Well I've always known my cats (and foster cats) are very dog savvy since I've raised them with my own dogs and my foster dogs. It just dawned on me though that 6 of the 8 are better with dogs than they are with new cats and new people, hehe. Whenever I bring a new foster cat home, they are quarantined in the bathroom. But my cats usually see me carry in the cat carrier and smell the strange kitty and start hissing and swatting at each other. When a new person comes over to visit, none of the cats will come up to the person with the exception of Lucky and Chance. Those two think everyone is their best friend!

The other night I brought home a shelter dog, Odie, to spend the night so he could get a break from the shelter. As soon as I walked in with him, I was greeted by all 8 cats. Skylar jumped on the couch, got on his back, and hung his head and front paws off the couch trying to touch the new doggie (upsdie down around a brand new dog - that is TRUST!). Chance immediately ran up to him and started headbutting him and poking him with his paws. Lucky was behind him playing with his tail. Missy and Merlin were sitting on the arm of the couch so they could smell his head. Maya, Shiloh, and Magic kept a slightly bigger distance, but still came up to him to sniff. Odie slept in bed with me and I woke up to find several of the cats curled up around us (the cats always sleep with me, but I wasn't sure if they would with Odie in the bed too).

Aren't they great kitties?

Note: I am EXTREMELY careful about which dogs I bring into my home. Since my cats are so trusting, I really have to ensure it won't be a dog that will hurt them.