Thread: small animal playpen

small animal playpen

I looked at petco today for a small animal playpen - so I could take the pigs and Benjamin outside, or just keep them in one spot in my room. They had a nice one there, but it was $70!

Anyone have suggestions on making one? I was thinking about using the 'cubes' that I used to make the guinea pigs' cage, but they wouldn't be tall enough for Benjamin - he'd hop over them!

And also I looked at rabbit cages - I want to get a nice one (with out a wire bottom) for Benjamin. It was $50. I think I'll get it this week. It's bigger than the one he has now too - shorter though, but I think all the height is just wasted space. I mean, he's not that tall!

1 girl, 1 pup, 2 guinea piggies, 1 bunny & 1 turtle!

You can use the cubes, you have to stack them tall enough so that they are over 36" (the minum hieght I would use, my buns can still clear that!) Use Zip ties to put them together. Don't put them in a circle, because you are going to want to have a door. To latch the "door" you can use the ends of dog leashes, you can buy them at Walmart.

Ashley
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

Okay, thanks Ash!

I have a Midwest puppy pen for Peanut, which was $63 at our pet store. I found the same one on the internet and they wanted $125 for it- I don't think so! Peanut loves it, and I love it even more.
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

Originally posted by YellowLabLover
    I have a Midwest puppy pen for Peanut, which was $63 at our pet store. I found the same one on the internet and they wanted $125 for it- I don't think so! Peanut loves it, and I love it even more.
    lol, I didn't even think of looking in the dog section! But I think I'll make one. It'll be a lot cheaper.

ooo that sucks, I'm getting a small animal playpen at a feed and housing pet shop. It's like $15-$30....
    "To all the dogs I've loved before...Who traveled in & out my door...I'm glad you came along...I dedicate this song to all the dogs I've loved before"

i got mine at wal-mart for $20

maybe kari is weird lol but I can use one grid high pens for her, and while she can easily clear it, she does not even try. she can clear are 3 foot pen anytime she wants to, it has no top, but she does not try, in over 1 year now she have only jumped her pen 3 times, and every time was to take her run, if she missed it for some reason or rather the night before. I guess I am just spoiled with a very well behaved bunny! lol kari has escaped the 1 grid high playpen before, but not by jumping it lol she just picked the lock on the door and opened it!
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

Wow those play pens were expensive! Taffy's only cost me 10 dollars (but the sides would be WAY too low for a bunny)

Good luck making one!

Chrissy [human] Snowy [bichon/maltese] Buttons ['tiel] Bubbles [CT betta]

-the zoo crew-
    RIP Taffy, Fluffy, Rainbow, Sushi, and The Fishies
    thatDARNhorse <3