Thread: chewing

Question chewing

I've just got adopted a new dog from the S.P.C.A. His name is Camen and he is 6 months and he is a ridgeback mix.
    He is a smart puppy he knows all the basics but he tends to chew on everybody hands that come near him. (not that he takes their hands off) But enough to annoy you! And when you tell him 'no' or 'ouch' he'll chew softer and sometimes licks your hand. But he does'nt stop until you leave the room!
    i don't know what to do? help!

sounds like he is training you! a common solution to this problem is to say ouch and leave the room! withdraw your attention for a couple minutes and try it again. if your pup learns that biting = no more attention he will likely stop the biting. it won't happen instantaneously and you have to be consistent (meaning every time he bites you get up and leave) but he should catch on pretty quick.

when is he most mouthy with you? when you play?

Ah yes...a common problem with puppies. My dog used to do that all the time, it's part of their puppyhood- they need to chew and that's how they play. You have to tell him in a stern voice "NO" and leave the room, like someone else said or give him praise when he bites now as hard or stops bighting. Good luck! Keep us posted.

~ Highschool rox ur socks!! Highschool is so amazing and I love it. Hi to everyone on Pet Talk, I know I have not been on for a while, I'm just busy. All of you here that I know rock! Keep up being friendly, posting on Pet Talk and havin fun. Buddy sends kisses. ~

Re: chewing

Originally posted by kimboe
    I've just got adopted a new dog from the S.P.C.A. His name is Camen and he is 6 months and he is a ridgeback mix.
    He is a smart puppy he knows all the basics but he tends to chew on everybody hands that come near him. (not that he takes their hands off) But enough to annoy you! And when you tell him 'no' or 'ouch' he'll chew softer and sometimes licks your hand. But he does'nt stop until you leave the room!
    i don't know what to do? help!
    Actually - I think you are on the right track. It seems you are already teaching him bite inhabition and that is extremely important. I think your next step is to teach him that hands are not for chewing - other things are. At 6 months of age, your pup is probably teething and needs to have items to chew on that will ease the soreness in his mouth. Stuffed Kongs work well and if you have a place where he can chew it without making a mess - make one and freeze it. All natural rawhide is good as well as long as he only chews it under supervision.

Next you should teach him a gentle "take it" and "off" or "leave it". Start with a handful of kibble and give him one piece with the command "take it". Close your fist and give the command "off" or "leave it". Once he has not touched your hands for a few seconds - open your hand again and give the command "take it" and give another piece of kibble. Repeat this exercise for about 5 minutes a day before his dinner. It will probably take a few weeks to establish the behavior completely. Once you have established the "off" or "leave it" behavior, you can use it to stop the mouthing before it starts.

Remember too, that the pup is "mouthing" you as an invitation to play. If you have the time to play - do some basic obedience drills and perhaps a game of fetch. If you don't have time to play with him a time out in his crate with a chew toy might be the best answer.

Sorry so late, But , tried the kong idea and and said ouch. He doesn't chew any more but licks uncontrollably. but it's bettr than biting.

I agree with what everyone has said, exceot for the rawhide that clara4457 mentioned.
    I believe rawhide should not be given to a dog that is learning not to chew, as they have to chew, chew, chew a rawhide to make it tasty, which in turn teaches your dog to chew. They think if they chew long enough everything will get softer & tastier.
    Otherwise you have gotten some great suggestions & seem to be doing the right thing.
    Good luck
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.