Thread: update on oscar

update on oscar

Hi everyone:

Well more news about Oscar. He isn't doing to well. He is not eating or drinking at all. I had him back to the vet today. He is running a low fever and still has blood in the urine, the good news is he is peeing. at this point we are feeding him by sringe with food for him in a dish hoping he will start to eat on his own. They are going to do surgery on monday to get rid of the stones and make him a girl kitty. Poor little boy he has to have a sex change. But once this is done he should be back to himself. He hides now and when any of the other cats go to eat he just watches them. He use to go running with them. I can't wiat till this is all over. Thanks for all your prayers.

Love persianmom (Carol)

Re: update on oscar

So sorry to hear that Oscar is so sick. We'll keep him in our prayers!!! He'll be as good as new before you know it!

Originally posted by persianmom
    Poor little boy he has to have a sex change.
    This confused me . . . what exactly do you mean?
    -christa

~RIP Abby Jan 14, 1995 - July 21, 2005~

Re: Re: update on oscar

Originally posted by christa

This confused me . . . what exactly do you mean?
    Hi Christa - I can answer this one since one of my male kitties had the surgery also. When males keep having the stones and urinary crystals that ostruct the flow of urine through the tiny opening in their penis - the surgery actually removes the penis (urethra passes through here) and the skin is stitched in such a way to make a larger opening - more like what a girl kitty has - thus less likely to obstruct. That is what persianmpm (Carol) meant by sex-change. That is pretty much how I explained it to her the other night because that is how my vet explained it to me. I am sure I over simplified it!! No bits and exterior plumbing!! No comments Richard.

Carol - I am really glad they are doing the surgery on Oscar! I know that some still have problems but my Harvey NEVER had another incident ever again. I hope you hear some encouragement from those who have been through it more recently. KAK and Randi have cats who have had the surgery and I bet there are others also. You may want to post this on Cat Health, too!

Poor Oscar. I hope the surgery goes well and Oscarette feels better soon. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

From Decker with Love

I just had a friend that had this done to their cat, Pumpkin. Apparently this is fairly common and with very good results.

Pumpkin lives outside of Los Angeles (land of the fruits & nuts) and Doug was proud to say that he had the first cat on his block with a sex-change opperation! (sick, I know but that's my friend ) When Pumpkin was healed, Doug showed him off to all the "jealous" Toms in the neighborhood...

Keep us updated on Oscar.
    Bunny & Kitties:

Taz - F (7); Majerle - M (4) & Loki - M (8 months)
    (pronounced: Marley).

Thank you, sirrahbed, for the explanation . . . that one had me sooooo confused. That's so sad though . . . but I guess it's necessary in these situations. I'd just never heard of it before.
    -christa

~RIP Abby Jan 14, 1995 - July 21, 2005~

Originally posted by jazzcat
    Poor Oscar. I hope the surgery goes well and Oscarette feels better soon. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Good one Lori! I also hope Oscarella feels better. It's geat being a girl! (sorry Carol, I am BAD) It is all these bad influences around here!! You better watch yourself!

So glad that your baby won't be suffering soon.

Yes, added Oscar and nervous parents to my prayer list!
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

Oh Carol, your poor Oscar. It is so heartbreaking to see one of our furbabies sick.
    You both will be in my prayers on Monday.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

Poor baby boy! Never heard of that before, but if nurse Sirrahbed says it works, then I'm sure it will! Good luck, Oscar!

HUGS to meomie as well!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

I had never known about this

That's one thing I love about PT, I learn! Anyway, there really is nothing "sad" about a male cat going through this surgery. I mean, it means they are no longer ill, live longer, and does anyone know if they have to go on cat antidepressants afterwards for the loss? They have already been nuetered, the appendage is just that! So, kitty is probably happy to be healthy? Or are there reports of male cats missing (emotionally) their appendages? (sorry for being vague- I MEAN penis).
    pixie

WE are praying for our Little Pal Oscar,and hope that the Lord,lets him grow up,to be A Big Kitty,like us!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS