Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nala attacked Kiara

Nala attacked Kiara

First off, please no one start anything in this thread.
    For some reason I have some sort of gut feeling that someone is going to say something offensive because of this.

Second off, Everyone is fine and dandy now.

Now, to the story....

Nala has not been feeling well at all today. She threw up earlier and just hasn't been herself.

I gave both of them a rawhide chip (and Simba a scooby snack since he doesn't like rawhide)

Kiara went into the living room, and Nala sat right next to me by the computer. Nala of course finished hers up quickly, and just watched Kiara.
    Kiara was almost finished when Nala attacked her. She had been staring at her the whole time and I told her a few times to knock it off. She didn't hurt Kiara at all but scared the pee out of her (literally) and us! My parents were sleeping in the both of them came running from their room.

I'm sure it was just because of the bone. She's very protective over her food and bones with other dogs. I'm guessing this is because when she was a pup, her littermates didn't allow her to eat or something. She was WAY skinnier than all of them.
    I've been working with her and Simba over this though and now i'm going to start with her and Kiara.

Another thing that factors up to it is people are always leaving Nala out. I don't because I love them all equally, but people are constantly picking favorites between them. My parents always make Nala get off their bed, which in a way I understand because she's so large, but it's just like telling one of your kids that they can sleep on a nice comfy bed, but the other has to get on the floor. People generally ignore Nala and pet either Simba or Kiara.

I'm constantly yelling at my parents because they exclude Nala. She has feelings and needs too... no matter her size. I think this made them realize that I was right, because my mom invited Nala to come sleep with them.

I'm now going to seperate them while chewing until they're either done or I think they've had enough.

After I got Nala from Kiara (All I had to do is say her name) Nala went into her room (my room) She knew she had done something wrong. I invited her back out and then she acted completely fine with Kiara.

I did have to give Kiara a bath though because she pee'd.

Just thought i'd let you all know.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I'm glad no one was hurt.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

Glad everyone is OK now! Nebo is completely fine with food with people...I could take a steak away from him and he wouldn't flinch. However, he does not appreciate dogs going near his food. He bit Smokey over his kong one time (Smokey was ok) and will growl if Reggie or Sydney go near him if he has a rawhide or something like that. Whenever I give him treats like that now I make him eat it on his bed only and stay down there by him to make sure the other dogs leave him alone.

I'm glad the wee one is alright. Nala clearly didn't want to hurt her--she's big enough that if she wanted to hurt Kiara, she would have and with ease.

Maybe give Nala her treats in her crate or other nice place. My Sleet doesn't care about her food, but she is not impressed when other dogs try to take her treats. So when she gets one inside, I give it to her on her bed and then close the bedroom door while she chews. She feels safe in her special spot and everyone enjoys their chewies in peace.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

I'm glad to hear everyone is ok, and clean now!!

My dogs have had a few fights, and every time it has been over a bone or some other type of food--never while they're actually eating, but maybe a treat or something. Kito and Abbey had a fight over a bone, Kito and Jada got into it one day over a toy that had treats in it, and Abbey and Jada had a fight or 2 over a bone.
    Honestly, they are all big sweeties. Give Kito a greenie though, and let one of the other dogs come near him, and he turns into the devil.

That's how I've solved the problem though--no one gets bones, treats, greenies or whatever, unless they are separated, or supervised. We haven't had a fight in a long time.

I think I understand how Nala feels, because Abbey was the same way for a while. Kito was the "cool" dog, and Riley was a puppy--no one (meaning people who came over, not us) paid any attention to our little lovebird. It was like she had sibling rivalry for a while. Plus all of the attention Riley got because he was being potty trained and stuff--she just felt a little left out, I think.

Again, I'm glad everything is ok
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

I'm glad everyone is OK.
    This stuff happens.

I'm glad nobody got hurt, most times it isn't a violent thing, I think it is a pack/pecking order thing.

I know what you are going through...we have (had, I should say, since Bandit is gone) three male dogs and doggie skirmishes were not unusual. After trial and error, we made the decision to not allow them to have things like rawhides, pigs ears and bones. They caused to many spats. We still gave them treats like meaty bones that can be eaten quickly and given to each dog seperately, but treats that took a long time to eat were no good.

We gave each dog a designated spot to be in when it was treat time - Bandit on the sleeping pads, Rocky in the window seat, and Gandy outside (he liked eating his treats in private - he takes them up on the hill in his mouth and eats them where no one can watch him) and they weren't allowed to leave the area until everyone was done with his treat.

But I know how scary that is when the dogs get into arguments. Only twice did they result in vet visits - once Bandit had a few stitches under his arm, and once Rocky had some stitches over his eye.

I got very good at reading the dogs' body language, and could usually tell if anyone was in the mood to start

something, and that gave me time to straighten things out before anything happened.

my dogs fight pretty often, obviously they get in trouble for it lol but they enjoy fighting so it does not really stop them from doing it again they are however getting better, Misty has started breaking up fights instead of starting them, latly there have been plenty of fights but this we were expecting, the dominance wars lol Blair is very dominant but now old enugh to try to work his way up the ladder, Misty has been putting a stop to that rather quickley lol I think she is better at this then we are, she seems to know exactly which dog started it, when we dont, and its that dog that gets the scolding. since Misty has started her policing we have had no fights in some time now, well unless you count saterday when misty and blair were tired and being grumps after the tourny(they went after happy, cut up just inside her ear a little poor baby) I dunno I guess I am just so used to dogs fighting that a little scuffle does not really bother me, but I must admit having misty policing as opposed to starting fights, is SOOO much nicer! you dont wanna know what it was like in here when shadow still lived here, the poor dog was being mauled every single time she came into veiw, the others even hunted her down just to fight, it was horrable, thats why we had to get her out of here
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

I'm glad everyone is ok!

I know how that is, as Piddle is always growling and snapping at Jasper, Jasper can't come too close to him, or touch him!

I bet it had something to do with Nala not feeling well also.

I doubt it will ever happen again, especially after you work with them

RIP Jasper. I can't believe you're gone.
    RIP Tigger...I miss you every single day.
    Piddle Jasper Wiggles Emma Tucker Almond Pecan
    RB Furbabies:
    Tigger Ace

RIP Angus, I miss you!

I'm glad everyones is okay!

Glad to hear things are OKAY! It happens.. I hope Nala feels better soon!
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

Glad everyone is ok, Things like that happen. I have heard its pretty common with same sex rivarly.
    Fingers Crossed the problem is solved.
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

I'm glad everyone is OK and I am sure you handled it beautifully. These things do happen unfortunately. It could be that Nala just wanted to make sure that Kiara respects her as a pack member just wants that understood now. Maybe she realizes she is going to grow and grow and grow.

My last two poodles (Ashley and Whitney now at the RB) had to be separated for meals because Ashley had growled at Whitney once while they were eating side by side. Not wanting to have that happen again or escalate into something more I began separating them for meals. I am really fortunate now because there have never been any conflicts of any kind between Bella and Ripley. They even eat out of the same bowl often. Bella is a softie and would let the little guy walk all over her if he had a mind to. I often wonder who is Alpha. I don't think either of them is.

Now when Dale comes over Ripley is Alpha over Dale. He shows Dale his teeth when he is sitting on my lap and Dale backs up. But that's another whole story. LOL!

Glad to hear everyone is alright.

Everytime to have multiple dogs together, whether they live together or at a dog park, at some point, this is bound to happen. LIke little kids, they don't feel well, or have had enough and get into a fight. It is horrible to watch sometimes, but the bottom line isn't that it did happen...it is trying to learn what may tigger it and do your best to avoid those situations. It sounds like you have a few ideas and are trying to work on it.

It is possible that as Kiara gets a little older, Nala may feel they need to establish herself as the top female. Once they figure it, I'm sure they will get along fine.

Kay, don't feel badly. Every "argument" in this house (between dogs) has been over food or bones, usually bones. Lilly and Murphy are extremely possessive of theirs and God forbid that one of the others come near them when they're working on them. You'll know how to handle it better next time. I'm glad everyone is ok.

Logan

PS. Hope you're feeling better today too.