Thread: Oh No!! I'm allergic..........

Oh No!! I'm allergic..........

to cat & dog dander along with some molds

My husband & I have been suffering for a while now and I decided I needed to do something about it. Went to the Allergist and told her the problems. She did one of those skin tests on me (I believe she tested me for 25 different allergins).

Wouldn't you know it, I came up positive to cats! Not to worry though, no one is going any where. I will be starting allergy injections next week

Also found out that my allergist is a cat person who feeds ferals in her neighborhood! She understood my problem completely and we are dealing with it....the correct way!! I don't mind injections as long as I get to keep my babies

Now, to get Tim to see her.........he is the one with the needle fetish (He loves to pass out at the sight of needles, even on TV it makes him woosey - )
    Bunny & Kitties:

Taz - F (7); Majerle - M (4) & Loki - M (8 months)
    (pronounced: Marley).

If I might ask, how expensive was it to have you tested for those allergies? I was considering having myself tested sometime soon, before I continue down the road of being owned by a cat.

We belong to a healthplan.......all I had to pay was our co-pay. Same with the injections, it will just be a co-pay.

The tests are easy (unless you are like my husband ) This is going to be interesting.......going to the doctor once a week for at least a year or more. What we do for our babies.
    Bunny & Kitties:

The same thing happened with my son. He gets weekly allergy injections and we have a hepa filter in the house. They're expensive, but they work great. We also clean the sheets and stuff weekly. Oh, and the air conditioning filters are hepa also.

http://www.breathepureair.com/austin...y_machine.html

Thank you Wolfie!

I can relate. I had the tests done about three years ago and was told I was allergic to casts and to not let the cat in my bedroom. Since then I've added two more cats and one sleeps in my arms everynight. I just take Zyrtec and Flonase and smile between sneezes and nose blows.

From Decker with Love

I had that test done a few years ago too. I'm allergic to everything but cockroaches. Nice, huh?

I've found that my allergies can be controlled with allergy meds quite well. But I've been curious about the injections. How does that work?
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Originally posted by NoahsMommy
    I had that test done a few years ago too. I'm allergic to everything but cockroaches. Nice, huh?

I've found that my allergies can be controlled with allergy meds quite well. But I've been curious about the injections. How does that work?
    What they did for my son is they took everything that he is allergic to and made an injection out of it. Every Friday he comes in and they inject a small amount of pollens in one arm and dusts and dander on the other arm. Each week, they increase the dose so that his body makes a natural immunity. He has to go weekly for about 8 months, then for about 5 years he has to go once a month, after that, they do it yearly.

Thank you Wolfie!

WOW! My worst nightmare...being allergic to cats. Good luck with the treatments.

Good luck with the treatments!! And great that your allergist is so understanding!

Many years ago, I got asthma and when I did the allergy tests, I reacted positive to cats. Doc insisted that there's no other way but to get rid of my Katz who was one year old at that time. Needless to say, I didn't!

At the same time I got that asthma, my father was seriously ill with lung cancer, and only a of days after I did the test he died. From that day on, my asthma has disappeared (these days it only occurs when there are certain pollen in the air).

Funny thing is, when I did another allergy test years later, I did not react to cats anymore. Maybe this was because I just had refused to accept that fact!

Kirsten

Like my Friend Jen,that is my worst Nightmare,being allergic,to the Cats,my Family!I hope taht these shots,are not too onerus,for you!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Well of course you're going to be allergic to cats, isn't that the way things always work out!

I'm glad you're taking a positive step to correct this instead of figuring out what can be done with the cats!
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

Originally posted by jazzcat
    I can relate. I had the tests done about three years ago and was told I was allergic to casts and to not let the cat in my bedroom. Since then I've added two more cats and one sleeps in my arms everynight. I just take Zyrtec and Flonase and smile between sneezes and nose blows.
    Yeah that's what I was told too.....not to let them sleep with us Like that's really going to happen!!

A friend put it really well: "Get rid of the cats or drug Bunny........well we all know the answer to that one!!"

Bunny & Kitties:

I always tease my son and tell him that I have to rehome him since he's allergic to my pets. lol. He seems to do fine as long as he gets his medication and stuff. Since he started the allergy shots, he's only taken claritin. Before hand, he was on claritin, singular, flonase, albuterol and qvar inhalers.

Thank you Wolfie!