that mushrooms aren't good for them either--don't remember where I saw that though.
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

Hmmm my dogs get all kinds of veggies and fruits.
    They get broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, lettuce, spinach, kale, beans, peas, cucumber, pumpkin, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, apples, grapes, watermelon....the list goes on and on.
    Veggies like cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, bok choy etc need to be fed in moderation as too much can block thyroid function.
    Also I read somewhere that dogs should only get baby spinach, but I can't remember why.
    I also avoid green peppers as they are a member of the nightshade family (I think that's what it's called) and are bad for dogs with arthritis. My dogs don't have arthritis but I avoid them anyways.

I think most veggies and fruits are good in moderation. And to top it all off, they are great low cal treats!

*Thanks Ashley*

Emily you are right! My dogs get several apple slices each day! Hubby eats an apple every day for breakfast. That's his complete breakfast and he shares it with Bella and Ripley. I also give them bananas and carrots and they even think lettuce is a treat.

Shelteez thank you for that list. I gave Bella a bit of green pepper the other night when I was making a salad, and while she was chewing it I was hoping it was safe. I thought I read here that grapes weren't safe for dogs. I used to occasionally give them grapes but read that I shouldn't so I stopped.

Thanks you guys! It's good to know that there are so many healthy treats we can give them.

Yes, I read that grapes aren't good to give them either.

.:. To love someone is to learn the song in their heart and sing it to them when they have forgotten it .:.

I have read grapes/raisins can cause kidney issues. We give our dogs green beans, apples, bananna and papaya. I often buy the yogurt covered fruit treats made for small pets. They are great for training and the dogs love them

My minpin could definitely be a vegetarian He eats it all. I have herad that veggies should be puried (?sp) because they have troubles digesting them (due to short intestines) and don't get the full nutrients out of them either. I make a mix them up and put them in blender and then add some to his kibble. He also gets lots of fruit - cantelope, strawberries, blueberries, bananas, watermelon. He doesn't really care for apples unless it is apple sauce
    Roxanne

Don't take for granted...what may not always be!

Originally posted by Poetic_thing
    My minpin could definitely be a vegetarian . He also gets lots of fruit - cantelope, strawberries, blueberries, bananas, watermelon.
    My dogs eat all of those as well as bananas, apples, baby carrots, and brocolli. Neither of them cares for baby spinach or lettuce though which I find strange as they are such grass munchers outside.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

I dropped a green olive on the floor the other day and Gracie grabbed it and took off..we watched her because we thought she would just play with it..but nope, she ate it like there was no tomorrow..lol...guess it didn't hurt her.
    I had a schauzer for 16 years and she only ate dog food...and I am not depriving Gracie of that privelege. She has had little tastes of brisket, peanut butter, french fries, hamburger and now a whole olive! We only give her a tiny morsel of human food tho..she is only 4 months old...and still being introduced to human food. And I sure don't want her to not eat her food by getting spoiled to it...like I have been told so many dogs will do. But I think giving her tiny bites now and then is a special treat...one I wish now I would have let Mercedes do..
    Gracie eats Eukanuba and then she has special training treats for her tricks or good behavior..

I haven't experimented with many fruits and veggies, but Lefty seems to prefer meats anyway. He ate some raw corn I'd spilled on the floor the other weekend when I was canning; however, though he comes running when the bag of baby spinach is opened, he spits the leaves out when given them to eat. He leaves apples and carrots shredded on the floor--I guess that's what it takes for him to decide he doesn't like them! Haven't tried bananas--maybe I will tonight!
    SMB ^ï^
    Bats--you need them more than you know!

My old black Lab grabbed a dill pickle off the table once, and he ate it, he screwed up his face and finished it all. After that when ever he smelled pickles he wanted one, I would only give him one very rarely. My yellow Lab Tawny loves baby carrots, green beans, apples, and mango. She really likes cooked cabbage, only give her a treat because its gassy. Phew.

Nebo loves fruit! Lately we've had bowls of cantelope and watermelon cut up in the fridge and he absolutely loves those, especially cantelope. He also likes apples, oranges, strawberries, bananas and probably just about any other fruit. I've only given him a little bit at a time to try. As for veggies he likes carrots, potatoes, lettuce, and I'm sure he'd like any others. He has tried a pickle before too and he liked it! He doesn't get any of these things often so they are special treats.

Reggie won't touch any of those items. Syd eats cantelope and sometimes other fruits and veggies. They aren't food hounds like Nebo.

The only fruit/veggie that Peej will eat is tomatoes. He loves them almost as much as he loves chicken and liver treats.

All I know is that onions r toxic to dogs. I think it kills their liver? But nonetheless I know they r toxic.

The only people food we gave to RB Max was carrots. That was the only people food that didn't make him terribly ill.

Smokey likes apples A LOT and gets a slice or two (sometimes w/ peanut butter - my fave) whenever I'm snacking on them.

Anyone give their dogs Edemame(SP?) --- a soy bean? I think they'd be ok... anyone??