Thread: I need advice about a rescue

I need advice about a rescue

I know you all expect Saturday morning pictures but this time I have a problem.
    I know you all know about my ferals. I have two females that I need to trap but I knew they had babies somewhere so I had put it off. I had seen from a distance three tiny kittens but I had no idea which one was the mother. Finally she brought the kittens to my porch Thursday night and I saw them nursing. I did my usual squat by the food and waited for them to come close to the food so I could begin to handle them. I managed to pet two and planned to spend more time with them this weekend. Last night I tried that same thing and they wouldn't let me near them.
    One is a gorgous gray Lori! He/she has a dark charcoal head with silver in the body. This one is large and active. The second one is a little buff colored baby. Smaller and less active than the other and last night I could see it was limping on it's front leg. The third is another really cute little grey baby that is exceptionally tiny. It reminds me of Tabitha with those great big ears and eyes.
    Because of the size difference I can't tell how old they are but they are nibbling on some food. I went out looking for them last night and I couldn't believe what I found. The mamma cat was nursing them right in the middle of the street!!!!
    I planned on snatching the little ones this morning when they came to eat but naturally they are no where to be seen this morning!
    Does everyone agree that it is ok to take them from their mom now. I know they are eating some and I know they aren't all healthy. I hate to upset the mother by taking them but she is so young that I'm not sure she really knows what to do with them. This way I can hopefully trap her and get her fixed before the next batch.
    The other female has kittens somewhere too but I haven't seen them yet.
    I'm gone twelve to thirteen hours of the day at work. I have to help with my grandma and I'm getting overwhelmed here!!! I haven't been to the shelter for awhile because of all the hours I spend away from home and my brats need me some too. I called but no one has returned the call yet so I'm hoping they aren't mad at me.
    Maybe I just needed to vent because I know I have to get these babies in and take care of them. I don't know where I'm going to find the time and I don't want to take them to the shelter and let them get sick but what am I gonna do? I need to quit working!!!
    Ok, I feel better now.
    Is it veal baby food I need for the tiniest one?

Sorry for the ramble folks but I'm really overwhelmed here. I've got ten cats outside and more kittens coming. I think I'm going to TNR the adults because they will never get adopted from the shelter because they are wild. I don't want them to spend the rest of their lives in a cage. Any suggestions are welcome!
    A nerve pill maybe??!!

As long as the kittens are eating on their own, it should be OK to take from mom now. It's always best to get feral kittens at a young age to make it easier to socialize. Plus just the fact it will be much safer for them. Hopefully in the process of capturing the kittens you can also get the mom and have her fixed. We find it's easier to catch mom cat with kittens! Good luck and I know the over-whelming feeling. Believe me, it will end and be worth it once this stressful part is over with. You can PM me anytime if you have questions or need to vent.
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

OVERLOAD! KITTY OVERLOAD! That is what you are going through right now... It just get overwhelming don't it? Yes, you do need to catch those babies if you can but it sounds like they are elusive as the dickens so good luck!

I agree with you about them living in cages... I do not think they were created to live in cages and I have seen how it takes the spirit right out of some of their eyes. I HATE seeing them caged!

I don't see how you do all you do! Take a deep breath and a long hot soak, pamper yourself for awhile.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Thanks guys! You all know that I already knew the answers to those questions didn't you? I guess I just needed to vent and have some validation. Now that I'm ready for the kittens I can't find them anywhere. Hopefully momma will bring them along soon to eat. She's usually here first thing in the morning but of course not today.
    The part I left out is that hubby had to bury one this morning that we picked up off the street last night. It was an older stray but still young. It broke my heart!
    I just need time and resources!!! Hopefully I can get in touch with someone at the shelter today and get vet care for the little ones if I catch them. I'm also hoping they have fosters available but I'm sure that would be asking for way to much!!!
    If God wants me to do this then why doesn't he give me more time? I would love to spend my life caring for these babies.

I know how you feel. At times you just feel hopeless. You can use the kittens as bait to catch the mom! We have detailed instructions on how to do this if you need them. Keep us updated!
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

All,you acn do is to talk softly ,to them,and bring them food,and eventuallythey will learn,to trust you! Bless You,and The Found Carts,will include those two Babies,in thier Prayers!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Sorry I don't have any helpful advice for you but I just wanted to know I think the fact that you are helping them is great. You've got my cyber support for whatever it's worth.

Oh, and yes, you sparked my interest with the comment about the gray kitten. He sounds gorgeous!

From Decker with Love

(((HUGS))) Lisa ..... I do agree that it is time to get those babies inside with you ASAP! Feeding them in the road? Poor mama is probably so terribly confused right now ... I think she could use the break!

I know just how you feel with the overwhelming feelings, and lack of resources ... but like you I figure that God put them in my path rather than someone elses for a reason!

Kim
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Kim & Lisa,
    With all the cats you two have you must think I'm nuts complaining about mine! With my ten inside and the current head count outside being another 10 and kittens somewhere that I haven't seen yet I don't really know how many I have!!

I just get so frustrated because I would really like for this to be my life's work but I don't have the time. I am angry every single day that I walk outside and feed all of them and know that I only have a minute or two to spend with them before I have to go to work. It's the same in the evenings too. I'm feeding the porch kitties and my inside crew is scratching at the door and windows because I just got home and I'm not with them. The shelter is in dire need of help and I want to be there too.
    I'm just frustrated and angry that I can't do the things that I want to do because so much time is being spent at a job that I don't particularily like. I've looked for work closer to home but that hasn't panned out anything either.

I'm just frustrated and I know it will pass.

Thanks everyone for their support. I do appreciate it. As soon as I catch the little ones I'll be sure to post pictures.

Originally posted by catcrazylady
    The part I left out is that hubby had to bury one this morning that we picked up off the street last night. It was an older stray but still young. It broke my heart!
    Oh no... Poor thing. How sad for you & hubby to have to bury one.

Your house must have one of those signs - you know, the ones only cats can read that says, "Animal lover lives here!!" I don't have any expereince with trapping, rescuing etc. But I can offer you a big internet {{{{hug}}}}! I think TNR-ing the adults sounds like it could be the best thing you can do for them. Better to let them living outdoors, even if it's risky (as it is for all animals), than have them living out their lives in a cage.

They make veal baby food? I had no idea there was baby food made from meat. Is this human baby or cat baby food? Sorry I'm dumb!!!

It's wonderful what you're doing for these babies. So many people just wouldn't care, or would look the other way. Good luck catching them.

Originally posted by catcrazylady
    Kim & Lisa,
    With all the cats you two have you must think I'm nuts complaining about mine!

Not at all! Rescuing is very frustrating at times, no matter if you're dealing with a dozen, or 2 (like the elusive kittens).

I am angry every single day that I walk outside and feed all of them and know that I only have a minute or two to spend with them before I have to go to work.
    I know, we feel this every night we have to drive away from the 30-40 ferals at the park. Even though we've done everything possible by fixing, feeding, etc. it hurts to leave them behind and know they will never experience the love that tame cats do. We wish we had property that we could just bring them home with us! Hang in there, this frustration will pass and the rewarding feelings will take over! We go through this too, and it does help to vent, especially to those that understand. Remember what you've said to me when I've been dealing with these frustrations!

Thanks Lisa and yes I've been telling myself to practice what I preach! It sure is easier to dole out the encouragment and advice than it is to take it though!!

I have caught two of the little ones and they are in another thread. Be sure to check them out and offer any advice. I'm listening to the experts.