Thread: Dandruff

Dandruff

Raven has dandruff really bad right now. I don't want to take her to the vet unless it is necessary because she gets traumatized really easily. What do you think it could be? What should I use to fix it? I've been using some allergy/sensitive skin stuff for pets, but it isn't working. I am tempted to use head and shoulders on her. lol.

Thank you Wolfie!

Are you bathing her often? That will dry her skin out and cause it.

Ripley goes through phases were he has it worse, usually in the winter when it's so dry. I don't do anything for it because it goes away in the spring.

Sorry I'm not much help.

From Decker with Love

I normally only bathe her once or twice a year. But I've bathed her a few times lately because of this dandruff problem. Maybe I should let it be since it's not bothering her, but it looks pretty gross.

Thank you Wolfie!

You could try putting a little olive oil in her food... If it's really bad, you may have to chance a vet visit. One thing, do NOT bathe her in head and shoulders, tempting as it may be! It would probably irritate her skin more than it would help.
    "He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
    -- Immanuel Kant

When we switched to Nutro dandruff went away. Better quality food really helped our gang.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

There are several oils on the market that you can mix with their food, and vitamins as well, that are designed for skin and coat. One of those might help. I can't think of the name of any but I see several different types when I go to Petsmart. I think Walmart even carries some. It might be worth a try. You will have to let us know how it works if you get any.

I am finding that the Older cats,who cant groom,the back,of thier tails,are fairly prone,to dandruff,and I have to get the slicker,out,to clear away the dead skin!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    My vet suggested Flax Oil for Mitzi because she had horrible dandruff when I adopted her. As Mitzi is my oh-so-very picky eater, I opted for a better quality food that has more of the omega oils and flax oil in it and her fur has gotten a whole lot better. Almost no kitty dandruff anymore. Brushing her regularly (almost every day) also helps get the dandruff out and redistribute her skin oils into the fur. She's only been bathed once and it seemed to have helped the problem. My vet doesn't encourage bathing as indoor cats rarely need it. HTH

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Originally posted by RedHedd
    My vet suggested Flax Oil for Mitzi because she had horrible dandruff when I adopted her. As Mitzi is my oh-so-very picky eater, I opted for a better quality food that has more of the omega oils and flax oil in it and her fur has gotten a whole lot better. Almost no kitty dandruff anymore. Brushing her regularly (almost every day) also helps get the dandruff out and redistribute her skin oils into the fur. She's only been bathed once and it seemed to have helped the problem. My vet doesn't encourage bathing as indoor cats rarely need it. HTH
    The same thing has worked for Cammie. We ATTEMPTED to bath her once, but stopped when she exploded in terror. (No one needed stitches, but it was close). Daily brushing has really helped the situation.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?
    One of my friend Barbara's cats had horrible dandruff....the most severe case I've ever seen. The vet had her add safflower oil to his food daily, and within days it cleared it up!
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

Thank you!

Thank you Wolfie!