Thread: In loving memory of Gracie, Dickie and Layla

In loving memory of Gracie, Dickie and Layla

GRACIE:

The first greyhound we ever owned, her name was Gracie. Her trainer from the track kept in close contact with us- Gracie would go CRAZY happy when she saw him at Greyhound events.

Gracie was the perfect dog, a striking brindle girl. Very affectionate and loyal, good with all living creatures. No behavioral problems at all. She wasn't too hyper but knew how to play. All who knew her loved her.

DICKIE:

One day he called to tell us he had Gracie's BROTHER if we wanted him. How could we say no? My mother and I drove an hour away in the rain to meet her brother, Dickie.

He by comparison to his sister was NOT a perfect angel- actually, his trainer kept him outside a lot since he got into everything in the house! Because of his segregation from the house and other dogs, he was a bit of a challenge. He would growl at other dogs, mostly males who seemed threatening to him. He counter-surfed and got into the garbage. He actually nipped my mom on the forehead one day. But he had times when he was very affectionate, and he was a big softie on the inside- just had to keep up the tough dog exterior!

Gracie passes away at the young age of 10 years, while on vacation. The vet told us she had kidney disease. She was sorely missed.

LAYLA:

Dickie was about 7 years old when my mom fell in love with Layla at a meet and greet. She was found wandering around outside with planters warts on all of her feet. 11 years old but still had a lot of life left in her (I really wish we had her when she was younger). In her eyes I saw some of what I had long ago seen in Gracie's eyes- patience, wisdom, and lots of love. So we took her home.

She struggled a bit with her planter's warts, but we cut them down ourselves. She was 14 near the end when a tumor appeared on her, and she could no longer get up on her own. Our vet came to our house on a special visit for us to euthanize her. It was only a few months after we had to have Dickie euthanized, as he succumbed to the same fate as his sister- kidney disease.

With both Dickie and Layla, I stood by them as they were euthanized.

It was Gracie that gave me the courage to do so, about 4 years back. In her eyes before she was put down, I saw such peace and understanding, and remember my mom saying, "She knows", in tears.

I just recently found this video showing Dickie after a walk and a little of Layla (isn't she beautiful? Soft as a rabbit), on my computer. I got my camera when Layla started to get sick, and so I didn't take a lot of pictures of her.

Layla and Dickie passed a while back, about a year ago, Layla on October 1st, a day before my mom's birthday.

RIP to my grey babies. Here is the video of Dickie and Layla, and a few pictures I found of Gracie. Thanks for letting me share their story PT.

-Sarah

http://s1214.photobucket.com/albums/...4H01185_1_.mp4
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grace laying down.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	47589   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gracie girl.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	47590  
    Last edited by ToBeEvergreen; 08-29-2011 at 06:57 PM.
    The pups

The Kitty Krew

"Petting, scratching, and cuddling a dog could be as soothing to the mind and heart as deep meditation and almost as good for the soul as prayer." - Dean Koontz, False Memory

Gracie, Dickie and Layla were all beautiful dogs. I'm sure you miss them dearly. Thanks for sharing them with us.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla