Thread: Separation anxiety

I don't even begin to know where I'm "from"

Separation anxiety

Muffin's separation anxiety seems to be getting worse. She used our blankets as her backyard while we were away doing the paper route . Is crate training the best way to deal with this? Is it normal for her to be getting worse now? Is there anything else we can do along side crate training? Any tips on crate training?

Whatever you do, don't give in to her whining. I've never dealt with seperation anxiety but here's what I've heard from someone else:

Put the dog in the crate at random times through out the day. Just keep the dog in there for a couple minutes while it can still see you walking around the room and such.

Move on from a couple minutes to 5 minutes, then 10, etc.

Then go back to a couple minutes while you are out of the room. Then move on to 5 minutes, 10 minutes, etc.

When you leave the house, don't make a big deal. Same goes for when you come back. When I come home, I ignore the dogs for about 5 minutes. This way, the dog sees leaving and going as another small insignificant detail.

Edit: Forgot to add something.. never let the dog out while it's whining. Wait until it's calm and being good before you take it out.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Breeze has sepration anxiety and crate training HELP SO MUCH.

What I did was I basicly crate trained her after she wascrate trained.

She asociated the Kennel with me leaving. So what I would do was when I was watching T.V. put her in there. She ate ALL her meals in there. I would give her treats in there. If I was training one of the other dog's I would put her in there.

The next step after she was quite while I was in the room was to put her in there and go to the bathroom. This would teach her I would leave, but come back in a moment, so it no longer meant that I was leaving. So she no longer whinned and no longer destroys things. All of Breeze's sepration anxiety has disapeared because of this. ALSO, ONe BIG thing to remember is to NOT greet the dog for 10 mins after you are home. It's hard, I know, BUT, it will help them, ALOT.

If you aren't willing to crate train maybe you should change up your routine in the morning. Put on your shoes first and such. Then when you leave don't say goodbye just walk out trhe door. Alos, something you might want to try is leaving the house for like 2 mins at a time and then coming back. It might help.

Good luck,
    Ashley
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

Thanks guys, great ideas!

Do what binka_nugget said.

My friend's new doggie had the same proble as urs if not worse.

Holly would potty EVERYWHERE & destroy the house if left alone.
    I told Alex about the crate thing & he used his closed off balcony as a crate. with in 3 months, there were no more accidents & she stopped destroying the house.

SO it does take time, but it does have wonderfull results. & also a crate is like a dog den aswell. When ur doggie is out of the crate, leave it opened! Ur dog will see it as a place to get away from people or a place to go if scared. If shes in the crate on her own, leave her alone.

Thats the rule we had for RB Max, when he did fit in his crate. Oh he'll get to be about 20-30 pounds. 80 pounds later

Originally posted by binka_nugget
    Whatever you do, don't give in to her whining. I've never dealt with seperation anxiety but here's what I've heard from someone else:

Put the dog in the crate at random times through out the day. Just keep the dog in there for a couple minutes while it can still see you walking around the room and such.

Move on from a couple minutes to 5 minutes, then 10, etc.

Then go back to a couple minutes while you are out of the room. Then move on to 5 minutes, 10 minutes, etc.

When you leave the house, don't make a big deal. Same goes for when you come back. When I come home, I ignore the dogs for about 5 minutes. This way, the dog sees leaving and going as another small insignificant detail.

Edit: Forgot to add something.. never let the dog out while it's whining. Wait until it's calm and being good before you take it out.

EXCELLENT advice,,, we did that too.. it works!!!!

We bought a crate and it's slow going now, but I hope we get a handle on this!
    Doing my part to save BBD's, one dog at a time!

hang in there,, above all,, be consistant,,, dont give in to the cries of displaeasure at first of the crate,,, that normal..... just sit where they can see you and ignore them..... they will calm down..

Just NEVER EVER use the crate as a punishment.....