Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Magoo is back from the white coats.

Magoo is back from the white coats.

First let me say that I really really like this vet!! He was very good with Magoo as well as hubby and I.
    He drained Magoo's eye but he suggested that we let him operate and open it up again and take a look in there. He expalained that there are two parts to the eye cavity. One part has the tear ducts and the back part holds some gooey sticky stuff. He said that if any portion of that was missed then it can still produce the fluid. Once he withdrew the fluid he felt it and said that it was not sticky at all and he THINKS that it could be a portion of a tear duct was missed and it's still producing liquid. Jan (QSA) told me to ask about this but he said it before I could ask. Jan you should have been a vet!!! Anyway, he said all the right things!! Like, I'm sure this is hard on him when he doesn't know where he is, and I bet he's just fine at home where he knows where things are isn't he? He never once acted like Magoo should have been put down! I was so happy!!!
    He was gentle and kind and talked to Magoo. He was also willing to do whatever we thought was best. He said we can continue to drain it if that is what we chose to do. He said he would drain it today and we could think about what we wanted to do and let him know. He also said he would not keep Magoo over night since it would be hard on him if we did that. I LOVE THIS GUY!!!
    He was also reasonably priced I thought. I asked him how much the surgery would cost and he said that would depend on the cuss factor!! He said it would be $125 unless it caused him to cuss a lot and the worst case would be $175.
    Hubby and I discussed it on the way home and I think we are going to do it. We will have to wait until one of us can get a day off of work but we don't want to wait too terribly long because more scar tissue will just continue to build up. We will do it sometime this year I'm sure. That is if PT co-owners of Magoo agree that it is the best thing to do for him.
    So what do you guys think?

Here is Magoo with his booboo all gone.

Sorry I rambled for so long but I finally feel like I got some answers from a very nice vet and I'm excited!!
    Magoo was such a good boy and so sweet when we got home. He wouldn't sit up for a picture he just wanted to hold and love my arm and hand.
    GEESH I love this furry guy!!!

I think your gut is telling you to do this for Magoo - and you should go with it. Especially since you feel good about the Vet.

You could continue with the draining, but over time would it have to be done more and more often?

That picture of Magoo says it all - he trusts you to do the right thing.

This vet does seem to have a better cat-side manner and a good grip on the situation.

Magoo does seem much more relaxed. I'm glad this session went well.
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

"FUUUUHHHHHH.........."

Ah.....Yeah, I think you should go for it...........

I almost cost you the extra 50 bucks!!!!
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?
    Yay! A possible solution to Magoo's problem! I hear "I should have been a vet, so many times Lisa". I think I'd flunk out of school at the first dissection day. I've been through so many different scenarios involving kitties by now, it struck me as odd (having a few one eyed kitties in house) that the fluid kept building on that same side. I'm glad you found a vet you really feel confidant about, and agree that maybe if it's not too much for Magoo to endure, maybe it should be resolved once and for all. I just hope if you do go through with it, he doesn't turn into a beast again after anesthesia. P.S..I like the 'cuss factor' being brought up LOL!
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

$175 sounds inexpensive for an operation so it must not be terribly difficult. I vote "go for it". Get it done, once and for all.

Oh Lisa, this new vet sounds GREAT. How compassionate he was towards Magoo and I like a vet that explains everything to you without having to ask questions.

OH yes, yes, I agree to go for the surgery, especially if it will help Magoo so he doesn't have to keep going back to the vets to have the fluid drained.

Please give that precious boy of ours, a big hug and kiss for me Lisa. Pllllleeeasssee.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

This is great news Lisa. I also LOVE the sound of this vet - all the things he had to say about our Magoo - terrific. The surgery also sounds very reasonable and like a good thing to consider when the time feels right. Thanks SO much for the update!!

Thank God! Magoo look so much better, and more comfortable too! WOW, it sounds like you have found a wonderful, and caring vet ... better hang on to him!!! I like the way he prices his procedure, by the "cuss factor" ... hehehe, he even has a sense of humor!!!

I think I would do it, Lisa ... it sounds like the surgery would be fairly simple .. and would certainly relieve the problem, thus cutting the future vet visits down quite a bit! Of course, whatever you decide, you know (I hope) that I am behind you 110%!!!

Hugs to you and Magoo, and the vet too!
    Kim
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Great news girl!! The news sounds good for my Goo boy.. Yes, I agree, it is time to put a stop to that swelling and the discomfort is may cause him Go for it, it sounds afforadable so lets get Magoo boy done so he won't have to go get stuck every 4 to 6 weeks.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    That vet sounds WONDERFUL! Definitely a keeper! I say go for it - $175 is EXTREMELY reasonable for any kind of operation for our furred ones.

And as for that picture - AWWWWWWWWWW! I'm melting at the sight of those furry feet!

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

I must have missed the fact that the eye was swelling again, but I would certainly concider that operation. And congratulations on finding a GREAT vet.

The vet sounds like a fabulous man! I think the operation sounds like a good idea just so her doesn't ever have to go through the lump building up again. He must be a brave boy to let them drain it.

Oh Magoo!!! I'm so happy for this sweet kitty boy!!! I rushed home from the Y to see the news! And it's GREAT NEWS!!! I'm always so excited to hear about GREAT VETS!!! There aren't many out there (or at least they're very very hard to find!) Sounds like you can defintiely trust this guy with your angel kitty Magoo! I don't think he'll hate you for putting him through the surgery . . . in the long run, it will be better for him.

He's such a sweetheart! I loved the pic of him cuddling your hand!!! That face just melts my heart!!!

Lisa, please give Magoo a big kiss for me!!! I'm so proud of him!

BTW, I vote GO FOR IT!
    -christa

~RIP Abby Jan 14, 1995 - July 21, 2005~

This is wonderful news! You'd have to weigh out the cost of draining this periodically, and a surgery which may end all this once and for all. You know me & Kevin, we would do the surgery! Remember Porch who had megacolon? They said his only option other than to be put down was an operation, which there was no guarantee. We went for the $1500 surgery, and a couple years later Porch is still with us!!

I'm also glad you felt good with this vet. The price seems very reasonable!
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers