Thread: Bill's Demise

Bill's Demise

On Friday I had my cat Bill put to sleep. That morning I won't up to some flopping sounds in downstairs. It sounded just like the time back in October when Bill was having seizures. I rushed downstairs to find him struggling to get to his litter box. He was unable to move his hind legs. His legs had had no feeling and felt cold. Poor Bill. He was determined to get the litterbox and managed to get in, but of course could not stand up. I took him to the vet that morning. The vet could find no pulse in his legs and explained to me that sometimes a blood cot gets lodged in the artery just before it branches out to both hind legs thereby cutting off all circulation to the legs. They kept him there that morning and did some more tests but it appeared that the vets first diagnosis was correct and there is nothing much they can do about that situation. Even if the clot somehow got dissolved, permanant damage was already done to the legs. I was hearbroken but of course, did not want him to have to live like that and he was put down peacefully in my arms.

Has anyone out there ever heard of this type of situation? Also, a couple of days before, Bill had been put under anesthesia to have his teeth cleaned. I checked with the vet before had to see if we should do this because of his prior history of seizures. The vet assured me it was OK. If I had to do it over, I would never have had the dental cleaning. Because although it may not have been the cause of his problem, I think it may have precipitated it.

Bill was big, beautiful cat and otherwise looked like the picture of health. His kitty "sisters" and I will miss him terribly. Give your kitties a big hug today. You never know what could happen tomorrow.

I miss you, Bill.

My deepest sympaties and condolences over your precious Bill. May God be with you at this time.

Dear Catherine, how very sorry I am to hear that you have lost your precious Bill. These posts always bring tears to my eyes because I KNOW exactly how you are feeling. It is so difficult to make that final decision and the loss seems overwhelming. You are in my prayers today.

Dear Catherine. Please accept my most sincere condolences on the loss of Bill. Your story is heartbreaking and your saddness is so deep. So many of us here know exactly how you feel, and so the tears fall. Every day I hold each of my furkids and hug them so tightly and tell them how much I love them, for as you say, we never know what tomorrow may bring. And Catherine, I do recall that quite a while back, this exact same thing happenend to another kitty of Pet Talk; I believe the cause was dilated cardiomyopathy. As in your very sad case, there is often little that can be done. I am sure you did all that you possibly could to help Bill. I send you all my love and prayers, and hopes that with time, your heart may begin to heal. Bless you dear, sweet Bill. Look for my babies Fritz, Chessa, Tuna and Lizzie at the Rainbow Bridge. They will be lending you a guiding paw. Love, Sandra, Mr. B and Oliver

[ January 13, 2002: Message edited by: tatsxxx11 ]
    Last edited by tatsxxx11; 01-23-2002 at 06:08 PM.

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Catherine,
    Please know that my thoughts are with you during this difficult time. I know it was a hard decision, but based on what you describe, a very noble one. Bill is happy and healthy again....and who could ask for more?
    Logan

Netherlands (where I'm from) & Germany (where I live)
    Dear Catherine,
    I know what you're going through. We had to put our 18 year old cat to sleep last year and I still miss her. But it's sometimes the best thing to do, and from what I read in your story, you did the best you could and let your cat peacefully go away to a better world. Time heals all wounds, and the wonderful memories of the passtimes you had with your cat remain.
    My deepest sympaties and condolences.

C.C.'s Mom

Dear Catherine,

I also know how you feel, I had to put one of my cats to sleep last September. Even though he was over 18 I knew that nothing else could be done for him it still hurt. THe pain will ease with time and even though you'll never stop missing them, you will be able to recall all the precious moments you shared. My thoughts are with you.

Take care
    Gio

[ January 14, 2002: Message edited by: Gio ]

Catherine - my heart hurts to hear about you're sweet Bill. I truly know how you feel - I put my sweet Jessee (Seal Point Siamese) down last March and I still miss her sweet presence. She used to sleep with her head in my hand - I miss her so very much. God Bless you Catherine.

Dear {{{Catherine}}},

Sending you a cyberhug. From what I've read, those blood clots happen; it wasn't related to the dental cleaning. What a shock for you. Will hold you and your precious Bill in our prayers.

AmberLee and the fur-babies
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

Dear Catherine,
    Please know that my thoughts are with you and your precious Bill. You had to make a very difficult decision, but you did it so that Bill wouldn't have to suffer. Always remember that you did what was best for him and he is at the Rainbow Bridge waiting for you and feeling thankful that he had you as his human.

Thelma

Many thanks to Kay for the fabulous sig!

Catherine,
    I am so sorry for your loss. Know that we all here have you and Bill in our thoughts.

God Bless.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

I want to thank everyone for their notes of sympathy for my Bill. I will always have wonderful memories of him.

Catherine - I'm late coming to the very sad news of poor Bill's demise. I understand how you feel and my heart goes out to you. Don't blame yourself - you loved him and gave him a lovely home. I too have heard about these blood clots and it always seems very quick. He was with you when he passed and just think his final sleep was in your arms.
    When I lost my beloved Kisi (Siamese) I thought I'd never stop crying - and I did. You will too - but you'll never forget your lovely boy.
    I'm away to bed now (it's just past midnight) but you'll be in my thoughts now and for days to come.
    Chin up.
    Love from Lynne
    xxx

Dear Catherine,
    I've just discovered a lovely site - www.petloss.com - please pay it a visit, I 'm sure you will be glad you did. I've just spent half an hour weeping at the beautiful things written there - but it helped.
    Please pay them a visit.
    Hugs from across the miles.
    Chin up
    Lynne. xxx