Thread: She's suspicious of "some" strangers during our walks

She's suspicious of "some" strangers during our walks

My dog, a 2 y.o., 50 lb. shepherd mix, sometimes lunges and growls at passing people while I walk her on the leash. The thing is that she ONLY does this to people approaching us whom I can tell are afraid of dogs, in other words they see us coming and they move way over on the sidewalk. Is Kona lunging because she can sense their fear and thus that makes her afraid/defensive or does she become suspicious of them because I suddenly reel her in closer to me?

She has never bitten a person and, other than these instances, is a sweetheart to everyone. We got her from the shelter when she was 2 mos. old and has lived like a queen ever since so I can't really attribute it to anything negative in her past.

I guess I'm not really looking for advice her (unless you have some!), just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if you think my theory of her sensing their fear is correct.

Thanks!

wELLL FROM WHAT i UNDERSTAND,,, i BET SHE IS REACTING TO YOU PULLING HER BACK EVEN BEFORE THE PEOPLE ARE CLOSE,, SHE SENSES THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE PEOPLE BECAUSE YOURE PULLING HER BACK.... WHICH OF COURSE AUTOMATICALLY MAKES HER WANT TO GET NEARER... BUT NOT IN A NICE WAY,,, BUT TO PERHAPS DEFEND HER AREA AND YOU?

SPEAK TO A BEHAVIOURIST OR OBEDIENCE TRAINER TO GET THE PROPER TRAINING TO CORRECT THIS WITHOUT ANY INCIDENTS,,, i AM WILLING TO BET YOUR BABY IS NOT A BAD GIRL,, IN ANY WAY,,,

Oh shoot,, sorry,, I just saw I was in caps........

Are you anticipating it and doing something different before she lunges (ie: Keeping the leash tight)?

My Kaedyn lunges at people. I think it's fear related. If he was off leash, he wouldn't lunge but on leash, he's a naughty boy. He tends to lunge at large intimidating people (mostly men). It's too early to say if it's working but what I've recently started doing is taking treats with us during walks. I'd make him sit/down/come often. He pays much more attention to me during walks this way. He also gets rewarded for passing (and ignoring) any person. I want him to think of people as an opportunity to be rewarded, not corrected (what I stupidly did before). I'm not sure what else to suggest though.. a trainer/behaviorist would be a wise investment.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

actually I do keep the leash a bit tighter if someone is about to pass us. I do that as a precaution and as a courtesy to the other person who might not want a dog sniffing their hand as they pass. She only reacts poorly to certain people which is strange.

That's a good idea about the treats! Thanks.

Originally posted by binka_nugget
    what I've recently started doing is taking treats with us during walks. I'd make him sit/down/come often. He pays much more attention to me during walks this way. He also gets rewarded for passing (and ignoring) any person. I want him to think of people as an opportunity to be rewarded, not corrected (what I stupidly did before). .
    I agree about using the treats,trying to keep her mind off the people are just rewarded for not barking at them.I'll keep you posted if I have any other suggestions. Good luck!

~ Highschool rox ur socks!! Highschool is so amazing and I love it. Hi to everyone on Pet Talk, I know I have not been on for a while, I'm just busy. All of you here that I know rock! Keep up being friendly, posting on Pet Talk and havin fun. Buddy sends kisses. ~