Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update on Disney's vet visit

Update on Disney's vet visit

She did really good despite having a long wait. Poor girl shook the whole time and now she is absolutely exhausted.

On to the diagnosis. She has arthritis especially in her back hips and joints and has had some muscle loss in her hind legs. He said her knee cap is sliding over too, probably from the inflamation. Also, I described some odd incindents with her lately like walking into things, just standing there looking confused or in a daze, going to the wrong side of the door opening, screaming in pain for no reason when I touch her (as if scared) and the vet says it sounds like canine cognitive dysfunction. The closest example is Alzheimer's in humans but it's not exactly like it. He also said her lens on her eyes have thickened quite a bit so she probably has a vision problem in low light.

He put her on an arthritis med for two weeks to see if it helps. He said she may be in so much pain that it could be causing the confusion. If the meds help the pain but the mental problems stay then there is a medicine for that too. I really hate to start pilling her up for mental confusion problems, I'm already going through that enough with my Dad.

He said she has several things going on and although they are attributed to old age they can be treated somewhat. I guess this is kind of the beginning of the downhill ride. When my RB Pepper started having problems he only last four months because he deteriorated so quickly. I know it is different with Diz and she could live for years but I still feel that heavy hearted feeling just knowing it has begun.

Thanks for all the prayers, good thoughts and vibes!

From Decker with Love

Oh dont take a negative thought on this,,, perhaps with the new meds and all ol disney will bounce back and be happy again..... you never know,,, just think positive!!!!!!

thanks for the update

Thank you for the update.

I hope the arthritis meds work, (I think it will help).
    The arthritis med helps for my senior Sheba.

----<---<--<{(@

Oh Lori, try the meds for the CCD if the arthritis meds don't help. It should really help. We used them for RB Aneko and it really gave her good quality of life for a bit longer. For many dogs it can make a huge difference.

We saw little or no side effects when she started taking the Anipryl, and she stopped staring at the shed and the wall and remembered how to go in and out.

I hope Disney feels better soon.

It's so hard to watch our furbabies getting up in years. But just like us humans, sometimes they need a little help and sometimes medication, to makes them more comfortable, their lives happier and healthier. Sounds like you have a good vet there, one you and Disney can have confidence in. The arthritis medic. should help a good deal and I know of several doggies that have been helped a lot by Anipryl, too. Take it a day at a time and try to think positive. Disney, you had a big day sweetheart and were such a good patient I'll bet you're pooped! We're all so proud of you Sleep well tonight precious baby girl.

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Sorry to hear about Disney's problems. Hope you can find ways for her to feel better. I know you probably said in past threads but how old is Disney?

"That they may have a little peace, even the best
    dogs are compelled to snarl occasionally."
    --William Feather

{{{HUGS}}}} I can't imagine how I'll feel the day I return from the vets like that. I know you'll find the best way to help her feel comfortable and clear headed.

Originally posted by 4 Dog Mother
    Sorry to hear about Disney's problems. Hope you can find ways for her to feel better. I know you probably said in past threads but how old is Disney?
    Disney is 12+ years old. We aren't sure because the shelter had to guess her age when we adopted her. They thought she was a year old but my vet thinks she may be older. All I know is at least 12 1/2 years old.

Actually she is acting like she feels a little better tonight. She went out and wandered all over the yard for about 5-10 minutes which is an improvement. She probably spends 22-23 hours a day sleeping, or at least it seems that way.

From Decker with Love

It's always difficult to see our pets age. I'll be praying for many many more happy years.

Thank you Wolfie!

I will be praying for Disney to stay happy and healthy!
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

oh no.. i'll keep disney in my prayers

I hope the medication will help with her pain issues. We have had some similar issues with our Lab, Murphy, and a couple of months ago, I really thought she was ready to "go". Murphy is 14 1/2. We tried Anipryl for a couple of weeks, but saw no significant difference in her behavior and didn't choose to up the dosage to see it would help. It is a very expensive medication, but Disney probably wouldn't need nearly as high of a dose since she's such a petite lady.

I hope and pray that you will see great improvement over the next two weeks!!!

I pray the meds help Disney and I pray that you have many more healthy years with the her!!!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

I really do hope you find the right medication for her arthritis, I know how bad they can hurt (going through this with Angus too).
    I get so upset that he's going to be leaving us soon, but then I realize he's here now. Enjoy being with him and don't worry so much about the future

Hugs and kisses to Disney!

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Re: Update on Disney's vet visit

Originally posted by jazzcat
    I still feel that heavy hearted feeling just knowing it has begun.

Thanks for all the prayers, good thoughts and vibes!

This is the hard part of loving a pet. Their lives are far too short and the problems of age begin way too early. I hope that Disney will start to respond her meds and you will soon be seeing some improvement.

My RB dog, Pumpkin, was a toy poodle and he lived the longest of all of my dogs. He was 17 when we helped him along to the Rainbow Bridge. He had become almost blind from cataracts, had lost his hearing and quite a few teeth . The hardest part was when he became incontinent in the house. He just couldn't hold his urine any more for longer than a few hours and it got worse and worse. I know he couldn't help himself and so we made that decision. I hope you still have many more years with Disney. I have enjoyed your recent pictures of her and hope that you have the opportunity to post many more in the future! (((hugs to you and Disney)))