Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Petition to help cats in China

From what I've read on the Internet, China has a horrible animal rights ethic. I don't know if anyone here has read about the bear bile farms. DON'T read about it if you don't know what it is. It is very upsetting, I couldn't sleep for nights after that. To reiterate my point, I do think that petitions should be signed concerning the treatment of ANY animal around the world but it is presumptuous and, for lack of better word, imperialist to try and dictate what animals other countries should eat just because it is unacceptable in our "western" countries and religions.(Israel, in some aspects, can be considered a western country)
    Does any one think a difference should be made between farmed animals raised by man and wild animals. Sometimes when I think about a huge tuna, who survived all the difficulties of life in the ocean to grow to his great size, all on his own, and then is plucked from the sea by man with minimal effort, and I think that is unfair. We wouldn't like to eat other wild animals, or am I way off on this. By the way, I do eat tuna and other fish, farmed and not farmed.
    I am just pondering.

Someone where I work told me that there are Chinese food restaurants in my very city where they serve dogs and cats for dinner; they just don't put it on the menu. Unfortunately the slightest bit of protest and you are accused of being racist, or a cultural supremisist. I don't like ANYONE who is mean to animals. ANY animal. I can't even kill a spider, although I am deadly terrified of them.

------------------
    Personal servant for Pesto
    http://www.angelfire.com/80s/pestoswitzer/main.html
    http://www.angelfire.com/pq/coolcatclub/main.html

China has such a deplorable human rights record, why would we expect them to treat their animals better than their citizens? Sign that petition if you feel so moved!

Cows or no cows, culture or no culture. It is plainly sick, to torture any animal in the manner described in the original post of this topic. I do beleive cows aren't treated too well here. Why can't they atleast treat the cows with respect before they die, not herd them into little cells and such. I am a meat eater myself but I do not condone any cruel and unnessesary punishment to animals. There is a right way and a wrong way to do it.

------------------

Igor Inc. (c)2001

There are many good toughts in all these posts!
    First of all, I'd like to make clear again that it isn't the fact that the Chinese are eating the cats (because I don't want to rank animals hierarchally), it's more the way they are treated and tortured. This is what I find more than disgusting, it just shouldn't happen!
    BTW, if I'd known about this petition page earlier I would have also started one against the killing of 40.000 cows in Germany this year during the BSE-crisis.

There was a post about where to draw the line when you're vegetarian and I know this dilemma very well. Personally I have the policy to abstain from animal products as far as my health isn't endangered. This means that I don't eat meat and fish, but eggs and milk (because I think pure veganism isn't very good). I'm not buying leather products - except shoes (you can't do without leather shoes in a rainy country like Germany). When I know that a company produces cosmetics without animal testing, I'm buying their products. I'm making a few exceptions: When I'm buying medicine, I know that it's animal tested , I'm also buying products containing gelatine. And of course I'm buying cat food for Luna!

However, I know that this subject might be very controversal and I thought about it before I started the petition, but I felt it would have been wrong not to do so...

BTW, I've also signed the petition about the St. Bernhard dogs...

Kirsten

------------------

www.lunas-little-world.de.vu
    www.cats-in-the-net.de.vu
    www.pet-cemetery.de.vu

While we're on the topic......

BSE: The slaughter is stomach churning, but nessasary. What was not nessasary was the root of it all. The animals contracted the disease through mans greed for money
    How? by feeding the animals (herbivores!!) there own species back to them in ground bone meal! Why do this? faster weight gain, less waste, cheaper!..... well obviously it wasn't! Not only Germany was affected: Britain, Ireland, Italy, alot of Europe had/ has cases! Not all farmers used these feeding practises, some were "caught" by buying in infected stock unknowingly, and sometimes internationally. It is a sad state of affairs.

Foot & Mouth: Disease happens, ok I have to accept this, but it's the handling of the situation that got me. Thank God, we didn't get more than one case in the Republic. But I have to say it was hard to take seeing the tipper truck in Britain offloading the many carcises. I cried. I also cried when seeing a report on BBC of a flock of sheep being targets for the people(Army) supposed to be putting them to sleep humanly in Wales! The BBC showed an amateur video of this, and what got me was one particular ewe wasn't killed first time, had to be caught, wrestled and then shot again, while her lamb was frantically jumping around her. Who ever "he" was he needs help! Here we go on the cruelty thing again. So I must say: I just done see the"why?" of it.

Spencer, nice quote! Very apt, very brilliant.....very true!

Gina, the image of the sheep makes me feel sick to my stomach. The poor little lamb, the poor mother sheep who didn't do anything to deserve such cruelness. I imagine the poor lamb and how he must have felt and it makes me cry.

------------------
    Personal servant for Pesto
    http://www.angelfire.com/80s/pestoswitzer/main.html
    http://www.angelfire.com/pq/coolcatclub/main.html

This is horrible, cruel, disgusting, mean, I could go on and on! It makes me furious that people would do such horrid things! ! !! !!! All this is making me sick to my stomach. Kirsten, I linked to the petition, signed it, and even signed in Boogie's name! I hope this stops!!!!!!
    -Mary

That's an interesting point you've made, Spencer...

Mary, I've seen you also signing in Boogie's name, that was sweet! And thanks for putting the banner to your website!

Kirsten

------------------

www.pet-cemetery.de.vu

I'm curious, the people who don't eat meat for moral reasons: since it is not unnatural for man to eat meat, yet you eschew it, how do you reconcile feeding it to your cat?

I agree, that's another dilemma when you're going vege, but cats (unlike humans) are carnivores, so I'm feeding her meat.

Kirsten

------------------

www.pet-cemetery.de.vu

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SpencerTheLion:
    [B]...this is sort of related (treatment of animals), and controversial for sure (twice).

When a pet is euthanized, don't they just give it a single overdose of barbituates? Hope someone knows.

His Spence! I know that over here, when a cat or dog is put asleep, they are injected with and overdose of the normal anesthetic given to animals prior to surgery. So, as explained to me; the pet goes to sleep...but then never wakes up. I've seen it happen. It was distressing for me, and the animal was worried before being injected. Once injected, I have to say, it seems very peaceful, and painless, and surprisingly fast acting.

Kirsten,
    I could also sign Samson's name if you want. I personally DO eat meat, but I sort of feel bad doing it. The only thing is, I'd STARVE if I didn't have meat!
    -Mary

[This message has been edited by Meow101 (edited May 20, 2001).]

I have just read all of this and although I strongly disagree with what China is doing, I have to agree with the one who stated that it is a cultural thing and these animals are not endangered species. Coming from the south and having eaten beef,pork and chickens and turkeys all my life, I am hooked, although I eat in moderation. I DO NOT agree with the practice of DEER HUNTING that is so popular in my area because although the hunters eat the meat, they do not have to depend on deer meat to survive as our ancestors did. On the other hand, they can say they do it for population control. Maybe that is what the Chinese are doing.
    Now, some of you are going to hate me for this but down here on the coast of South Carolina, we do make the practice of eating crabs and lobsters. We do boil them while they are still alive, but that is because you can not eat crestacians once they are dead. They spoil fast. So, I am a crab killer but the meat is soooo good!! And I don't think you can really get very close to sea creatures, they don't make very good pets.
    However, Ben E Gas, you probably know that they do eat turtles in the carribean.(and even here in SC, but I would not!)
    People eat iguanas in Central America and they are pets here in the US. In Australia they eat Kangaroo and Ostrich.
    So, it really is a regional, social thing.
    We should not be condemning others for their actions because we ourselves do things that are not "kosher" to others!!!

Thank you Spencer for pointing out that just because something is a 'cultural thing', does not make it the right thing to do, and definately not the compassionate thing. It is too easy to say that a particular practice is acceptable due to cultural beliefs. I live in Washington state where there is controversy every year about whale-hunting/killing, and hear the subject debated often. Initially I thought that maybe based on cultural beliefs it should be allowed. I have since changed my opinion completely. I hope that I don't offend anyone by bringing up the whole whale debate. Maybe outside of Wash. it is not talked about much, but if you live here, it has for years been a very touchy subject for most people, with everyone taking a strong stance one way or another. Well now I am going-on too much, but my point is just what Spencer has already said.