Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: weird taste!:rolleyes:

weird taste!:rolleyes:

have you noticed if your cat fancies human food, unusual to a cat?!

I thought it might be interesting to compare. For instance, with out exception, my seven cats love carrot cake, and bolognese! Puca(pro;Pookah) loves toast, Willow loves banana, Candi loves malteesers! ofcourse they don't get fed these things, but they more or less beat us up for some, when we have them! How about you? Gina!

I once had a cat that loved olives, I assume for the salt. One of my current cats loves saltines, again probably for the salt. One cat liked raisins of all things, and my brother had a cat years ago that was crazy for McDonald's hash browns. I have heard of cats that eat pumpkin and cantaloupe, too. One of the strangest things, though, was a cat that ate rubber bands. I tried to keep them away from him because I was afraid it might be dangerous for him to eat them, but he still occasionally found them. My sister's cat likes italian salad dressing. There's no accounting for a cat's taste! !

Pieper loves saltines and sunflower seeds...guess she likes the salt too! And she tries to steel cinnamon grahams...she just licks all the sugar and cinnamon off and leaves this soggy cracker for the next unsuspecting human! Our Charlie loves bananas, cantalope and tapioca pudding...do they get this stuff? No, but occasionally they get to clean out the tuna can

------------------
    If a cat spoke, it would say things like, "Hey, I don't see a problem here!"

I have created a monster. My orange tabby loves yogurt. I let him have some of mine in the past and now I can't eat it in peace. He will follow me all over the house meowing until I give him his taste.

One morning a few years ago I came downstairs and noticed that my dogs were standing in the dining room staring at him. As I came closer I noticed he had a cream donut in his mouth. He had gotten up on the counter during the night and nudged open the Dunkin Donut box and jumped down on the floor to eat it. The dogs were just waiting for him to drop it and he had no intention of doing that. They were at an impasse. It was so comical watching two dogs stare at a cat with a cream donut in his mouth!

That is SO funny, Pam, about your cat and the donut and the dogs! Ha! I would have loved to have witnessed that scene!

By the way, my cat Saima is pretty normal when it comes to food. No weird tastes! I just had to comment on Pam's donut story...

One of my moms cats, her male named Mewton (Muttie, Mew Mew, Mutt, Tubbie, Mootaloop, Fatty Cake, Mutton.....I think that cat has close to 50 names!!) used to LOVE avacado PEELS! He was a stray before she adopted him from the local shealter so perhaps he got a taste for strange things so he could stay alive. We happened to drop a slice of avacado peel on the floor and he ran up to it, grabbed it, and started growling and drooling with his "prize". He is not the type of cat that will just growl...he's about as mean as a sack of potatoes, but he was sure defending his avacodo peel. He ate it all up and wanted more.

The cat I grew up with used to love to chew on the toilet brush. We could not keep him off it!

All of these stories are so funny to read! I have six cats and five of them have favourite human foods that they prefer (of course, it's not a regular routine that they get human food, just a treat once in a while). Well, my youngest Whiskey just LOVES green peppers. She also likes mushrooms, broccoli, onions, carrots, peas and alot of other veggies. She'll sit there in front of me until I throw her something and then she'll chase it. She loves to chase her food (maybe that's why she's so thin) lol..Then my other cat Kally LOVES cotton candy. I'll give her a little piece and while she's eating it her tongue comes out of her mouth atleast 2 inches (it gets stuck!) It is truly the funniest thing to see. Shadow LOVES chocolate pudding and donuts. By the way, Shadow is a BIG boy. He does not need any more junk food but my mother and sister insisted on feeding him donuts and that is how he became so LARGE. Simba LOVES macaroni and cheese. I guess it wouldn't be so bad if he wasn't lactose intolerant, but everytime he gets a hold of cheese he has the runs for days after which is not funny lol. Next would have to be B Girl. She has a fetish with Halls throat drops. As soon as she hears the wrapper crinkle, she is right there at your side. She also likes strong smelling things like muscle rub medication (rub a535) and icy hot. She loves to smell everything! Patches is the sixth cat but she doesn't eat human food, she's extremely picky and prefers her own food. Well, those are just a few weird foods that my cats like and I'm sure there are lots more. As for now, I can hear one of the strays outside the window looking for attention so I must tend to him..lol Talk to you later..

Hi Everyone! great to see you all! Wow! your stories here crack me up ! I got a great laugh! keep 'em comin'! if anyone new comes in do tell of you fuzzy pal! I love reading about everyones pets, makes me feel like I'm not alone with my babies antics !....>^..^< !

Seeing Sarah's stories of her cats reminded me of a cat my family had when I was a teenager - she loved anything mint or with menthol or camphor in it. She would steal my doublemint gum and chew it, package and all. If I left my tube of blistex around it would mean disaster because if she ever found it, it would be useless with all the toothholes she would punch into it. My brother would put bengay on his legs after working out and she would lick it off. I've had a few cats everynow and then that would like to smell my breath if I was chewing gum or would sniff at my lips after I put mentholatum on them, but none ever approached Ginger in her mint fetishness.

Also, I think it's funny how so many pet lovers attach so many "pet names" (pun intended ) to their animals. I, too, have a large cat who frequently gets called Tubbie (even though his "given name" is Big Mac), and I once had another large cat I would sometimes call Fattycake even though his real name was Zebo. I could write a book with all the cats I've had over the years (even the fosters got named) and all the names, and nicknames, and nicknames of nicknames they all had!

Just a reminder to all of us that we should occasionally review lists of the foods that are toxic to cats. It can be hard to remember, at the moment a kitty is just begging for a taste of our dinner, that there are some foods they should not have. One toxic foods mentioned in the thread is onions, for instance.

These "weird cat" stories are hilarious!!
    Mimi, our 11 year old cat, goes nuts over the smell of decongestants like Mentholatum or Vick's Vapor Rub. She's not much on food, just thrives on Fancy Feast and Purina Kitten Chow, and the occasional egg or shrimp tail! But, when she smells any kind of menthol, she goes nuts and wants to lick your lips off!
    But, the Doughnut story reminded me of my previous cat, Shrimp Boat. I found her at a seafood market in NC. She had been riding on the shrimpboat for a week. Someone had dumped her off at the seafood market and they just took her in. She was in Heaven with all the seafood selections to eat. When I stopped there to pick up some fresh seafood before returning home from vacation, there she was, eating a JELLY DOUGHNUT!!! I had her for about 6 years before we had a tragic loss (long, sad story). I have such wonderful memories of her love for any type of food! She stuck to quite a schedule for eating as I guess she had been deprived at one time. Just talking about her has made me miss her again.

One of my cats,Bushes,loves human food. Cheese (especially havarti, cheddar and chevre), chicken, steak (filet mignon, of course), venison sausage, corn, peas, mashed potatoes. I can't leave a plate of anything around without watching her. She'll steal it right off the plate and run under the bed with it. She begs just like a dog at the table, but she doesn't get anything until I clear the table, so she's gotten used to waiting. When I'm standing at the kitchen counter she stretches up as high as she can, and hooks her paws into my pants waistband. Then she hangs there, meowing, meowing, meowing for the food! She makes me laugh hysterically!
    Laura

I see Laura mentioned her cats that wait for their treats - many of my cats (current and passsed) like the leftovers (or at least to lick the plate) after I've eaten, and I find it's been very easy to train each one to wait. They sit patiently at my feet, and have even learned to recognize the distinctive (to them, anyway) rattle of the fork against the plate that signals I'm about to put the plate on the floor for them to help themselves. And dog people say you can't train cats! ! I also have a current cat (who used to be a homeless street cat) that would run with her treats to another room to "hide" them from the other cats! Bless her heart, I'm sure i'ts because in her homeless days she had to eat like that.

[This message has been edited by 4 feline house (edited October 28, 2000).]

Missed these great postings before I started a similar line under "Behavior." So far, I seem to have the only cantaloupe eaters. Nice to know there are other banana, avacado freaks besides my 2 boys (her ladyship is pure carnivor).

my cat loves potatoe chips