Thread: interesting article

interesting article

Inmates keeping pet cats in jail
    September 13, 2004

MICHIGAN CITY, Ind. (AP) -- There are some pretty tough cats at Indiana State Prison.

However, they've done nothing wrong. They're pets of inmates.

"Come here, boy," inmate Jerry Grinstead cooed as he recently cuddled his cat Thor in his tattooed forearms. "Say, 'This is dad's baby."'

The maximum security prison with its 29 cat-owning inmates is the only correctional facility in the state that allows these pets, according to the Indiana Department of Correction.

Cats were never part of the plan at the 144-year-old prison. They simply wandered in through the north gate that once served as the entrance for coal trains, said Barry Nothstine, administrative assistant at the prison. Others came in through the maze of sewer pipes, he said.

No one can say when the first cat appeared in the facility, or when inmates began adopting the animals as pets.

"This goes back years and years," Nothstine said.

The cats have brought advantages: Their companionship has encouraged many inmates to keep their behavior in line, he said.

© Copyright 2004 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

I've often wondering why they don't have cats in prisons. I mean, they have many dog training programs in prisons, why not have some cats in there too. True, they are exactly socializing them to find good homes or teaching them to become "service cats" (the thought alone makes me chuckle), but cats could serve a very useful role in de-mousing the place.

There is no better and more environmentally friendly way of dealing with a rodent problem that with cats.
    The complete Knit-wit and occasional domestic diva.

Going to a church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

I think that most times, animals are much better therapists than people are.

I think that's really, really neat. Thanks for sharing that with us.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

I've watched programs on how inmates train dogs but never one about cats! This is a wonderful idea I think because it allows an inmate to show affection to something when they maybe never had that opportunity before. Somehow I think that is more rehabilitating than a lot of other programs in prisions.

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?
    That is a great idea to keep a sense of peace in a prison, but I sure hope they aren't allowing these cats to reproduce everywhere. Not to mention the stench involved with intact tom cats.
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

i think that when shelters run out of room,, the prisoners can foster them.

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    I think it's a great idea. For some of these people, it may be the first time they've ever experienced unconditional love. The only thing that worries me is the cats being around people who have shown violence towards animals in the past. I would certainly hope that the cats don't ever end up at the mercy of these kind of people.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Hi mspepper!!! Interesting article.

How are Pepper and Dude doing these days?

From Decker with Love

hi ya

hi ya
    doing pretty good.
    how are you and your furbabies?
    Pepper has the collar back around her neck
    she keeps irriitating the hot spot she had back in june
    it was pretty much cleared up but when I took them for their nail trims 2 weeks ago I had the vet take a good look at it
    and she said it looked a bit inflamed again so I got her some prescription cream" theraderm" from the vet and have been putting it on.. and have been keeping her collar on her now for almost 2 weeks.. she is pretty used to it now
    Now it looks pretty cleared up again, but as soon as I take the collar off she goes right for the spot and washes and washes and I am afraid she will get it inflamed again
    So at this point in time i am keeping the collar on her till the cream is all gone and see where I go from there
    The vet thinks it is either from her constanst washing or else it could be some allergy thing and maybe a biopsy could be in order to determine the cause... I would hate for her to have to go through all that.. a mild anesthetic would be in order and I am not keen on that at all so am keeping the collar on her for now and hoping for the best........
    all the kitties on this board are so so precious

Poor Pepper. Hope the cream helps.

My gang's all well right now. A little stressed from a major house remodeling project but doing okay. Tonight they are learning how to run on hardwood floors for the first time. It's been comical to say the least.

From Decker with Love

That ceratinly is a much better option,that putting Healthy,Potential Pets,to sleep! Anything,is better,than Death!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I saw an article a long time ago about inmates in a minimum security prison grooming dogs and cats. In Danbury the inmates work with the seeing eye and assistant dogs. This is the first time I've heard about really hard cases having cats! Maybe this will help rehabilitate them where all else has failed. And cats work for cheap!
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb