Thread: Goldie update..long

Goldie update..long

I took Goldie into the vet today to get her thyroid checked and an overall check-up. My vet doesn't think her thyroid is really the problem, but we did the blood tests anyway. Won't have the results until Wednesday as the sample has to be sent to Saskatchewan to be tested. She does need to loose some weight, which I already knew and have been working on.

Dr. Kim, who I completely trust, thinks that Goldie may be in pain. Her front legs are deformed--almost curved and I thought that would be the source of any pain for her. I was wrong! She showed no pain when he manipulated her front legs. Dr, Kim says she has amazing muscle development in her front quaters so the muscle may well be compensating for the bone and joint problem.

When he did her back left leg, no problems. He could pull it straight back, the joint moved easily and she didn't resist. With her right hip, she screamed when he got to about 60 degrees. Goldie doesn't scream, she's a pretty quiet dog. So either she has hip dysplasia or an old injury that was never treated properly. I don't know her history before she was brought to the shelter, but she had clearly been abused. An old injury wouldn't suprise me.

For treatment, she is going to have a massive dose of anti-inflammatories for a week. If she perks up and starts to move more, that will mean it's the pain in her hip that makes her less active. Then she can stay on some kind of pain relief on a long term basis. We didn't do x-rays today, but might in the near future.

Dr. Kim figures that regardless of why she hurts, she has adapted to it. She's likely been in pain for most of her life and just learned to live with it. She doesn't jump because she knows that would hurt, her gait is funny because it limits her pain. Goldie seems to be happy. She plays with some of the other dogs (she's fussy about her buddies), she eats well (a little too well), she sleeps fine, doesn't limp or favor that leg. She just does what she has to in order to limit the pain that the hip joint causes her.

I feel like a lousy owner for missing this for so long, but I can't respond to what they don't show me! I just had a long chat with Goldie (yes, I'm nuts) and told her that she has to tell me it hurts and then I can fix it!!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Glacier,,, you are NOT NOT NOT NOT a bad owner for not spotting it,,,, Many animals are masters at hiding discomforyts,,, look at it this way,, if it was more then she could handle,, I am positive she would have let you know!

but now that you do,, you can help her.... right?

Lets hope she can get on some good meds to make her and you more comfy!!

Oh poor Goldie. I'm sorry to hear that she's in pain and I hope you can find something to help treat it.

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Hey...lousy owner...I don't think so. Stop that kind of thinking right now! You are doing all that you can do. Its not like our pups actually talk to us and tell us the exact problem. I sure do wish they could.

I hope Goldie feels better and is in less pain real soon. Give her a hug from me. Keep us updated please.

Robin

Goldie couldn't hope for a more loving and caring mom than you, Glacier, so put THAT idea right out of your head. Dogs are so amazing in their abilityto adapt to and tolerate pain. Your Goldie is quite a girl Now, having had a thorough work up, hopefully Dr. Kim can prescribe a regimine that will help to ease the discomfort and help her to enjoy life even more. What a special girl...and a special mom!!! Please let us know what the test results say next week! Hugs to you Goldie
    Last edited by tatsxxx11; 08-29-2004 at 03:17 PM.

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

I am so sorry to hear about Goldie.
    I hope the vet can find out what is wrong and treat
    her.

Sending hugs to Goldie to get better and for
    the pain to go away.

----<---<--<{(@

The words "Bad Owner" and "Glacier" DO NOT belong in the same post!!!!

Never, cannot be, no way ..............

HUGS to you and Goldie. AND I am sure that now you have had a LONG chat to her about her telling you where it hurts - she will!!!
    M!
    "No dog is born either vicious or friendly, but rather a blank slate that is moulded, for better or worse, by the owner."