Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help!!!

Need Help!!!

We came home (From the PET store) and found a Cockatiel walking around the pavement, a cat chasing after it!!! I freaked out and Justin caught him, and he stayed in his hands. So I called the SPCA ... of course, not open. So now we have a cockatiel in our laundry room .. and I have no idea what to do!

What are they like?? What do they eat?? We have seeds (hamster food) .. is that okay to give them? No stores are open now so we have to make do with what we have here.

I'm going to call the SPCA first thing tomorrow .. but for the meantime I need some help on this bird .. Its my first time around one .. I'm also afraid if he might be sick, I can't tell ...

P.S .. HE IS ADORABLE!

Johanna

OMG i think ur lucky sry, i don't know anything bout cockatiels but i rly rly want a budgie, my dad saw one hopping around trying to get in the house on my bday he KNEW i wanted one but he didn't want to pick it up so, by the time i woke up it was gone. Typical!! sorry i guess im kinda spamming on ur thread i'll leave now
    good luck with the birdie!!

I think I'll have a hard time when his owners get him now! lol We already gave him a temporary name, Spencer. We get attatched way to fast .. hehe

I feel so bad for the people that must be SO worried about him right now .. I know that I would be hysterical

He's adorable! I just brought it a dry cracker and he had a few nibbles of it .. he just seems reaaaaly tired so we're leaving him alone.

He's using my bike as a perch .. lol

Anyway .. plz help with some suggestions on what I should do next ...

Found online:

A good choice is to feed them a diet of pet bird pellets, fresh veggies, and treats like whole-grain bread, bits of chicken meat, boiled egg (boil for at least 15 minutes), and an occasional bit of fresh seed.
    Also I saw a suggestion that Cheerios or other dried crunchy cereal would be good for him.

Thanks .. can I feed them sunflower seeds? Other than that I only have the hamster food mix ....

I don;t know if their beaks can handle sunflower seeds. I'm sure he'll be okay for tonight with just cracker or cereal and maybe some water in a small dish.

Sunflower seeds are fine. Charlie has those in his dish. Other than that, try giving him veggies if you have some, nothing with a pit, like a peach or avacado... um... leafy green veggies are the best, and I have heard citrus can kill them... I dunno, but just to be on the safe side, maybe don't! Also try noodles... just plain noodles, Charlie loves cooked noodles. Good luck!

twitter.
    http://twitter.com/meganxxjo

now she's slowly opening
    new eyes.

When I was taking care of my Aunts Cocateil, for treats we would give him crackers, cheerios, and he loved noodles. I know they liked to be covered with a towel or a blanket at night...anyway u can do that?

Thanks again guys ... well I can't do the towel thing cause I don't have a cage .. lol

I will leave him alone for now .. but he just had some water and is nibbling on some crackers .. I'll try the noodles and seeds when he is awake ..

He'll probably sleep all night, after being chased by a kitty!

Good luck, and give updates soon! If no owner calls... do I sense a tiel in your future???

twitter.

now she's slowly opening
    new eyes.

you should keep him/her!!! i love the name spencer! it is too cute!
    AWW what nice markings. You are very lucky you found the tiel when you did i think. I just got two tiels. I feed mine small parrot food and veggies. they dont really like the veggies but they love sunflower seeds .

I would suggest you putting an add in the found section of the paper and if you dont get a reply that is legit, then keep him/her!!!!!

Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

Totally! Lol... Spencer is adorable.

twitter.

now she's slowly opening
    new eyes.

I think it was meant to be!! He went right to Justin as soon as we pulled the truck in the driveway!

Of course I would keep him if no one claimed him .. I am secretly hoping they don't .. thats bad of me .. but I love birds and always wanted one! Its a funny farm in our little apartment now with 2 cats a hamster and now a tiel! lol

So - What kind of cockatiel is he - or is there only one kind .. What is their lifespan? ... Are they expensive to buy? Can they talk?? Just wondering some things..

Thanks again everybody .. I'll keep you updated .. this is so exciting!

As for which kind, ask PCB! I couldn't tell ya... a Pearl cockatiel? Maybe? Lmao... no idea! They live for quite a long time... about 20 years or easily more. And he... might be a she! Compared to my boys coloring, hers/his isn't very bright. Again, ask PCB or Logan, they know more than I do. Charlie cost approx. $125 at Petco. Some tiels talk, some don't. It all varies.

twitter.

now she's slowly opening
    new eyes.

Is this guy just EXTRA friendly ... or are they all like this??? I seem to have a problem .. he's permanently attatched to my shoulder! He's sleeping there, and now he's grooming! If I go to put my finger for him to perch on he bows his head down for a head scratch! I mean its adorable and all .. but I really don't know how to get him off! lol

Oh, update, he flew over to my left shoulder. Lily saw this. Oh now she knows. She's meowing. Okay .... lets put you back in your room buddy .. and he got off onto his little "perch" .. eating again now. He literally ATE the whole night .. heh