Thread: Mandy and her pills!

Mandy and her pills!

Ok so Mandy has yet another ear infection! I think she was born with one! Try giving her pills. She no longer will be fooled by the cheese, balogna,peanut butter, or even stuffing the pill into a big marshmallow. I know how to give a dog a pill the proper way, tossing it in their mouth and holding their mouth shut but don't like doing this to Mandy because of her heart condition. She takes her pills for her heart that way(I don't have to hold her mouth shut) but they're small and she's been doing that since she was four months old. So tonight I bought a few pouches of 'special' food and mixed the pills in the gravy. I swear she had me a nervous wreck this morning before work! Anyways one way or another I will get the pills into her! She is so spoiled and I have *no idea* how she got that way!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

When you have them in the cheese or hot dog or whatever how do you give them? Do you just put it in one piece and then give it?

What I've foun works best is to get about 4 pieces of cheese or hot dog or whatever and put the pill in one. Then I rapidly give blank, blank, pill, blank. The dog is usually so focused on the next reat coming that it just swallows the previous treat as fast as it can. Also having your other dog there to provide some "competition" for the treats can encourage your dog to swallow first ask questioins later.

Good luck!

*Thanks Ashley*

Shelteez2 Yes that's what I do. Give both dogs a piece of something ,then give the pill in next piece, of course not in Laceys and I'll even eat a piece to make it look safe. Last time Mandy took pills was 3 or 4 months ago and then hubby offered her a piece of cheese a few weeks ago and she wouldn't take it! She wasn't even on pills then and hubby has never gave her medication, but the little devil remembered!
    Forever in my heart...

If I don't hide Murphy's medication deep in some yummy canned food, she will spit it out every time!!!!! Good luck to you!

Logan

Poor Mandy!

I remember when Sim had very bad ear problems a while back and I had to give him pills. I used to always just stick it down his throat, toss his muzzle up and rub his throat. Sometimes I'd have to try it more than once, but I always eventually got it down.

He did get smart sometimes though, and would wait until I said "Good Boy" to spit it out.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Do what I do. Just pry their mouth open and shove it down their throat. Duke's a good boy so he just lets me do it. I guess he knows it's for his own good. Will your dog let you do that?

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

Poor Mandy, I wish you the best getting her pills down. I always got Claire to just take hers when she had a UTI, lol, she'd take the pill right out of my hand. I always gave her a treat afterwards so it wouldn't be a total empty stomach.
    [CENTER]
    *Brandy*

Originally posted by Shelteez2
    When you have them in the cheese or hot dog or whatever how do you give them? Do you just put it in one piece and then give it?

What I've foun works best is to get about 4 pieces of cheese or hot dog or whatever and put the pill in one. Then I rapidly give blank, blank, pill, blank. The dog is usually so focused on the next reat coming that it just swallows the previous treat as fast as it can. Also having your other dog there to provide some "competition" for the treats can encourage your dog to swallow first ask questioins later.

Good luck!
    I had a heck of a time giving Dusty his horse pills once he figured out what I was doing. He kept eating the treat and spitting the pill back out . I found that giving Roxy treats with him did the trick. lol. There was no way she was going to steal his treat!

Thank you Wolfie!

dukedogsmom Yes I can shove it down her throat and I held her head up and held her mouth shut and the first one went down. Then the next one was a little more difficult and she sort of choked it back up and in Mandy's case I said no more of that.I worry about holding her mouth shut because of her heart condition.It also gets her all worked up and that's not good either.So I guess she'll be getting gourmet dinners for a few more days!

And Kay, I had a dog that did that . You really thought he had swallowed it and then 'pff' out it comes!
    Forever in my heart...

Thanks Brandy!We'll find a way!

Tonya, Mandy did that a few times too, ate the food and then spit out the pill!She doesn't care even if Lacey trys to take it.Of course I have to grab it cause it has the pill in it.
    Forever in my heart...

Sounds like Mandy knows how to take good advantage of her situation . What about making a game of it such as.. tossing her treats or doing the treat on the nose thing so she's focused on the game instead of what might be in the treat. I was thinking how sometimes Tasha loses interest in her food, but if I pour a handful of kibble in her Buster cube she will keep at it until every last piece is out and eaten, because it's part of the fun in the game.
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

k9soul Funny you talk about a game, but this morning I tricked her!(1 for me )I decided to have hot cocoa for breakfast and took two pills to the table with me. I stuffed the marshmallows with the pills and gave her and Lacey both one. Then I gave her one without , then the other. So she gulped then right down! I guess she didn't associate it with pills because we were at the table! Maybe I can give them to her in different places or situations, or try making a game out of it.Thanks for the suggestion. And yes Mandy knows mommy is a sucker
    Forever in my heart...

Sounds like you have gotten some great advice. Best of luck with this. Be a good girl, Mandy and take all of your pills.

Robin