Thread: seizures...

seizures...

I MAY HAVE POSTED THIS 2 X IF SO SORRY

I just read a post about a dog that had a seizure i was about to respond when the next post said the dog had past away! im so sorry for her loss! and this makes me nervous since i adopted a SIberian husky about a year and 1/2 ago who was also very sick when i got him since we have adopted him he has had bout 3 seizures they come out of the blue he gets real tense he cant get his mouth open and he slides back wards on the floor and drools very bad ( sounds kinda like what the other woman said) ANYHOW i have spoken to the DR and she said it seemed like nothing and i shouldnt worry...what do you guys think? does anyones elses dog have this

THANK YOU WOLF_Q!!

I don't know anything about seizures but what dog are you talking about?

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Originally posted by anna_66
    I don't know anything about seizures but what dog are you talking about?
    I dot remmeber reading that post? Witch dog ARE you talking about?

Get a second opinion--seizures are never nothing to worry about. Epilepsy is extremely common among huskies. It's treatable and controllable for most dogs.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

my dog has epilepsy

alex the wonder dog has epilepsy, and has had it for 7 1/2 years. he has a good life. however your vet is wrong, seizures can be a big deal, maybe you might consider seeing another vet with more experience with epilepsy then yours has. some dogs have infrequent seizures, getting them on the best quality food helps , some dogs need medicines, as mine does, some dogs do die from the effects of the seizures. there are several web sites that can help you learn about canine epilepsy. www.canine-epilepsy.com, www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com, please join us, there is support and knowledge there. you can pm me if you'd like more info. regards, joyce
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

THIS IS PART OF TE ORIGINAL POST
    quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Joannie
    I see its been awhile since your post hope everything is ok. It sounds as if your dog has petit mal seizures, in other words small seizures, but none the less frightening. One of my doxies is on medication for seizures, he had a grand mal seizure, in other words a big seizure, and his would not stop, they can be life threatening. He takes phenobarbitol 2x a day, his meds cost 10 dollars for a months supply. One of my other doxies also has seizures, but his are only a couple of times a year, so it can vary, just like with people. Please let us know how your dog is, ok? Joannie and Bailey[diabetes]Patches[seizures and back surgery]and Beaner[seizures and prostate surgery]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thanks but cosmo had a huge major seisure the night before we could meet him and died....

We are now adopting another dog from the same family only she doesnt have ep... but she is partially blind....

THANK YOU WOLF_Q!!

I don't remember that post but my Snoopy started having seizures about two weeks ago. His started like your dog's but progressed to a grand mal one where he lost all control of the functions of his body. I was never so scared in my life! I thought he was dying before my eyes. As I looked back over the day before he had the big one, he had little seizures too. He is now on Phenibarbital and probably will be the rest of his life.

The vet says some dogs do have a tendency to seizures and if their owners can handle seeing them and they aren't frequent - more than once a month - or severe - they often don't do anything for them. However if they start to cluster, happen more often or last a long time - it is time to get them on medicine. They did a blood test on Snoopy to determine if they was any other cause. If you are concerned, you might ask your vet to do a blood test. From what others have told me, thyroid problems can also cause seizures. You might want to check that out with your vet too.

"That they may have a little peace, even the best
    dogs are compelled to snarl occasionally."
    --William Feather

My lab, josie has eplilepsy. She's been taking meds and has been fine since..

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)