Thread: The tiels have arrived!!

The tiels have arrived!!

Yay!! We got our two tiels sitting in our bedroom right now! They are so darned cute! I turned on some music for them .. they are chirping loudly .. I don't know if thats a good or bad thing! heh

So we got a big surprise though. We thought we were getting baby tiels. Well it turns out we have the parents of the babies! They are a couple that has been together for a long time ... they are not sure on the age but are thinking they are 15-17 years old! I was disappointed in one sense because I know that they must be nearing that age .. but they will probably have babies .. so I need to do some serious researching.

Has anyone here helped raise a baby tiel?? If they lay any eggs I will most definetely want to keep a baby tiel .. I've caught the bird bug now. So if you guys have any advice on what to do if that situation arises (which it probably will) I would really appreciate it!!

This is so exciting ... I have lots to learn!!

I will get pictures soon =D

Their names are Chip(Male) and Fancy(Female).

I don't know enough to know if a pair that old would even have babies! What I do know is that if they are with you, they will be well cared for and happy. I cannot imagine, though, that someone would get rid of any animal that is that old!!!

With only having ever dealt with one clutch, I'm probably not much help, if you get eggs, but I'll try when that time comes. We let our birds do all the work, but we interacted with the babies almost from the very start and everything went ok. So when and if you get to that point, I'll share what little I do know.

Logan

Funny thing, the people thought that the tiels lived as long as parrots!! So I guess thats why they didn't mind giving them away - I hope she told them the difference!! What a serious miscalculation.

Even still, they are not sure on the age. Thats a guestimate. Hopefully they're younger. The owner did say they still laid eggs regularly .. the babies that they had are now only a year old, and they've been laying still since then.

I hope they do .. .it will not only be my first time seeing something like that, but I would love to get the babies!!

Lol, they defiantly don't live as long as parrots. Parrots (depending on the kind) live 60+ years. The average live span of a Cockatiel is 13-14 years, however they often make it into their 20's.

Thats great that you got them, I love their names. I know nothing about raising baby cockatiels. I wouldn't think that it'd be too hard, momma and daddy probably do a good job themselves. I just know that they need to have a cuttle bone (even if their not laying eggs, but especially if they are). Also keep any eggs off the bottom grid. I have always had cockatiels, but never babies.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

I have a few questions ...

How long does it usually take for tiel's to warm up to their new owners? They are very scared right now and move away whenever we put our hands near the cage. How do we go about making them more comfortable around us?

Can you tell an older tiel from a younger one? These tiel's appear young but I don't believe they are ...

When should I introduce them to the cats? They've never been around cats before. And could this possibly interfere with them ever having babies or should they just get used to the cats being around?

Thanks guys

First of all, congrats on your new tiels!!! I can't WAIT to see pics!!!

Second, cockatiels *are* a species of parrots. The thing is, not all parrots have the same life span. For example, parakeets usually live around 10-13 years or so, though they can possibly live longer. Cockatiels very often live to be 20+ years old. Several people on a cockatiel board I used to visit actually had tiels close to their 30s, and still healthy and active. Large parrots, like cockatoos, african greys, and macaws, very often live for 60, 70, 80, even 100 years. At 15-17 years, your birds could very possibly still have a good number of years ahead of them. I believe a member on Tiel Talk had a 17 year old tiel who she thought was male until it laid its first egg at 17. Strange, but because it laid an egg at 17, I would think it possible for them to still have babies at that age. Not sure though, but maybe.

As to introducing them to the cats, I, personally, would never consider introducing my birds to cats. While I know some people do allow their cats to see their birds when they are in the cage, I know *my* birds would be terrified. I would actually worry about them getting a heart attack....that is how scared they are from cats. They go crazy when they see a cat pass through the backyard. I would keep them in a seperate room if I had cats in the house. If they're 15-17 years old and have never met cats, I would fear seeing a cat would greatly frighten them.

I'm not exactly sure how you can tell an older tiel from a younger one, as mine are just 5 years old, but I've *heard* older tiels have more dry/scaly feet.

I have no experience with baby tiels, but Logan's birds recently raised 3 little babies, so I guess she could now be our PT baby tiel guide.

It usually takes birds awhile to warm up to their new owners. My birds weren't comfortable around us for at least 2 weeks when we first got them, but they were babies, and not tame at all back then. If your tiels are tame, hopefully they will warm up quicker.

Good luck! What colors are they?

Thank you for the great reply pcb

Here they are :

Chip:

Fancy:

As for introducing them to the cats, I feel we have no other option. I mean we live in a small, 2 bedroom apartment .. 2 bedrooms of which are obviously used frequently everyday. I wouldn't want to keep them barred up in a room all the time and it would be hard work keeping the cats out of the room, seeing our apartment is only one floor and is super small!

We're going to have to introduce them as gradually as possible ... and make sure their cage is up so high the cats can't get at them .. in the meantime we're going to leave them in the computer room to let them get used to their new home.

the tiels are beautiful!

i got my male tiel when he was 15 yrs old. he's 17 now and i think he has plenty of yrs ahead.

if they do have another clutch be sure you do plenty of re-search between now and then. you can never know too much!
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Oh my gosh!!! They're beautiful!!!! Very sweet.

I guess they'll just have to get used to the kitties then. Do you think you'll be able to allow them some play time everyday, outside of the cage, without the cats being able to get them? They are already tame, right?

They are tame, I guess. I'm not really sure what the difference is .. but I've been told through word that the owner had them for probably 5-6 years, who got them from someone else who had them for x number of years. She says they talked a bit and sang songs in the morning =D

Once they are comfortable enough to get out of the cage around me, I'll put the cats in a room so they can roam around the house. I think it will be a while before they do that though. They do eat food from my hands, so I guess thats a good sign

ohh what cute birdies

Originally posted by popcornbird
    I believe a member on Tiel Talk had a 17 year old tiel who she thought was male until it laid its first egg at 17. Strange, but because it laid an egg at 17

Thats what happened with my aunt and uncle's tiel. She layed a few eggs at 17 or 18, and they thought she was a boy!

Good luck with the tiels!

Chrissy [human] Snowy [bichon/maltese] Buttons ['tiel] Bubbles [CT betta]

-the zoo crew-
    RIP Taffy, Fluffy, Rainbow, Sushi, and The Fishies
    thatDARNhorse <3

My tiels share my office with me. Butter does come in here, every now and then, but only when they are safely in their cages and only when I am present. We have too many dogs and cats in this house to ever consider letting them wander, though at times I wish they could. All it would take is one time to end it all, and I just can't risk it. So, the Cockatiels stay in one room of our house and never leave it. But they have a gymnasium to play on and we hold them too (wish we had more time to do that more often).

Be careful with the cats. It will always be their natural instinct to go after a bird, no matter how much you trust them.

Your new birds are just beautiful!!!!

Logan

I had a Lutino tiel that I got from my boyfriend's grandfather. I knew she was old, but I had no idea what her age was. I had her for about 6 years, then she got sick and I had to put her down. I thought she was about 18 when she died. My boyfriend's grandfather came to visit the next week and he told me she was at least 23. So they could have a lot of years left.

PS. They are beautiful!
    Billy and Willy! (2 of my 4)